1942 Consolation series "Japan Inspired of the Devil"

by cabasilas 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Recently I obtained some issues of Consolation for the year 1942 (predecessor for today’s Awake!) through an online auction. One of the first articles to catch my attention was a 4 part series of articles on Japan, written just after the Pearl Harbor attack in December 1941. They begin with the February 18, 1942 issue. The first article is entitled “Japan Inspired of the Devil.” The series concludes with the April 1, 1942 issue. The first two issues have been scanned by others before, but now I had the entire 4 part series to read.

Each segment of the series is 9 pages long and reflect the vitriolic anti-Catholicism of Watchtower leaders of that era. For example, the claim is made that “the present war [World War II] is of Jesuit origin” (March 4, 1942 Consolation, p. 9). Consolation goes on to say that “Both the Nazis and the Japanese want to rule the world, and so does Rome” (April 1, 1942 Consolation, p. 10). Consolation further asserts: “The friendship between Japan and the Vatican is motivated, obviously, by their closely-linked desire to see British and American power abolished, and on the part of the Vatican, to clear the way for a more aggressive “catholification” of the world” (March 4, 1942 Consolation, p. 8).

What particularly surprised me was the demonization of the Japanese people that appears, particularly in the third article of the series: “Japan Oppressed by the Devil” in the March 18, 1942 issue of Consolation. Under the subheading “The Pitiful Descendants of the ‘Gods’” on page 6, the article highlights primitive sanitary conditions in Japan, “plentiful” rats and stray dogs, a high incidence of “tuberculosis and similar diseases” and spitting: “Spitting is common.” It is quite apparent that the Watchtower Society could reflect some of the same sort of racist statements that can be found in some other American newspapers and journals of the era immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack. The same issue appears suspicious of people of Japanese ancestry living in the United States (pages 10—11) and pokes fun at Christian churches which were sympathetic to the plight of the Japanese Americans.

All in all, this series in Consolation on Japan is one of the most bizarre things I’ve read in Watchtower publications, particularly considering that the Witnesses had declared a policy of neutrality just a couple of years before in 1939. I’ve scanned the series into a PDF and those that might be interested in reading it can download it from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=20c9e4f74202a7f712a1f3940744f1d6

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Our computer receives a "Forbidden" message. Try another hosting site!

Many thanks, Cabasilas!

N.-

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Atlantis, sorry about that! Here's another download link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kzje3m

Hopefully, that one will work!

Here's what the March 18, 1942 Consolation had to say about the "suspicious" Japanese in America. (For background: A history of the events that led up to the internment of Japanese Americans can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment )

Consolation said:

But Suspicious

Japanese have had spyphobia for some time, with rather annoying results to resident

and visiting aliens, who found themselves followed by plain-clothes men,

stopped by police at almost every important crossroad and generally harassed,

but always given profuse apologies when they took the matter to the

police station. This was the experience of an American family that for years had

lived in Japan, and spoke Japanese fluently.

This suspicion is but a reflection of the fact that many Japanese themselves

are not on the up-and-up in their activities in America. It is those that are subversive

themselves that on the slightest provocation suspect and accuse others of

being subversive. Japanese activities in California have been organized in such

a way as to give them every opportunity to spy on America under cover of being

fishermen, small businessmen or what not. An article in Friday magazine of

May 9, 1941, called attention to the extent of Japanese espionage and fifthcolumn

activity in Mexico and California. Germans were often in evidence along

with these Japan-directed activities. There was much photographing being

done by "camera enthusiasts" and the films were brought to Japanese stores

to be developed. It was easy to get to Japan from Manzanillo.

Japanese born in Japan but now living in America, particularly in California,

may have America for their physical home, but Japan is their spiritual home,

and claims their religious and patriotic loyalty. They try to indoctrinate their

children with the same viewpoint, but not always with success. An article in Ken

magazine of May 4, 1939, claimed that the Japanese in California are exceptionally

industrious, moral, easily assimilated, and that those of American birth are

becoming valuable and increasingly loyal citizens. What effect the war may have

on the picture is another question.

Ken, in its issue of ,June 22, however, revealed that native Americans, some of

whom are U. S. Army reserve officers, were co-operating with Japanese, German

and Italian agents on the west coast in secret activities pointing to a plan for

attacking the United States. It stated that present and former reserve officers

of the American armed forces were building and helping to arm a secret army

within the United States. The setup was complete, linking the German, Italian

and Japanese consulates. They were all ostensibly interested in Communist activity

in the United States, and by Americans, which was none of their business.

At the same time secret Japanese, Nazi and Italian agents were storing drums of

a German-made chemical near the naval and air base at San Diego, capable of

sinking the American fleet without firing a single shot. Japanese navy officers

were issuing orders to Japanese "farmers" just south of the American border

to get more land for building emergency airfields.

The same paper mentioned that the Shiriya, a J a p an e s e "naval" vessel,

claimed immunity from search when it was in port, and at sea mysteriously

changed its course, taking its oil cargo to an undisclosed destination in the

Pacific. When in port its officers had mysterious conferences in a Tia Juana dance hall.

Seattle Churches Praise Them

The Seattle Council of Churches, probably under the "spiritual" leadership of

Bishop Shaughnessy, in November lauded the good character of the Japanese

in the Pacific Northwest and assured them of the sympathy and co-operation

of the church, saying, "Please do not hesitate to confer with any Christian

pastor relative to any problem that may arise."

But a newsletter published under date of July 9,1941, points out that there are

approximately 90,000 Nisei (American citizens of Japanese ancestry) on the

West Coast. of whom two-thirds held dual citizenship. In private Japanese language

schools it was found that two sets of textbooks were on hand. One set was

shown to investigators and contained nothing objectionable, while the set actually

used preached loyalty to Japan and its "god emperor" and t r e a s o n

against the American government. Here is a sample :

As citizens of this country (Japan) and offsprings of this (Japanese) nation, we

admire its brilliance. Our national language cannot be forgotten in our hearts, not even

for a single day, especially if we remember that we are children of Gods. The objective

of Japanese education, no matter in what country it may be, is to teach the people

never to be ashamed of their Japanese citizenship. First comes language, and then history.

We must never forget-not even for a moment-that we are Japanese citizens…

Be thankful you are a Japanese, and worship the Imperial family.

This trick of dual citizenship is a trick that has immense possibility for harm.

It is a trick that has long been used by the Hierarchy and its religious orders.

The Catholic population may be less culpable in this matter, but it is often a

matter of uncertainty where the loyalty of a person lies whose religious allegiance

is so closely identified with the totalitarian spirit of a foreign hierarchy

that is religio-political in its aims and objectives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, the Watchtower Society was following the spirit of the times in casting suspicion on all people of Japanese descent then living in America. Consolation noted that the Seattle Council of Churches had offered support for Japanese Americans. This was followed by a quick rebuttal in the article to that idea.

Jehovah's Witnesses are often lauded for their concern for human rights and freedoms. Often, however, it's a concern that's only for themselves and not for others as this case shows.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Yes, that new link worked just fine! Beautiful job! Thank you so much for your hard work.

N.

• LDH
    LDH

Thank you for posting this. I live less than two miles from the original Japanese internment camp that was to become the shame of America.

It is interesting to note that the Constipation Consolation in fact, was not in any way spiritually ahead of the curve, but rather was echoing the popular sentiment of the day.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Atlantis, LDH, you're welcome! LDH, you have a PM.

I doubt it, but wonder if this Consolation series was ever translated into Japanese? I doubt it'd go over very well there.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, cabasilas.

Thank you for the valuable material.
    You always do a good job.
    I will peruse those contents later.

Although it is a wartime period, and situations are very different from now,
    I feel that the Watch Tower society's words and deeds are inexcusable for me who am a Japanese.

But I appreciate that Christian churches contacted to Japanese Americans gently.

possible
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/

P.S.
    I do not know whether that magazine "Consolation" was published in Japanese.
    At that time, Junzo Akashi was thrown into prison.
    Therefore, the translator himself was not seeing that material.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Unbelievable! Thanks for posting this. The WT never ceases to amaze me.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

cabasilas, You are a star I award you the first order of merit on the new board..

That was amazing, what was the Judge tippling at that time? He is going against every principle of neutrality and non-political stance , that the WT ever stood for. The stuff about Pearl Harbour was totally pro the American War and praising the heroics of the U S servicemen...

I am struck that this was written in 1942. That is well into the modern era of the WTS. The dubs could dismiss it as the mistaken beliefs of an organization in its infancy....but I bet they would.

• blondie
    blondie

Rutherford died on 1/8/1942, so I'm assuming if he wrote this it was a little bit before this.

Reading his writings, it is no surprise that jws were given a hard time in the 30's and 40's. But then the WTS believes that persecution is mandatory if you are a "true" Christian.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit