Not even say a "greeting" to them...

by integ 11 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

The new CO in the area referenced the above quote from the bible during one of his talks recently. His point was that we need to get out in the ministry and not take a bunch of breaks in service and stuff. He said that Jesus told his followers that when he sent them out. He said in those times the Jews never could just say "hi" to someone they knew, they were obligated to spend a lot of time in conversation with them. He explained that when the bible talks of "greeting" it refers to that kind of extensive conversation. Well if that's the case, how should that apply to disfellowshipping? Wouldn't that mean that it would be okay to say "hi" to df'd people, just not engage in a long conversation with them? Or is this just another twisting of the scriptures to suit their own purposes again?

Integ.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Or is this just another twisting of the scriptures to suit their own purposes again?

Of course.

I'm sorry you had to endure a CO visit. I think I'd rather have a round of really toxic chemo therapy.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

What they won't say to get you under their thumb! CO's are notorious for putting on the pressure. I'm sure the disciples never stopped to go fishing in the ministry either...they just quickly ran through the local MC Donald's and picked up a fish sandwich so they could eat on the run. Crazy man!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

They say what ever suits their purposes at the time. An accurate interpretation of the scriptures or an attempt to see what the Bible writers might have actually meant is unimportant to them.

In my opinion, the WT is less interested in what the Bible says and more interested in how it furthers their agenda. The Bible has become a tool it uses to promote itself.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Heck, an elder could probably show you scripture on why you should go paint his house for free. They use the bible to their advantage. Nothing more.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they tell people not to take so many breaks, I think they should take some more (or extend the one break that they are allowed so it lasts the whole time). Go to one door, and then take a break that lasts 2 1/2 hours or more where they can do errands, get coffee, and even do their Christmas shopping for next year at the same time. And, they should start greeting apostates--it seems the hounder-hounder is telling them now that "a greeting" is a long discussion.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Exactly integ. In fact, I am quite certain that the Greek work used in 3 John for 'greeting' confirms your point.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    in those times the Jews never could just say "hi" to someone they knew, they were obligated to spend a lot of time in conversation with them. He explained that when the bible talks of "greeting" it refers to that kind of extensive conversation

Have they ever referenced a source for the etiquette of this time period?

Every generation has its Amy Vanderbilt, Emily Post, or Judith Martin.

This really sounds to me like they put their interpretation on it to spin a story. And in spinning that story, they model an action to control the behavior of the congregants.

I think most civilized people I know are at least polite even to people they don't particularly like.

Why would they encourage JWs to be kinder to strangers than to their own family and friends?

This seems to be another "disconnection" tactic that purposelyteaches hurtful, hateful behavior.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This is an example of the informal control the borg has.

Officially, their "greeting" dogma hasn't changed. And this wouldn't be the first time that a CO has gone rouge and put in his own opinion. It seems his goal is to drum up FS by any means necesarry.

Good logic though. If that is his take on it, then it totally throws water on the whole JW shunning teaching. That is exactly why I don't think they will ever officially adopt this view of the word "greeting."

• blondie
    blondie
    (Luke 10:4) 4 Do not carry a purse, nor a food pouch, nor sandals, and do not embrace anybody in greeting along the road. . .
    *** Come Be My Follower (2007) cf chap. 9 p. 93 par. 12 "Go . . . and Make Disciples" ***Jesus also taught his disciples to avoidunnecessarydistractions. He said: "Do not embrace anybody in greeting along the road." (Luke 10:4) Was Jesus telling them to be cool or aloof? Not at all. In Bible times, greetings often involved much more than a simple hello. Customary greetings included various formalities and lengthy conversation. One Bible scholar states: "Salutations among the Orientals did not consist, as among us, of a slight bow, or extension of the hand, but [were] performed by many embraces, and inclinations, and even prostrations of the body on the ground. All this required much time." By telling his disciples not to engage in the customary greetings, Jesus was, in a sense, saying: "You must make the most of your time, for the message you bear is urgent."

Here's what the CO was probably referencing.

But also in 1998

*** w98 3/1 p. 30 Jesus Sends Forth 70 Disciples ***

Undistracted MinistersJesus further instructed his disciples: "Do not carry a purse, nor a food pouch, nor sandals, and do not embrace anybody in greeting along the road." (Luke 10:4) It was customary for a traveler to carry not only a pouch and food but also an extra pair of sandals, for soles could wear out and laces could break. But Jesus’ disciples were not to worry about such things. Rather, they were to trust that Jehovah would care for them by means of fellow Israelites, among whom hospitality was a custom.

But why did Jesus tell his disciples not to embrace anyone in a greeting? Were they to be cold, even rude? Not at all! The Greek word a·spa´zo·mai, meaning to embrace in a greeting, may mean more than a polite "hello" or "good-day." It may also include the customary kisses, embraces, and long conversation that would ensue when two acquaintances met. One commentator observes: "Salutations among the Orientals did not consist, as among us, of a slight bow, or extension of the hand, but was performed by many embraces, and inclinations, and even prostrations of the body on the ground. All this required much time." (Compare 2 Kings 4:29.) Jesus thus helped his followers to avoid unnecessary, though customary, distractions.

And 1970

*** g70 2/22 p. 19 Why No Greetings? ***

WhyNoGreetings?At 2 Kings 4:29 we read that the prophet Elisha, when sending his servant Gehazi on an urgent mission, ordered him not to greet anyone along the way or to return greetings. Even Jesus at Luke 10:4 gave a similar command to the seventy he sent out to preach. How strange, since these faithful servants of Jehovah were kind and friendly! To understand the reasons behind these commands we need to consider the customs of the Bible lands.

Oriental greetings often involve much time. When two friends meet each other there is bowing, gesturing and repeated expressions concerning each other’s welfare. These opening formalities may take several minutes. The conversation frequently continues with other complimentary speeches and a long exchange of news. This can take as long as a half hour. So God’s servants on those occasions were commanded not to pause for such lengthy greetings because they had to be about an urgent work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit