What is religion anyway?

by I quit! 33 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Special pleading, anyone?

Not special pleading, science studies the natural, the supernatural is by definition, not. If it is subject to a naturalistic explanation, it becomes natural by default.

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Not special pleading, science studies the natural, the supernatural is by definition, not. If it is subject to a naturalistic explanation, it becomes natural by default.

Yeah, but think about that. Something's given the "supernatural" label because there is not enough evidence to analyze it with science. If something is real and affects our universe, science can analyze it using the same tools we analyze the rest of the natural world. If something does not affect our universe and is undetectable to any scientific measuring, then that something is as good as non-existent.

Personally I think the "supernatural" label is applied when people want to believe in it but there is really no logical, objective reason to. It's easier to call it "supernatural" and claim that science can't test it instead of admitting that maybe it shouldn't be believed.

Can you name a single supernatural thing that has objective evidence for its existence? ...something backed up by more than just anecdotal experience?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If something is real and affects our universe, science can analyze it using the same tools we analyze the rest of the natural world.

You may attempt analyze the effects in this world, but not necessarily the thing itself. However, unless the effects are repeatable, they are nothing more than anomalous. And since the supernatural causes are not subject to scientific repeatability, they are not subject to scientific judgemen.

Why do you confuse the issue?
    Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about?
    Pull yourself together, drwatn32!
    Up on your feet! Stand tall!
    I have some questions for you,
    and I want some straight answers.
    Where were you when I created the earth?
    Tell me, since you know so much!
    Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
    Who came up with the blueprints and measurements?
    How was its foundation poured,
    and who set the cornerstone

Can you name a single supernatural thing that has objective evidence for its existence?

See my previous post above.

BTS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Religion is a system of rules that take away from the Prime Law, which is to initiate no force, threats of force, or fraud against another person or their property. Anything that needlessly complicates that, and then prevents the majority of the population from seeing it clearly, is totally a fraud and a scam. Which religion is.

It is also a complete waste of time, money, energy, and resources.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit