Terminology: Congregation vs. Unit

by Gram 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gram
    Gram

Does anyone remember when the "so and so" Congregation was called the "so and so" Unit? Do you know the reasoning behind changing the terminology?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have never heard this expression before

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I am not familiar with the congregation being called a unit...I believe they were called companies back in the 20's and 30's.

• Gram
    Gram

I may be dating myself, but I remember my grandmother saying she was in the Miles Park Unit (Cleveland) back in the 1940's.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It might be helpful to remember this traditional marching cadence:

"This is my congregation, this is my unit, This is for boredom, this is for fun."

• Farkel
    Farkel

The term "unit" was coined by Joseph Franklin Rutherford, but he was referring to his best friend and his favorite and very private toy.

Actually, the only term I know existed before Congregation was Company. Rutherford molded his Cultic Organization after a Military model, not unlike the Salvation Army did.

Farkel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Like the Salvation Army, but without the frivolity.

• Farkel
    Farkel

nathan,

:Like the Salvation Army, but without the frivolity.

To be fair, let's make a comparison:

The Salvation Army gets 90% of its revenues during the Christmas season.
    The Watchtower Corporation gets 100% of its revenues each month from January through December of each year.

The Salvation Army, after expenses, gives the remaining 93% of its money to others through charity.
    The Watchtower Corporation, after expenses, keeps the remaining 100% of its money and invests it for itself in stocks and bonds and its Corporate expansion and gives zero percent of its money to charity.

The Salvation Army irritates people daily for about 2 weeks each year with their bell-ringing.
    The Watchtower Corporation irritates people daily for 52 weeks each year with their bell-ringing.

The Salvation Army has their people dress like Santa Claus.
    The Watchtower Corporation thinks Santa Claus is demonized.

The Salvation Army does wonderful things for millions of people.
    The Watchtower Corporation does evil and heinous things to millions of people.

The Salvation Army doesn't hate the Watchtower Corporation.
    The Watchtower Corporation hates the Salvation Army. And everyone else, for that matter.

Farkel

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Like the Salvation Army, but without the frivolity.

Ok that was LOL funny.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Too damned funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit