Revelation 1:11 — Calling Leolaia and/or Narkissos

by AuldSoul 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks!

What was unclear (at least to me) from your first post is that a "large number" of Byzantine mss of Revelation, admittedly reflecting a fairly consistent textual tradition, did include the commentary by Andreas (this might sound somewhat clearer in the German N-A Einführung, "die grosse Zahl der Handschriften mit dem Apokalypse-Kommentar des Andreas von Caesarea zusammen"). So they do count as a sizeable section of Byzantine witnesses (I should have started my quote earlier: "The manuscript tradition for the Book of Revelation differs greatly from that of the other New Testament writings. [Cf. J. Schmid, Studien zur Geschichte des griechischen Apokalypse-Textes (3 vols., Munich 1955/1956).] One peculiar characteristic is the division of the Byzantine Majority Text into two distinct textual traditions" ["MA" and "MK"]). And, btw, from this perspective it is not so surprising that one of those manuscripts found its way into Erasmus' hands...

I suppose that this "peculiar" situation is due to the particular status and nature of the book, which was better received in the Greek church with an interpretive commentary (?).

• Earnest
    Earnest

Erasmus only had one Greek manuscript (codex 1 r ) when he collated the Greek text for Revelation

and this was embedded in a commentary by Andreas of Caesarea so a number of errors were introduced into the Received Text including Revelation 1:11. As the codex was missing its last page Erasmus retranslated 22:16-21 from the Latin Vulgate back into Greek and so it is no wonder that there are some questionable readings.

• Narkissos
  • Earnest
    Earnest

Sorry about the format of my previous post...I am a newbie once again. What an odd feeling. The codex 1 r was a minuscule dated to the 12th century which was owned by Johannes Reuchlin and which Erasmus got from the Dominican Library in Basel.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Earnest....Thank you!! That really helps clarify where Erasmus got his text of Revelation, and that it was from a copy of Andreas' commentary.

Narkissos....I have myself thought that the considerably poorer textual attestation of Revelation reflects its erstwhile status as an antilegomenon.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Thank you, Narkissos, Leolaia.

I got to know the meaning of "MA" and "MK" for the first time.

Well, in "Nestle-Aland 27th edition" which I have, it is written on page 20 of introduction.

possible

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

bookmarked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit