Any Vegans on the Board?

by PrimateDave 69 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

I've been a vegetarian and a vegan in my adult life and am currently an omnivore. My favorite vegetarian cookbook is Laurel's Kitchen, out of print but worth getting. Dave, you'll love the black bean soup recipe in there.

To whomever asked, avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague. Including Splenda. I generally use honey or molasses.

I had to "learn" to eat dairy when I was pregnant because I don't like dairy products. I do make my own yogurt and I eat a little bit of mozzarella cheese on pizza. Otherwise, I learned to put milk in my coffee so that I could get in a serving of dairy every day.

I buy my meat from local organic farmers. I'm going to be getting a side of beef in April or May. I've MET the black angus I'm going to be consuming and he's a beauty. I get my eggs locally from a friend of mine who raises them. She makes her own chicken feed, all natural. I save all of my egg cartons for her to reuse. I grow organic vegetables in my yard. I belong to a CSA and purchase not only veggies from them all summer long but also get free range chickens from them. I get a better price than the general public because I'm a CSA member. I buy grain, dairy, and fruits from some local Amish and/or Dunker farmers. I try very hard to practice 100-mile eating, where everything I eat has been grown within 100 miles of my home, thus cutting down on transportation and pollution.

I make a big crock pot full of vegetable soup every Sunday. We eat it for lunch all week. I cook from scratch. I use my crock pot a lot. I rarely eat out.

I do a lot of the typical rural things, like can foods in the fall. I make applesauce and can it. I have two freezers and I freeze things, like carrots, that I don't like canned. I make soup and can it. I can and freeze meat. I can green beans. I make bread a lot. When I buy whole milk, I skim off the cream and make my own butter.

Dave, it is a full-time job to eat like this. I can't just run down to the store and buy what I need because I'm trying to live intentionally. It requires a lot of planning to buy things at the right time, schedule time to process them, and then spend time every single day cooking it all.

BTW, I do put my steel cut oats in the crock pot before bedtime so that breakfast at least is ready when I get up.

I don't drink soda, just water, coffee, and tea. Occasionally I have "real" root beer. Sometimes when I'm out I treat myself to Diet Dr. Pepper but I'm fully aware that it's bad for me.

You can do this. If you don't want to give up meat altogether, find someone like me. My husband's coworkers are always buying a couple of pounds of fresh organic beef from us, from our freezer.

StAnn

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sounds to me as if you've done plenty of research, so you are almost guaranteed to improve your diet. Who knows what the perfect-human-diet is, but any informed person would agree that it isn't the carnivorous American diet.

My daughter has been a vegan (and very strict) for most of her life. She's got to be one of the healthiest 17 year olds on the planet. That could be unrelated to her diet, but it seems unlikely.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My oldest son's roommates are vegan and it is a PAIN. You know us moms, always wanting to drop by with a bag of groceries. I dropped off some fresh homemade things once and the first question I got was, "Does that bread have milk in it? Do those noodles have eggs in them?" OMG, don't get me started on things that have butterfat in them. I can't cope with veganism but that's my thing. It takes more time and work than I'm willing to put in.

BTW, I can't eat soy. Makes me sick. And we used to grow soybeans and toasted them in the oven, and they are GOOD like that. But they make me sick.

And for whoever asked, I'm in Ohio and we have Boca Burgers here. I have Boca chili in my freezer right now that someone gave me.

StAnn

• inkling
    inkling
    To whomever asked, avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague. Including Splenda.

Why, exactly?

I mean, besides the fact they taste weird.

[inkling]

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Not vegan but a vegetarian.

I am not against eating meat per say but I do object to the manner that we in the west gorge ourselves on factory reared meat. If it was a case of fattening up a pig to slaughter and eat just once a year, I could go along with the omnivore argument. However, I challenge anyone to watch a video on the way that pigs are reared (sows are literally clamped horizontally in rearing pens so they don't roll over on their piglets) intensively and not think seriously about at least switching to free range. Even then, in a world that is rapidly running out of resources, it is hard to justify the expense of feeding grain to and watering animals - a vegetarian diet is far greener.

Finally, there are the health benefits. The USA, UK and West Europe have an adult population where the majority of adults and children are now over weight.

Having said all that, a healthy diet is no guarantee to health. I am vegetarian, weight about 140 lbs, run about 5 miles 5 days per week, don't drink too much and still I have high blood pressure!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"Furthermore, a little of this vitamin [B-12] goes a long, long way. The body can store it for at least 5 years, maybe longer, so there's virtually always adequate amounts for anyone who occasionally eats meat or dairy products. In fact, there's evidence that vegans who previously ate animal-based food may have vitamin B-12 stores that will not be depleted for 20 to 30 years or more." - Charles R. Attwood, M.D., F.A.A.P

That is not the position taken by the Vegan Society. If you spend enough time searching, you can always find someone to quote to support anything. I would be questioning the quality of Charlie's supposed 'evidence'.

There are serious implications for people who get it wrong, and if those people have children, then the children suffer for the parents beliefs.

I suggest you read this article http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/b12/

Cheers

Chris

• dobbie
    dobbie

i've been a vegetarian for about 24 yrs, since i was 12. I did try to become a vegan at 15, but with a father who was firstly a butcher and then a milkman, plus my love of chocolate lol it didn't work. I ended up v anaemic and mum and i had to see a dietician as we didn't have a clue on what i should be eating! Mind you i was lovely and slim cos i hardly ate anything! I know its alot tougher being vegan though you can have soya milk and even chocolate. You would need to eat lots of pulses some nuts etc.

I still cook meat for hubby and the kids tho they actually prefer the veggie food, but although raw meat turns my stomach over wouldn't be fair to make them veggie, that's up to them to decide when they are older, it doesn't bother me either way.

You could always try veganism for a couple of months say and see how you are feeling, then if you find its not right for you, too hard etc go back to your normal diet. My favorite recipe is lentil bolognese if you'd like the recipe let me know.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

St. Ann, I envy you! So much fresh food!

I don't think being vegetarian with infrequent animal derived foods will be too difficult for me. I'm single. I cook just for myself. I have so many choices even at a regular supermarket that I can't begin to fathom all the possibilities and combinations.

However, I wonder if some people associate vegan/vegetarian diets with "diets." I know there are people who do this specifically to lose weight. With unrealistic goals and expectations they end up starving themselves, binge on all the forbidden foods and wind up worse off than when they started.

Dave

• LDH
    LDH

Dave,

I've refrained from commenting till I read quite a few posts. I support your endeavor. My family is not vegetarian, except for about three or four days a week. I completely agree with eyeslice. Our Western dependence on MEAT has cost us a lot more than our waistlines! If everyone gave up meat one day a week permanently , the price of gas would drop farther.

Think about the transport of animals, grains or food, trips to the slaughterhouse, packinghouse, and grocery stores....all dependent on gasoline.

St Ann may not believe it but I too belong to a CSA and buy organic when I can. When I can't, I buy responsibly such as free-range fed meats. I have two freezers and constantly rotate my green veggies. My family requests green veggies two or three nights a week; sauteed spinach etc.

Dave, I no longer drink soda or coffee and here is my preferred drink.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=1381491&cgrfnbr=1574580&prrfnbr=1586816

Let me know if you can't get it and I'll send you some.

• LDH
    LDH

Sometimes I eat a handful of walnuts instead of a meal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit