so where are all the foreclosed upon living?...

by oompa 11 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

Around here, people who have lost their homes are either moving in with family or moving in and renting together. As Eric Cartman said on South Park, "Poor people tend to live in groups."

The people that I know with large families who've lost their homes have had to send some of their kids to live with their older siblings who had already moved out on their own. The parents are renting a small apartment, trying to save up to rent a house that will hold all of their children. It's hard to get six kids in a two-bedroom apartment. One family has sent one of their older sons to live with his aunt and uncle and an older daughter to live with her grandparents and are in an apartment with the youngest children.

Some of these people took out second and third mortgages for silly things and it's hard to feel sorry for them, although I feel sorry for the children. But some of them weren't very bright (as in just a few IQ points above mental retardation) and were preyed upon by unscrupulous lenders who put them into mortgages with five-year balloons. When the balloons came due, the housing values had dropped and they couldn't refinance.

I think the notion that people could ever get 100% financing was ridiculous. If you can't discipline yourself to save for a down payment, how in the world do you think you're going to be able to save up for home repairs and improvements or for a refi?

StAnn

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Some of these people took out second and third mortgages for silly things and it's hard to feel sorry for them, although I feel sorry for the children. But some of them weren't very bright (as in just a few IQ points above mental retardation) and were preyed upon by unscrupulous lenders who put them into mortgages with five-year balloons. When the balloons came due, the housing values had dropped and they couldn't refinance.

I think the notion that people could ever get 100% financing was ridiculous. If you can't discipline yourself to save for a down payment, how in the world do you think you're going to be able to save up for home repairs and improvements or for a refi?

StAnn

I think the system and greed at the top that encouraged and allowed those people to get into homes they didn't understand financing for, is the greater tragedy. Bush promoted an 'ownership' society and all the regulations that normally held things together got pulled off the table; common sense on the part of the lender went the way of the wind. Now a lot of banks that loaned the money got billions in aide but the guy at the bottom is the one who got rooked most of the time.

You kid might want that candy bar but it's up to you to tell him no. It's your money and you don't want to invest in something that is going to make your kid sick. Ditto that car your teenager wants or the cash your adult daughter wants to borrow for a trip to Vegas. Lenders only had to say no - I want proof of income or you can't have that house if the payments are more than 35% of your income and you wouldn't have this crap now. Let's remember that a number of States also tried to bring this issue up in the courts about 2006 but the Bush administration overturned their questions and accusations around lending practices. There might be some dumb people but it starts at the top. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit