Most parents would be proud...

by Odrade 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Odrade
    Odrade

I had lunch with my JW brother yesterday. About a year ago, he had an emotional crisis and questioned a lot of things, including his faith. I thought (and hoped) that he would consider his beliefs and come realize that his beliefs were part of his crisis. This was not the case, but he and I continue to be on good terms. He has since, however, gone fully back to the JWs. We still get together frequently, and he doesn't make any effort to keep me a big bad secret. Yesterday we dropped in on one of his JW friends, to see his new baby. (They were very nice.)

Anyways, about 6 weeks ago, my mother "disfellowshipped" me. I had dropped by their house to pick up something from my dad. She came in, left a hallmark card on the counter with my name on it, then went out and stood in the garage. I asked my dad, "am I supposed to take that?" He said, "I'm not sure, it has your name on it, so I guess so." When I got home I read this letter that basically said blah blah blah, you won't tell me what is happening with you, you're not my family, etc, etc.

None of this was a particular surprise, because my mother is given to this type of manipulative behavior anyways. She has, at various times, quit speaking to me for extended periods of time. The last time was when I told her that in the case of medical decisions she had better have her wishes in writing, because I would not submit to headship and allow my brother to make decisions simply because he was "the boy." I think in that incident I didn't hear from her for 2-3 months.

This time, I am just tired of fighting her in order to have some semblance of a normal relationship. She can have it. She has played headgames like this ever since I can remember, even when I was a "good JW." At some instinctive level, I want "a" mother to love me and be proud of me. "My" mother does not, and truthfully never has, fit that bill. I'm jealous of women who have good relationships with their mothers, but really have no context to know what that is like, in spite of having periods in my life where we have both played at having a friendship. TBH, if I knew her purely on a social level, I would stay far, far away from her, although admittedly, she is very good at fooling people (including herself) into believing that she is sweet and generous and loving...

I'm rambling.

Yesterday at lunch, my brother and I were talking about random stuff - he got a job somewhere that offers an interesting benefits package that exceeds the typical insurance/401k- he gets tuition breaks at a very good school and is thinking of taking a few classes. We talked about my business, and his friends, and the fact that neither of us have kids, want kids, but are ambivalent about it sometimes...

He made a half-hearted attempt to justify our parents' attitude toward me. He said "they're worried, they're very worried about your life." As if I don't know that.

I'm tired of allowing them the right and justification to feel like that. It's sick and wrong.

I told my brother, "you know, I'm sorry they feel that way, but I have to behave with integrity, I have to do what I believe is right. You realize that ordinary parents would be very proud of us as their children. We've done well, and normal parents would be proud of that and happy for us."

I'm utterly tired of being the abnormal one for leaving the JW, and I'm not going to let that stand anymore.

After lunch we stopped by our parents' house. Mom went out in the other room, although she did say "hi." (Nothing more, just "hi." Does that mean that this episode of the silent treatment is over? do I care?) Dad still treats me with respect and love, in spite of his stupid exclusionary and apocalyptic beliefs.

I try to be reasonable and accepting. I try to realize that their religion is a huge part of their lives, personality, choices, and that they have the right to choose that. Heck, I'm even mindful that they are guaranteed the right to whatever asinine belief they choose by the same constitution that guaranteed my right to be free from their asinine belief.

But I still hate it. I HATE it. I hate that there is no way possible for me to ever have a normal family. I hate that my parents see me as dead every time they look at me. I HATE HATE HATE that my mother gets accolades and love and support from people because she turns her back on her daughter.

And I hate that I left that horrible cult 6 years ago, and I am still forced to deal with their attitudes and actions.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:This time, I am just tired of fighting her in order to have some semblance of a normal relationship. She can have it. She has played headgames like this ever since I can remember, even when I was a "good JW." At some instinctive level, I want "a" mother to love me and be proud of me. "My" mother does not, and truthfully never has, fit that bill.

OMG! You must be my long-lost sister! We have BOTH the same mothers and fathers.

Small world, eh? :)

Farkel

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Aw, Honey! I'm so sorry. What utter crap to have to live through. Thank heavens you have such a great relationship with your Dad and brother despite their indoctrinations.

There is not much to say because the hurt diminishes, but I don't think it ever goes away. At least you have your own mind and your priorities are in the right place. That's no small feat, from whence we came.

Love,
    Baba.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Girl I know exactly how you feel! You, I and Farkel all have the same parents it seems.

I gave up a long time ago trying to make my mother proud of me. I tried but the more I tried the more miserable I felt. The only thing that came out of that is that I'm an overacheiver Finally I just accepted the fact that even if she never ackowledged it, i was a good person and I am proud of myself. Nothing to prove to anyone except me (and my kids)

And yes, any other parent would be proud of you for who you are. Not what church you attend or religion you choose. Keep you chin up and try not to let their stupid little cult rules and regulations get to you.

nj

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

It can be extremely irritating. If they truly believe the bible they would know that everyone has the right to choose which road they will take. You simply decided that you want to take a different religious road than your parents. It seems so simple but is the cause of so much grief. I'm so sorry that you still have deal with this so many years after making a stand for yourself.

The whole "they are worried about your life" bit, I get that one too from JW friends. I tell them my life is fine and that I feel so hopefull and then they respond with "But for how long? That what Satan does. Lures you out in the world, make it seem all happy and then he has the world chew you up and spit you out. Then you will be sorry that you left. By then it will be too late." Total downers.

And you're right, most parents would be proud of you. Just keep being you. Maybe your mom will come around one day. As long as you don't expect it, you'll be less irritated and one day pleasantly surprised.

• recovering
    recovering

I sent you a pm odrade

• Odrade
    Odrade

Farkel, I don't think it was you eating pizza with me yesterday, but you'd be welcome to join us.

Ditto to you, ex-nj!

Baba, unfortunately, I do NOT have a "great relationship" with my Dad. I have a very sad and strained relationship with him. But I know he loves me, and he tries to show it as well as he can through his conditioning, and deep down (unlike my mother,) I think he is proud of me, except that it would be wrong, so he has to stuff that down. That has to be enough, I suppose, where they are concerned. Most days I've achieved indifference, but yeah, some days it hurts.

shop, I have utterly no delusions of being "pleasantly surprised" regarding my mother. She is as fanatical and devoid of a normal worldview as they come. She "replaced" me many years ago with other "daughters" my age... even before I quit the JWs, she had her "spiritual daughters" - women who were at Bethel, or pioneering, or special pioneering, and who have only ever heard her "sweet voice" and who have no idea just how unswervingly and exclusively devoted she is to her Watchtower. Some of these women (and even their husbands) call her "mom" and their children call her "grandma."

recovering, thanks for the pm. Small favors, my upbringing was nowhere near that level.

• LDH
    LDH

This story, repeated millions of times, is happening every day in the lives of grown XJW children who have moved forward and away from this religion, and the parents who don't know HOW to be proud of them, or even happy for them.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Odrade- And I hate that I left that horrible cult 6 years ago, and I am still forced to deal with their attitudes and actions.

Great thread. You sound like my wife.....in a good way!

I appreciate that you aren't playing "hide and seek" with them, although I am sure that like most who still have some form of communication with their JW family, you have to use the squelch button more often than not. Of course they can say whatever they want because, heck they have the trooof right?

It is a frustration that our families should actually be proud of the character/integrity that we show in the stand we have taken.

Keep showing that character! It will be an anchor for your brother one day. Trust me.

Frank75

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Your story has some similarities to my own. I finally had to realize that the WT is not the only problem my family is facing. I agree that it is extremely frustrating to see people you love act in ways that are so dysfunctional.

I hope you feel proud of yourself that you have found a better way to live, and can recognize this is abnormal and unhealthy. There are many people who grew up like we did and never have that realization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit