New DPA and Medical Directive for Witnesses that have moved on...

by Ultimate Reality 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

In order express my current wishes I am preparing a new DPA and Medical Directive to replace what I have signed from the Organization in the past. However, if family have an issue with my stand should I be incapacitated, I am including a Preamble with the DPA so that the reasons for my wishes are clear. I welcome comments, adjustments, or ideas. My goal is to firmly inform -- not to attack or force my conscience on others.

HEALTHCARE DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY AND ADVANCE MEDICAL DIRECTIVE

This document supersedes any and all previous related documents and medical directives I have executed.

PREAMBLE

Being raised as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and baptized at the minor age of ___ years in the State of ________ , USA, part of the baptism vows require recognition that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (and its related legal entities) is God’s spirit-directed organization. As such, the Watchtower Society claims to be God’s sole channel of communication and the visible part of God’s organization on earth with its Governing Body as the head of the visible organization.

The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses forms various policies under their claimed authority as God’s channel. It is claimed that exclusive authority to create Theocratic Law was conferred upon them at their appointment over all Christ’s belongings, by Jesus Christ himself, in the year 1918. Compliance with all directives and teachings of the organization is compulsory under penalty of disfellowshipping (ex-communication).

One of the organizational directives has included a ban on blood transfusions based largely on Acts 15:29. The Bible does give special recognition to blood and its relation to life. However, upon further investigation it is clear that the organization has shifted it policies in a confusing and conflicting array over many decades.

The origin of the Watchtower doctrine appears to come the concept that blood is sacred and the contamination of sacred human blood was the cause of God’s judgment by means of the Flood of Noah’s day. According to the The Golden Age magazine of February 4, 1931 (published by The Watchtower Society) page 295--

At the time the above article was written, a case was not being made against blood transfusion or the use of blood products. Instead, the article was written to further a ban on vaccination. Later, vaccination became a “conscience matter” and blood transfusions were banned. Over the years, the blood policy has both evolved and devolved with acceptability of various blood fractions becoming “conscience matters”.

It is unreasonable to conclude that the symbol of life (blood) would have more value than the reality (the living person). This is especially so when no life has been given for the blood. Furthermore, Jesus repeatedly “broke” the Mosaic Law in order to do fine works. David and his men broke the Law and ate the showbread. If life is at stake, law is suspended. Today, we are no longer under law, but under the Law of the Christ.

Finally, the meeting and resulting letter recorded at Acts chapter 15 arose out of the need to settle disputes between Jewish and Gentile Christians. This meeting was initiated by the Antioch congregation and not by a ruling council in Jerusalem. The comments about blood applied to Gentile Christians so as not to offend the sensitive consciences of Jewish Christians who, for generations, had strictly observed dietary restrictions under the Mosaic Law. Even though they no longer had to observe such laws, many evidently chose to and their consciences were to be respected.

In the minutes from that meeting James said at Acts 15: 19-21 (NAS)-

“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. “For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.” In light of the above statement, the Watchtower Society’s interpretation on blood does not apply in any modern context as a law for Christians. This view is supported by most biblical scholars, including the Watchtower founder, Charles T. Russell:

After considering the scriptural evidence and the history and reasoning of the Watchtower Society’s arguments about blood, I choose to exercise my human right and fulfill my Christian obligation by using my own conscience in this matter.

Accordingly, my executed Durable Power of Attorney and Advance Medical Directive follows:

[A STANDARD LEGAL FORM WITH MY WISHES FOLLOWS THE PREAMBLE]

• rebel8
    rebel8

Who is the preamble for, your jw relatives/spouse?

My inclination is to suggest you use only a standard legal template to execute your Durable Power of Attorney. If you wish to include the info from your preamble, you can attach it to copies you give to your relatives/spouse.

I just wonder if adding all this info may somehow compromise the legal validity of the document itself.

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

This would be attached to standard legal forms drawn according to the laws of my state of residence. Since there could be numerous family members that would take issue, the preamble would explain my reasoning. They may still have an issue, but this would explain the situation and silence some individuals. Since the Society's DPA also has a preamble of sorts, explaining the "scriptural reasons" for the no-blood stand, I feel the need to refute this especially since I have signed my name to this concept in the past. The actual agents are aware and in agreement with my stand.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Another concern of mine is that it could confuse healthcare professionals who would be referring to it to act on your wishes.

In the heat of a serious medical situation, I wonder if all that info in the beginning might cause them to think it's just a letter about your religious beliefs, stop reading, and disregard the legal part. I'm pretty sure that's what would have happened in the hospitals I've worked at.

JMHO-I think it might be putting you in jeopardy legally and medically.

Good luck in educating your family.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I should have added....

I see what you're saying about the Society using preambles. They do it for one reason only--to preach. You've no need to preach.

You mentioned you want to clarify your current position because you've signed documents with doctrinal preambles before. By this do you mean you want to clarify it to your healthcare team? That makes sense, but in my opinion, this is not the best way to go about it.

You have the legal right to add a letter, or brief statement, to your medical record. You could easily do this if you want them to have a written statement about your philosophical shift.

I've done analyses of the Society's documents used over the years and found them to be a weak parody of real legal documents.

• blondie
    blondie

I would just make sure that whoever is my medical power of attorney knows what they are up against, has a strong legal standing, and you help them know what specific information they need to know to confront any "well-meaning" relatives. The only time it might be difficult is if a spouse is still a jw....some states put the spouse in first place legally for making such decisions.

Blondie

• lrkr
    lrkr

I feel that carrying a blood donor card should clear up any misconceptions about my current beliefs.

• 5go
    5go

Unless you have won the lottery, I wouldn't worry. They for the most could care less if you take blood if you have truly moved on.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

You have put a lot of work into your preamble. If I may give an opinion, I would recommend that your preamble be presented to your family members only. It would only be confusing to the medical professionals. I recently needed to fill out a Health Care Proxy and I specified that only my doctor could make any decisions involving blood transfusions. For your own peace of mind, perhaps you could make a small card for your wallet stating that you accept blood transfusion and what your blood type is. I hope that you will never be in a situation that requires its use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit