Family is shunning us.

by AgentSmith 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• besty
    besty

Same thing here - i had told my family we weren't going back for the forseaable future and left it at that with no more details.

Next time my brother and SIL were in the house - BLAM - told them everything.

Fast forward 4 months and brother elder CoBOE is flying 1000 miles to be star witness at my JC.

Now being shunned by them, but like you I have 2 x boys young enough not to remember the KH, which really was the object of the exercise.

Same news + different people.

• jakes
    jakes

Hey AgentSmith

Hang in there. It gets better. Believe me.

Robin

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Welcome to the club, Agent Smith, sorry to have you among us. There's not a single rational person on the planet who can understand how JWs can turn so arbitrarily on flesh and blood. Be prepared to feel frustration and anger for quite some time!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is a tough situation, but one of their making..

Do you ever think bad to the days when you were an active dub, and wonder how you would have reacted then to the same situation? I am sure that I would have wanted to keep communication open, and show the person that they would be better coming back...Until such time as the congregation actually announced it, I am sure I would want to be close to someone, especially family.

I do not understand this animosity..It is their loss.

• dobbie
    dobbie

What you both did was really brave, it takes guts to come out and tell them so well done.

I have little ones too, one of them does remember the hall, the other doesn't, they are the reason we got out. Although it was my hubbys family shunning me, i too found it extremely hurtful and went through so many different emotions hurt, upset, feeling stupid, blazing anger at them and at myself, you will probably go through it too - it is totally normal.

I am now so much happier, two yrs on, i still have been left with anger i admit, but life is great, we have a normal happy family life and am v proud of my family. Hubbys own mother who lives in the same small town has never seen her 11 month old grandson and my 4 yr old doesn't remember her, we put their attitude down to mental illness as thats how we see the religion nowadays. Please stay strong, its a rollercoaster ride of emotions but such a relief to be out of it all, and it really does get better.x

• BigBloomerz
    BigBloomerz

It is a hard situation to go through, I myself am going through it now, but remember the rewards.

At the end of the day it is there fault that they dont wish to speak to you, not yours. They are the ones being "told" what to do. Just like BluesBrother says "its their loss"

Keep Smiling and it will get easier.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Thank you for sharing your experience and having the courage to finally be honest with your family - something I have a hard time fathoming in my situation, but eventually I will have to do the same for my own sanity and peace.

I am beginning to find it very hard to grow spiritually, but at the same time have to lie and/or hide how I really feel. I haven't been out a year yet, and with DC time coming, everyone is asking.. when's your convention? what hotel are you at? did you see the program, etc..etc...

I really tried to break it to my mom, that I was having doubts, but she got really emotional, teary and telling me that doubting is what Satan wants, yadda, yadda, yadda. I couldn't tell her the whole truth.

Anyway, I know it's hard right now but hang in there. The internet is exposing this religion more and more for what it is and you never know who in your family may stumble onto the real truth. Plus, from what I see, it gets easier.

Take care.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Agent Smith (and others in a similar position), I know what you are going through, because my brother no longer talks to me. He actually cut off all association while I was still a JW, going to meetings and FS! All I did was make it known (after being prodded for hours) that I did NOT believe that Christ directly appoints the GB, which contradicts the WT of 2001. JW’s always said there would be a coming persecution, but I did not realize that it would come from THEM. When it is family, it especially hurts and so I am sorry for you, I can empathize.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thanks for all your kind words. We are starting to feel a bit better about the family issues. It was just such a horrible experience. My parents are also JW but all three of their kids have left the borg so they have decided to still talk to us. I know my mom would not be able to cut all of her kids off. I think that's what makes it so hard for Agent Smith, his folks cut him off and my pioneer parents haven't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit