Jail those who turn a blind eye to child abuse, says Cameron

by JHK 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cha ching
    cha ching

I agree, children's interests should be put first. If EVERY one were obligated to report, there would be a whole lot less "slipping through the cracks"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nobody inside the WTS/JWs - nobody - should initiate an investigation.

They already do with culpable damaging results and effects.

I know where your coming from Orphan Crow , with the uselessly redundant investigation such as were there two witnesses etc.

Quite frankly I'd like to see the elders taken right out the picture all together for the reasons you mentioned but being how JW think that all begotten sinful behavior should be reported to elders first and not those worldly police authorities. what else is the choice ?

I'd like to see a overall law that states that religious organizations have to make notice of any possible acts of pedophilia with their organizations to the police, to not to would result a severe fine and possible jail time for any individuals involved.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    what else is the choice ?

Do the same as Canada does. Make it mandatory for everyone to report suspected child abuse. That way, if a JW decides to report to the elders instead of the authorities, they also are legally culpable.

They already do with culpable damaging results and effects.
    I know where your coming from Orphan Crow , with the uselessly redundant investigation such as were there two witnesses etc.

It isn't just the two witness rule that is damaging. Just questioning a child who is suspected of being a victim of sexual abuse re-traumatizes the child. People who are not professionals should not be questioning the child at any time. That is why the elders should never be allowed to investigate - as soon as there is a report of suspected child abuse, the elders should immediately call the proper authorities who have access to professionals who know how to handle the investigation without further harming the victim.

The elders should not even have the option to investigate. They should not be allowed to question the victim. By doing so, they are not only harming the victim, they are obstructing justice. Their inept handling of child abuse allegations can, and does, result in the mishandling of testimony and evidence.

• cofty
    cofty

Unfortunately this is not a law about mandatory reporting.

It is simply an extension of the law on wilful neglect to apply to a wider group of professionals. It is very difficult to establish wilful neglect in court.

Cameron is anticipating the fallout of a report that is due out next week about the widespread abuse in Oxford involving more than 300 children. This follows on from the revelation of organised abuse in Rotherham of 1,400 girls over many years.

It does not go nearly far enough.

Whatever you think of Nigel Farage he has it spot on...

Farage said the reason child sexual abuse in Rotherham had not been dealt with ­earlier was that “the police and the authorities were frightened that because the perpetrators were predominantly Pakistani Muslim men that, if they said anything about it, they might get called racists. So, we have been frightened of our own shadows.”

When Farage says "predominately" he means all but one. Most of those men are still free, driving taxis and working in shops and restaurants.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Finkelstein - "In regards to the WTS, what this organization should do in these situations is go through a investigation on their own and determine if local police authorities should be called in for their own investigation."

Yes, we've all seen the results of that kind of policy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit