dumbing down made us witnesses

by sleepy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I had no critical thinking skills related to the WTS.

Wow. This was me. Funny thing though...my dad used to brag about how he loved the WTS critical thinking and logic. It all made sense to him. I used to think my Daddy was the smartest person in the world. He is a pretty smart cookie...but if he were smart he would have checked those sources. Which he never did...or he wouldn't still be in.

I know I had no critical thinking skills until I left the Kingdumb Hall. Sheep is what they want? That's what they've got!

Andi

PS: OUTLAW - I wonder why they didn't reference the Playboy article? But I guess it's not like you could ask the local elders about it, huh? ((()))

• sleepy
    sleepy

Outlaw

Is that true RE. Playboy artcle, or just a joke?

Did you manage to keep up to date with your playboy reading and putting what you read into practise?

• siegswife
    siegswife

I remember what happened to me. I was at the lowest point in my life, and I was praying to God. I've believed in God despite my childhood. Anyway, one night I was praying about my pitiful state and I layed down to go to sleep, suddenly, I saw a (what can only be described as) a torch of fire in my minds eye. I got scared because of the judgment that I felt I was under. I remember turning on the light, picking up my Jerusalem Bible, and feeling for the first time ever, that it was written just for me. The next day, I called the woman (who had been hounding me about Bible Study for about 2 years) to begin an earnest study. A few years later I was gone from JW's.

Can I explain or justify my experience with the JW's? I think that God, in His Wisdom, knew that I had to be handed over to Satan to learn discipline and faith. Understanding the Word isn't dependent on how much Bible knowledge you have, but how much faith. The Word isn't the Bible...it's God's Self identification.

• chester
    chester

Sleepy,

Thanks for another thought provoking post.

I have often thought the same thing.

I had the same feelings Farkel expressed

Even when my naturally logical mind questioned something they said or did, I always experienced that thought-stopping, "it must be ME that's wrong. THEY can't be wrong: Jehovah is 150% behind them."
    Chester
  • sleepy
    sleepy

I wonder if the education systems in different countries effect the likleyhood of people becoming witnesses?
    Or even maybe the social "class" you are born into.
    My parents are deffinatly "working class" acording to victorian ideas.
    I wonder if most JW's are?

• Latte
    Latte

Sleepy,

Yes, I think it does matter class/country. That's why there is a fair amount of 'growth' in the 3rd world countries.

Latte

• Latte
    Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit