First sober Christmas

by digderidoo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hi all.

I just want to post here about my first sober Christmas. I posted here first of all about my alcoholism back in January. I tried to control drinking for around 3 years prior to this, but last December was a p**s up. Christmas week itself blended one day into the other. Then on January 3rd i had my final drink and went to Alcoholic's Anonomous for my first meeting. I would like to say that was my last drink, but it wasn't. Since then i tried on two different occasions to limit my drinking for night's out but it didn't work.

So finally on May 30th i resigned myself to the fact that i couldn't control my drinking and had my last drink. Since then i have lost my desire to have a drink and enjoy sobriety.

This Christmas is a funny one being sober. In all honesty it's just different, it isn't any better, it isn't any worse. I did think this time last year there is no way i can go through Christmas without a drink, it's easier than i thought. I went out on Saturday night to a nightclub with friends, bumped into lots of people i hadn't seen for a while, the Saturday before Christmas brings everyone in my home town out. It was funny seeing others drunk, yet i hadn't touched a drink and didn't want to. Some people were surprised and wondered how and why i would want to go through Christmas without a drink, i do not explain the situation to people, just that i prefer not to drink as i have drank heavily in the past.

So as for tomorrow i have brought some wine to give to my cousin at who's house i am going to. It was weird buying it, but it's all for gifts. One or two there will drink, but i ain't missing out. One things for sure i will miss out on the quality of life i now have, if i do take a drink, as for me one leads to another.

So from this sober guy, Merry Christmas!! I will be able to remember this one.

Paul

• Mandette
    Mandette

Congrats to you Paul!!!! What an awesome victory!!!

Merry Christmas from the mitten shaped state across the pond!!!!

Mandette

• mouthy
    mouthy

So from this sober guy, Merry Christmas!! I will be able to remember this one.

Paul

Paul let me tell you ,Your post was so WONDERFUL!!!!!! I grew up with a Dad that liked a drink, sometimes overdone it, Had a son that got drunk alot ,have a grand son just done a stint in Jail for drinking & driving. I AM SO PLEASED to read you have made up your mind to stop I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!Thanks I consider it a gift for me (((HUG)))

• purplesofa
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Good for you!

Love.

Sylvia

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Well done mate good to here some positive stories here.

• ferret
    ferret

Congratulations Paul... Stick with it ...it gets easier as time goes on.

It has been 22 years for me an I do not miss it at all.

• oompa
    oompa

congats!...you may even give me some hope...........thanks........merry christmas (but not too merry!)..............oompa

• Gregor
    Gregor

Good on ya, mate! There's hope for all of us!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I knew you could do it, and if I remember correctly, I TOLD YOU SO! Congrats and Merry Christmas. Robin Williams said on the "Tonight Show" the other night, "Christmas is to alcoholics as Easter is to diabetics." Sad, but funny at the same time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit