WT views on drinking coffee?

by cawshun 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cawshun
    cawshun

Why do some JW's think drinking coffee is evil and others think its ok?

• blondie
    blondie

There is no WT doctrinal reason forbidding drinking coffee (it is a Mormon one though).

Bethel would come to a screeching halt if coffee were forbidden, they drink it non-stop.

Sounds like some jw's personal rule on it.

*** w90 2/15 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

Should a Christian avoid coffee and tea because they contain the addictive drug caffeine?

The Bible does not mention coffee or tea. But what it does say can help a Christian to decide whether he will drink coffee or tea.

The drug caffeine can affect mind and body. Millions of cups of coffee and tea are consumed daily, leading Dr. Melvin Konner to say: "[Caffeine] may, in fact, be the most widely used psychoactive drug in the world." It can increase alertness, raise one’s adrenaline level, and speed up circulation and metabolism. That it is a drug does not of itself establish whether a Christian should shun caffeine-containing beverages (coffee, tea, cola drinks, maté) or foods (such as chocolate).

Alcohol is also a drug that can affect mind and body, yet what do the Scriptures say about it? The Bible acknowledges that wine (or other alcoholic drinks) can make "the heart of mortal man rejoice" or alter the mood of a distressed soul. (Psalm 104:15; Proverbs 31:6, 7) God’s Word does not, though, indicate that true worshipers must avoid all beverages containing alcohol. What the Bible condemns is immoderate use of alcohol—drunkenness.—Deuteronomy 21:18-21; Proverbs 20:1; Hosea 4:11; 1 Corinthians 5:11-13; 1 Peter 4:3.

What, however, of the claim that a person may become addicted to caffeine? Many who habitually drink coffee, tea, or maté develop some degree of dependence, though it is debated whether this is a true clinical addiction. At least they feel withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches or nausea, if deprived of their normal dose of caffeine. Here again, call to mind the Biblical view of alcoholic drinks. Though many persons have been addicted to alcohol, it is not forbidden to Christians if taken in moderation. Jesus drank wine; he even miraculously made wine at a wedding feast.—Matthew 26:29; John 2:3-11.

Still, a Christian might feel that he would prefer not to risk becoming dependent on caffeine. If being deprived of his regular intake of caffeine makes him irritable ("coffee nerves"), he might consider abstaining from caffeine as a demonstration of "self-control." (Galatians 5:22, 23) Since the Bible does not mention abstinence from beverages containing caffeine, the decision about coffee or tea must be made individually. Moderation is appropriate if a Christian consumes either.—Compare Titus 2:2.

Moderation is also central to the question of possible health risks. There are many claimed hazards of regularly taking in large doses of caffeine (whether from coffee, tea, cola drinks, or other drinks or foods). Yet, for each study linking a particular health risk to caffeine, another seems to point to the contrary.

The logic of moderation is underscored by what the Bible says about honey. It is a natural substance, and the act of eating it as a stimulating energy food is natural (in contrast to breathing smoke into the lungs). (1 Samuel 14:26, 27; Matthew 3:4) However, you can get sick from eating too much of it. The Bible warns: "Is it honey that you have found? Eat what is sufficient for you, that you may not take too much of it and have to vomit it up."—Proverbs 25:16, 27.

Some people cannot consume any honey at all. Similarly, for health reasons some may need to avoid alcohol, caffeine, dairy products, or other foods and beverages. Others may avoid such things by personal choice or because of widespread local sensitivity, not wanting to offend anyone. This reminds us of the apostle Paul’s comment: "If food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble."—1 Corinthians 8:13.

Consequently, let each individual act in accord with his own resolve without feeling that his decision needs to be imposed on others. Paul wrote: "Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed that one. Who are you to judge the house servant of another?"—Romans 14:3, 4.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Thank you Blondie, that answer's my question. Your amazing!

• undercover
    undercover

What's interesting is that the Society had to put out an article like this to begin with.

For this to even be of interest enough to compose an article, somebody, or a group of somebodies, somewhere has made an issue out of the fact that caffeine is a drug and therefore "true Christians", i.e. JWs, shouldn't use it.

I remember in the late 70s that a rumor went around that at an upcoming assembly it would be announced that all caffeine products would be no longer acceptable. This was just a few short years after tobacco use became a DFing offense. I'm sure that some people made a connection between the drug nicotine found in cigarettes and the drug caffeine found in coffee, soda, etc. and assumed that one ban would have to follow the other. Of course they assumed wrong but the rumor and the thinking behind it persisted. Finally, some years later, the Society puts to rest the entire caffeine thing by printing this article.

What it shows though is how easily led these people are. If the Society had taken the other route and said, "caffeine is a drug and Christians would not use such a drug", the majority of the JWs would have fallen in line and obeyed. Hell, some were obeying just the idea behind it without anyone ever addressing the issue.

Another interesting thing about this kind of article is that they begin the article much like any other article on a matter not related to a Biblical teaching, "The Bible does not mention (insert practice here)..." but then goes on to quote and list a dozen scriptures defending whatever stance the Society has decided to take. In the case of tobacco, they ban it based on scripture quoting, here they don't ban an item based on scripture qouting when in both cases, there are no scriptures that are tied to either practices...and yet no one questions the authority of the Society to interpret these quoted scriptures to defend their stated position.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I have never heard a Witness say that drinking coffee was sinful. But I do remember a crazy "apostate" who would rant and rave in front of Bethel in the early 1980s. One of his rants involved the evils of drinking coffee, so the Bethelites called him "Mr. Coffee." Rumor has it that one day a Bethelite accidentally ran over him with a truck. They called that Bethelite the "coffee creamer."

• sir82
    sir82

% of GB members who smoke: 0

Thus, smoking is a DF offense.

% of GB members, or at lest Bethel heavies, who drink coffee: Probably 90% +

Drinking coffee is therefore not a DF offense

• undercover
    undercover

% of GB members who smoke: 0

Thus, smoking is a DF offense.

% of GB members, or at lest Bethel heavies, who drink coffee: Probably 90% +

Drinking coffee is therefore not a DF offense

Take that one step further:

% of GB, or at least Bethel heavies, who drink alcohol (not forgetting ole Booze Rutherford himself either): Probably 90%+

Drinking alcohol is therefore not a DFing offense.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I remember making fun of Mormons as a Witness for not drinking coffee or tea. As I remember most witness drank coffee. It wasn't an issue.

• cameo-d
  • cawshun
    cawshun

Undercover, I agree with you, that the article was written to make the jw's feel guilty about one more thing. My goodness, how much coffee can one drink in moderation? Why even write the dang article, unless they wanted to plant some guilt.

Your right there is no scripture that say's one can not smoke, but they will find something somewhere in the bible and make it fit. The one used on me for smoking had something to do with not defiling the body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit