To all who are hurting - revisited

by poppers 16 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

One of my first posts at JWD nearly 5 years ago. I find it interesting that it generated zero responses then. I wonder what will happen when I repost it. I dedicate it to all, especially JamesThomas, wherever you are.

As I read your posts and the stories of how you have been deceived by the JWs and its GB my heart goes out to all of you. I cannot presume to know the level of distress and pain each of you has experienced through this organization not having been a dub myself, but I have experienced my share of pain within the context of my unique journey, as all people have. And I wish to tell you that there is a way out of the pain. Many of you I am sure have found it, and many continue to live the pain on a daily basis. I have great admiration for all of you who have taken such a courageous step as you have in breaking away from WT, and for many that is enough to feel an inner freedom and a dropping away of pain. For others, however, the pain continues and bitterness grows as you reflect upon your personal experiences vis-à-vis the WT, and how opportunities for understanding, growth, and personal exploration have been systematically thwarted. If there is an understanding of one's basic nature the possibility of radically dealing with pain of all sorts becomes a reality to the point of having a completely different perspective of the world and all that is in it. Therefore, what I suggest to all of you is to ponder the question, "Who am I?" In other words, explore the most fundamental question there is, who is this seeming entity to which all events in your life have happened?

Everyone seems to be the center of a drama, a magnet for experience of an almost infinite variety, but hardly anyone bothers to question the existence of this entity that it is happening to. If you reflect deeply and honestly you will come to some startling conclusions. As I look out of my own eyes I see the world as I have always seen it and there is a subtle sense that "I" have never changed. "I" have always been "I". Yet, when I look in the mirror I see obvious change. I conclude, therefore, that I am not my body. Thoughts run through my head, continuously generated by something called "mind", and yet I still sense something non-changing that watches all of those thoughts as they arrive and quickly fade. And when I ask myself which is more real, the thoughts which constantly are changing or this quiet still awareness that watches the thoughts and never seems to change, I intuitively know that "I" am that quiet still awareness, for how can I be something that continuously changes? Therefore, I conclude I am not the mind.

Emotions come seemingly come out of nowhere and go again to who knows where, and these emotions sometimes trigger memories, which stir up storylines about the past or thoughts of the future. And when this happens we tell ourselves we are angry/sad/happy/or whatever the case may be. In other words, we identity with whatever has arisen as being "us". I am mad, for example. But ask yourself, is the real you just a collection of things you have identified with, or does the real you underlie all that arises within the mind/body mechanism. So, I know that there are emotions that flow through "me", but I am not any of those emotions. What is it that lets you know the emotion is there? Which is more real, the emotion or that which lets you know it's there?

If you have been patient with me and read this far I congratulate you. But I know these ideas are not suitable to some people and that is just fine. But for those whose interest is piqued there is a wondrous journey ahead of you if you follow through in your investigation of who you really are. Nobody can do it for you. It is not a matter of accepting them as true and going merrily on your way. A commitment to honestly explore is all that's necessary. So, the upshot of my little dissertation is this: if one seeks what one truly is and uncovers one's true self then one's previous identities drop away along with the attendant pain and distress generated by those identities. And when you have found your real self you will discover that nothing really changes in the world but one's relationship with everything does. And in that there is peace.

Peace to all.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

bttt

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The problem is that it is difficult for most people to still the mind enough to see the real self without help. I have not done it unaided.

BTS

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Thanks Poppers...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Poppers

I have found that that method helps me stay out of depression. Apparently, depression is a state that my mind tends to manufacture.

S

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks poppers.

here is also something from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao

All things arise from Tao. They are nourished by Virtue. They are formed from matter. They are shaped by environment. Thus the ten thousand things all respect Tao and honour Virtue. Respect of Tao and honour of Virtue are not demanded. But they are in the nature of things. Therefore all things arise from Tao. By Virtue they are nourished, developed, cared for, sheltered, comforted, grown and protected. Creating without claiming; doing without taking credit; guiding without interfering - this is Primal Virtue. (verse 51. tr. ibid )

• poppers
    poppers
    The problem is that it is difficult for most people to still the mind enough to see the real self without help. I have not done it unaided.

I would say a lot of people give up too easily. A little persistence will reveal your true nature. Very often people think they have to eliminate thought, but that's a big mistake. Doing that only creates more thought. The key is to accept everything just as it is, allow everything to unfold by itself without judgment of it or of yourself. There are guided meditations that can be very helpful for people who struggle with this (if anyone wants some suggestions I'll be happy to oblige). Once you catch on to this it is startingly simple.

Apparently, depression is a state that my mind tends to manufacture.

For the most part that's right. Some may have a chemical imbalance which is a contributing factor, but regardless if there is one or not the mind will take refuge in the "story of me" that it has created and live life from that perspective. It's just a perspective, however. Who is it that holds the perspective? See if that "who" can be found.

All things arise from Tao

Yes - and what you are is not separate from Tao - you could even say that you are the Tao. When this is seen life simply unfolds as it always has except there is no longer resistance. It is resistance and struggle against the unfolding that creates suffering. The personalized viewpoint that comes from what we think we are has its preferences based on conditioning, and when those preferences aren't being met resistance follows and that's what creates suffering.

All of that is an illusion of the mind only - "YOU" are not the mind, you are that which sees what is going on in the mind. When this is seen even the imaginary "me" can be accepted; the only difference is is that "me" is no longer identified with - there is a shift away from the identification with "me" to the witnessing awareness. The mind then takes its rightful place, a tool to negotiate the world of form - very useful when needed and silent when not.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There are guided meditations that can be very helpful for people who struggle with this (if anyone wants some suggestions I'll be happy to oblige).

Please. I am just starting to learn.

It is resistance and struggle against the unfolding that creates suffering.

I have always been a resister.

BTS

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

poppers

Yes - and what you are is not separate from Tao - you could even say that you are the Tao.

yes or an attribute of Tao.

Spinoza also taught one substance in opposition to Descartes duality of mind and body.

• poppers
    poppers

BTS - I suggest you check out something called "true meditation" by an American teacher named Adyashanti. This meditation is not a "doing" kind of meditation where you try to achieve something or to get something you don't already have. Instead, it is a meditation whose express purpose is to reintroduce you to your true nature, to allow those distracting things that block the seeing of what you actually are to be recognized so that they can be let go of. He does this by leading the listener to "allow everything to be just as it is". He points out the many ways we don't do this; once you see how you don't do this the opportunity arises for those things to drop away and then simply rest in "what is".

His website: http://www.adyashanti.org/

There are lots of articles and audios freely available. Incidently, I was able to "get" this prior to finding Adyashanti. I feel, however, that Adya is truly exceptional in helping others to find this for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit