Would the world be a better place if there was no religion?

by LouBelle 23 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Would it?

In many ways it would, because there has been so much bloodshed, torture, misunderstanding between humans because of their different religions and all done in the name of their god. Today everyone still wants their faith to be right & many arguments have been had over who is right and wrong.

Then again religion has kept many people in check - doesn't allow the masses to run around willy nilly in their freedom. It controls the masses.

For me personally - I would say No Religion makes for a happier/better existance.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Not really, because even if you do away with religion, mankind will always find a way to oppress his fellow man.

A lot of so-called religious wars were really wars of unbridled avarice and power. Religion was just used as a catalyst.

Now, you can do "away" with religion (like they have in Communist countries), but man's inclination towards greed and power will still remain. In my mind, those are the real troublemakers. And sadly, they will always be part of the human condition.

• sacolton
    sacolton

If it's not religion, it's race, politics, money, gender, etc ...

Humans need to bitch about something.

• poppers
    poppers

Peace won't happen until mankind as a whole can see what happens within themselves that creates division. As already mentioned, if it's not religion it will be something else. What is it that recognizes what arises in mind, the arena of division - find that and dwell there and the world will be a better place. Mind will then be used by people instead of keeping them trapped in division.

• delilah
    delilah

No, there would be more chaos, imho. As others have pointed out, man will always find something to fight about..and besides, I think some people like to have some sort of belief system, they need it, they crave it.

As Mary and I have often discussed, she has a real spiritual need, I don't. I think there are a lot of people who have that same spiritual need, and religion, nurtures it for them.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Psychologist Carl Jung:

You can take away a man's gods, but only to give him others in return.

No psychic value can disappear without being replaced by another of equivalent intensity.

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I would like to think the world would be better off without any religion, superstitions, or other pseudoscience. In many ways it would... we wouldn't have people killing others in the name of their god.

I hate to say it, but it seems there's a type of person that needs the sort of control, direction, and certainty (albeit false) that religion provides. Some day I think mankind will progress past the need for superstition, but it'll be a while.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It wouldn't be better off, but it wouldn't be worse I think.

Humans act the same regardless of what religion they are, therefore why would they change if they didn't have religion? The only plus would be that we'd be far more advanced scientifically because there wouldn't be the boundaries in place.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

• Twitch
    Twitch

A better place? Prolly not better just different IMO. As has been said, ppl will always find something to disagree/fight about. The downside of diversity and human nature.

A nice dream tho,....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit