The Realization That You Are Going To Die

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

You can't help but feel bad for many long time Jehovah's Witnesses who believed that "The End" was "right around the corner". These oldtimers recognize that everyrhing they preached about was wrong regarding the "generation". They KNOW that they are going to die. They KNOW that they are not among the "millions that will never die". They were duped but still feel they must carry on.

It's actually quite sad.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah thanks for the reminder Minimus!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Death isn't so bad. I don't think I ever really believed the whole JW thing anyway.

BTS

• Decided
    Decided

Death is getting closer one day at a time. No one has survived it yet. Let's see, what can I do to enjoy this day?

Ken P.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree, we must live life to the fullest. It's too bad JWs waste all their time, youth and vigor on a lie.

• White Dove
    White Dove

When thinking about death, I find myself thinking about how I was non-existant before, so why should death be any different?

I have no memory of existing before (even if reincarnation isn't real). I simply WASN'T. I remind myself that death is the same thing, although also a process to get to non-existance.

I did it before I was conceived and can do it again, albeit in reverse. Big deal. At least that is what I tell myself.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I pitty anyone in a religious system that teaches people to disown themselves for their lie.

• White Dove
    White Dove

My grandparents are who you are talking about. He's been an elder since they were invented and a servant in the same capacity since before time.

They still stubbornly hold to their "faith" even though it's founded on lie after lie after lie, aka new light.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day minimus,

Accepting the inevitability of my death was quite refreshing and made me consciously value and celebrate my life like I'd never done before.

Ten years on and I'm not sure if I'm going to die or not. Even if we revert back to spirit as is so popularly claimed, I know I won't come in the combination of this body place and time ever again.

Older dubs I know seem to have an incling that something is terribly wrong with watchtower beliefs but have resigned themselves to an attitude of "but where else can we go lord..." The JW mind trap is very strong stuff.

unclebruce

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

When they changed that definition of the Generation in...I think it was like November of 94 or there abouts...and it now was "open ended" I began to cry in front of my kids that we had been lied to! We were going to DIE and all this time I had been telling my kids we were going to live forever and the end was imminent! Boy...I went ballistic. That article was indeed the straw for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit