Why Can't I Be a Jehovah's Witness?

by AllTimeJeff 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This is from my blog that I write when I feel like it. Its called Superstitions Antidote.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Why Can't I Be a Jehovah's Witness?

In reflecting on my time as a JW , one thing that elders and Circuit Overseers would frequently say is: "We aren't like other religions. You can walk into Catholic or Baptist Church and become a member pretty quickly. But for us ( JW's ) you have to study first and get the accurate knowledge of John 17:3"

This is another attempt to put on a great front to a dubious method of Jehovah's Witness recruitment. Indoctrination.

Since I resigned my membership as a JW , I find it funny how so not true it is that you can walk into any church and become a member. JW's would like for you to believe that most churches are the Dollar General store equivalent of religion, cheap and easy. That simply isn't true. I will allow that there are many religions that simply ask if one has accepted Christ and are born again, but there are just as many churches, if not more, that would like for you to know a little something about them before you join.

JW's have a more cynical goal though. Because they have such amazing beliefs regarding the prophetic value of the bible, (i.e. most prophetic characters from Noah to Abraham to David to Solomon and Hezekiah all point to the modern day structure and hierarchy of Jehovah's Witnesses), it is necessary to prep the prospective JW with the soft stuff first.

JW's have books designated for study with new prospects. Here is a list

1969: The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life
    1982: You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth
    1995: Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life
    2005: What Does the Bible Really Teach?

These books contain nothing of the very controversial prophetic view of JW's . It skims over and gives the greatest, one sided impression of such controversial teachings as blood based medicine and disfellowshipping /excommunication. It starts almost immediately with the thought that friends and family will be against you for studying the bible. (even though you aren't studying the bible, you are studying JW theology with cherry picked scriptures to back up the theology.)

During this "study" (i.e. Indoctrination!) the prospect is encouraged to attend all the meetings of JW's , where they are trained to basically "love bomb" new ones. New ones are impressed with how much attention they get, and just as equally miffed when, after baptism, interest in them and their problems fade. But it feels good in the mean time.

Of course, the goal for this indoctrination is for you to be able to parrot the basics of JW theology, agree that you want to be a JW , and get baptized. This takes several months or more. It changes after that, because now that you are baptized, you have them as the authority. You can no longer research their bible exegesis, you can no longer even have the private thought that you disagree with JW's on any subject, under pain of disfellowshipping and shunning.

For many, the more you learn, the less you like, but if you get baptized, its a little late to call them out on it and avoid the heartache that frequently occurs for associating with and promoting this group.

So if you want to be a Jehovah's Witness, be sure to study thoroughly, and on your own terms. If they have the truth as they claim, then the truth will stand on its own merits, and not on the merits of propaganda designed to bait and switch you into a lifelong, mafia like commitment.

• minimus
    minimus

Please change "What" to "Why".

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

DUH!!!!!! Damn, I need more Java!

Done...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Good points Jeff. Since I was "born in" I never really had a chance to investigate other churches. After I left I had the typical JW aversion to even setting foot in a church, much less looking at affiliating with Babylon the Great! My wife wanted to find a church so we went to a large evangelical church in our area...and lo and behold, they weren't wild-eyed fanatics rolling in the aisles and frothing at the mouth! After attending for some time, she wished to look into membership and was told she needed to fulfill some requirements which included some classes on church history, core beliefs, etc. with additional classes after joining to cover "advanced" subjects including ministry, discipleship, etc. What was missing as compared to JW's was the requirement to study only "authorized" study aids and bible translations. The opposite was actually the case...testing your faith through independent study was encouraged, as was study with outside study aids such as Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. It may not be as indoctrinating as study with JW's, but it certainly has more substance than your elder friend would have believed. I am this experience is not a unique one...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Unlike the jws, many churches do a background check on members who work closely with the children in the congregation. Good idea, huh?

• unbaptized
    unbaptized

Thanks for the information Jeff. I will definitely take that into consideration.

• OBVES
    OBVES

Salvation is a very complex matter today as we have so many christian religions , each claiming it has the Truth .They cannot be all right .If you think otherwise you would have to prove it by becoming a member of each one; one after another .

With the views I am holding now I would not join any church as I see the things differently .But note if I were to choose which religious organization God Yahweh approves of it would be Jehovah's Witnesses , no doubt about it .Try to find another organization to challenge my statement.

See my posts how the International Bible Students and their successors Jehovah's Witnesses fit the end-time pattern of the restoration of the true christianity.

7 BC is linked to the date 1879 AD which is associated with the Watchtower. See " Babylon the Great Has Fallen - the chronology at the end of the book !

And then is the 2 BC which is linked to 1884 AD and see what had happened in 1884 AD to the organization of the International Bible Students .

29 AD is linked to 1914 AD .

If so 29 AD-33 AD-36 AD = 1914 AD-1918 AD-1921 AD. By superimposing the ancient dates when Jesus and his first disciples were living and taught the true christianity we can trace the time of the revival of that christianity by locating dates appropriately keeping the time spans.

7 BC-29 AD = 35 years =1914 AD ; 2 BC-29 AD = 30 years = 1884 AD-1914 AD .

Jehovah's Witnesses have their own 7-year period as well. If they are the true christianity it has to be so :

1935 AD-1939 AD-1942 AD.

God Yahweh made a wondeful arrangement to prove this is true !

As an independent servant of Yahweh and Jesus Christ (Luke 9.49-50 ) I give testimony to their validity as the true christian organizations.

Check my posts on alt.religion.jehovahs-witn ( a google group ) by locating one post click on " more options" and then on " find messages by this author " and see how I came up with the period 1984 AD-1988 AD-1991 AD which is also related to 29 AD-33 AD-36 AD .

• poppers
    poppers

Oh good, OBVES is back. It was getting a little dull around here. Let me pop some corn and watch the show.

• StAnn
    StAnn

AllTime, I'm Catholic. To convert to Catholicism, you have to go through a series of classes called RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) which meets weekly for a minimum of 10 months. Then after being baptized and confirmed at Easter, you continue classes through the summer. The program can take as long as two years. If you want to get married in the Catholic Church, you have to go through classes with the priest for up to six months, called Pre-Cana, where he assesses your readiness for marriage as well as teaching you about christian marriage.

None of these things are new. Why is it that the WTS doesn't seem to know about them? Are they lying or merely stupid? I think you should bring up this lie they teach, as it shows their lack of integrity (and lack of proper research) in their comments on other religions.

StAnn

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

With the views I am holding now I would not join any church as I see the things differently .But note if I were to choose which religious organization God Yahweh approves of it would be Jehovah's Witnesses , no doubt about it .Try to find another organization to challenge my statement.

Well, I wouldn't challenge you on anything, as you are entitled to your beliefs. Thanks for sharing them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit