Watchtower 1954 "Jesus was clean shaven and had short hair?? What!

by Witness 007 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

All society publications from 1950 -1968 pictures showed Jesus as a Jew who had short hair and was clean shaven???

Watch 1954 p.511 "Why do Watchtower books now show Jesus with short hair and no beard?....because he is shown that way in representations of him that are older than the traditional effeminate looking pictures."

Watch 1968 p.286 "Bible evidence and a recent review shows that Jesus DID have a beard." {Opps sorry the light got dimmer}

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Because long hair and beards were popular in the late 60's so they wanted him to look hip , cool and modern

And thats why today they picture him with a shaved head with an ear pierced and a lot of Tattoos

• lawrence
    lawrence

Let's face it folks, these cats (morons) were not and are not scholars - they were book and magazine publishers.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This was mentioned in a talk by circuit overseer Floyd Kite in 6/22/1980, obviously addressing the crisis happening at the time:

Do you remember in the 1960s when the Question From Readers asked, “Did Jesus have a beard?” (audience laughter) Remember that one? Boy, did we ever get flak in congregations on that one! One little question from the reader, “Did Jesus have a beard,” and it said, “Yes”. Then all of our publications that showed Jesus without a beard; he was a clean-shaven man. Then it went on to say that the fragmentary evidence that we had at our disposal that would seem to indicate that Jesus was clean-shaven was “faulty evidence”. Its belief in origin was not even a depiction of Jesus Christ at all. That Jesus was a Jew and Hebrew men had beards neatly trimmed, and therefore hereonafter our publications will show Jesus with a beard. Did you know that back in Brother Russell’s day Jesus had a beard? (audience laughter) And then in Brother Rutherford’s day Jesus’ beard came off, and then in the 1960s we put his beard back on? (audience laughter) Huh, how does that make you feel? What sort of organization is this?! Well, I used to tell the brothers, “Look, whether Jesus had a beard or didn’t have a beard, is he the Son of God?” “Yes.” “Did he provide a ransom, does his shed blood redeem us from sin and death?” “Yes.” “Is he the king of the new order?” “Yes.” “Then whether he has a beard or not, does that alter the truth of the Bible?” Not a bit.

Bottom line is we go berserk, we run amuck. And are we going to stay in the truth, that’s the question! Will we make the adjustments?

• lawrence
    lawrence

Leolaia-

That was great, especially the last line! Yes, they ran amuck and are berserk!

As far as adjustments - closing Crooklyn would be the best adjustment for all.

• VM44
    VM44

Floyd Kite does a nice job of NOT answering the question as to why Jesus was shown without a beard in the publications throughout those years.

Bottom line was....Judge Rutherford didn't like beards. Russell had a beard and Rutherford didn't want anything around that would remind people of Russell, so, no beards!

The Watchtower went so far as to once say that "Perfect men would not have beards!" (Perhaps somebody could find an exact reference to that statement)

What this shows is that The Watchtower simply makes things ups. So we should be very careful about anything it says on any subject, particularly the Bible.

That is why Floyd Kite should have answered the question instead of sidestepping it.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Someone with access to publications a scanner and time should make a montage of jesus pics over the years. That would be AWESOME!

• Spectre
    Spectre

A while after I grew my hair long, I was at a family reunion. Someone didn't recognize me and said, "Who invited Jesus?"

Everyone knows Jesus was a hippy.

Uhmmm....I however, am NOT a hippy.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Jesus Christ! Damn Hippi!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

This is how he was pictured in the Awake magazine in the late 60's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit