Car accident

by is there help out there 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with Nelly.

Although Jehovah's Witnesses are THE MOST IMPORTANT RELIGION ON EARTH and EVERYBODY THINKS ABOUT THEM ALL THE TIME (I'm being sarcastic about the WTB&TS' self image), the lawyers are generally woefully ignorant of Dub culture and how things get done.

If you're out in the field for Jesus, who REQUIRES you to report your time? Whose publications are you spreading? Whose meetings are you inviting people to? Who provides you with territory cards? In whose hall do you meet prior to your ministry? Who provides you with "ministerial" training? Who gets the charitable contributions you collect.

The WTB&TS wants to paint themselves as the AMWAY of religion - a theological pyramid scheme with millions of independent agents. That don't work.

"Respondiat superior" absolutely applies to Dubs out in service, and someday soon a smart lawyer is going to prove it.

Buh-bye, Watchtower!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

lol nathan, I love that sarcastic bit.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Thousand Oaks, California (about 20 years ago)

There was a sister in our congregation that was riding passenger (front seat) to the territory with another sister driving.

The driver turned left in front of a car that was travelling too fast. Got broadsided and the sister riding passenger was killed.

It was horribly sad as this sister was well-liked.

I don't know if the family sued anyone. I think not but can't be sure.

-Aude.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Nate, isn't there a card made that says the one preaching is preaching in association of the congregation that they are assigned to. So, its the local congregation and not the society that is on the hook so to speak.

I remember that we had to carry those cards out in service and if ask to show it to the one we call on, we can tell them we are doing this work and inviting them to our local congregation.

Blueblades

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Blueblades, you are correct!

Innocence Established

In Brazil one of Jehovah’s witnesses was employed, along with a worldly man, to dig a well. They worked until the well got to be quite deep; then an accident occurred. The working companion of the Witness fell into the well and was killed. The police took the Witness into custody to be questioned and possibly charged with murder, since oftentimes murders are committed under these circumstances. It looked very bad for the Witness, since there were no persons to prove him innocent. Finally the police asked him to show his identification documents. He did not have them with him. The only thing he had with him was his minister’s identification card signed by the congregation servant and which identified him as being one of Jehovah’s witnesses. He showed it to them. When they discovered that he was in fact one of Jehovah’s witnesses, the attitude of the police changed entirely. They said, “We know that Jehovah’s witnesses do not kill. You are an innocent man.” The Witness was immediately released.

- The WATCHTOWER, January 15, 1963, page 46, "INNOCENCE ESTABLISHED"

• Poztate
    Poztate
    According the the WTS, any JW going door-to-door is acting on his own with no direction from the WTS. The JW is effectively a lone minister who just happens to prefer to carry WT publications.

The party line is that they are all a bunch of happy little volunteers who just go out just because they love jehobah and their neighbours.

My Wife told me this one day quite proudly.. I asked her what would happen if she told the elders that she didn't want to volunteer for a month or two or 6 (inactive)

She had no comment but we all know the pressure that would be put on her to "volunteer" again. I am sure she would have a shepherding visit (or two) before long.

The number of JW's is based on PUBLISHERS not attenders so she would be taken off the almost "7 million" list of JW"s

No one can say that banging on doors is not a CORE part of required religious activities.

• nelly136
    nelly136

they had to cough out for the Coughlin v. Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York

the drivers name was Jordan Johnson and the lady who died was Francis Coughlin. Dont know if anyone has any more details? my links to it are defunct now.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think that might be the case in which a Bethelite was involved in a fatal car accident while on his way to give a talk or perform some other WTB&TS function. It's a slightly different circumstance, and since the case was settled by the WTB&TS without a trial, the details or the case are almost impossible to obtain.

• crapola
    crapola

This is a funny accident if you can call it that, that happened about30 years ago. I was with my best friend and my son and her two little boys, we were in a very affluent neighborhood and this friend went to a door. Left me and another older sister in the back seat. Her 2 year old was in the front seat and started playing with the steering wheel. Well first thing you know he had pulled that car out of gear and we started rolling backwards down a hill. All I could do was reach over the front seat and guide the car into a tree. It was scary but when it was over the older sister was so terrified that she would'nt even ride back to the KH with us.As I look back on things that happened back then, I honestly don't know how we survived.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Yeah I remember that accident crapola. It probably scared me then, but it's funny as hell now. By the way, quick thinking on steering us into that tree.

sooner7nc...hopefully sooner8nc pretty soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit