Is Third Heaven a Near Death Experience?

by cameo-d 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

2 Corinthians 12:2

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.

What does this mean? Is it astral projection? Is it a near death experience?

Where is the third heaven?

For that matter, where is the first and second heaven?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Good scripture considering there's only one heaven.....3rd heaven is for all the losers who don't comment enough at meetings...where as seventh heaven is for bethelites and pioneers only!

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

cameo-d

Where are the first and second heaven? Answer that question and you will know where and what the third heaven is even if it was simply visualized by Paul much like the Revelation was by John.

The answer would be something simple that the readers would easily understand. Something well within their real life experiences. And for most of them the first heaven was the Law since the word heaven describes this authority over which they functioned for some 2 thousand years. Then those that became Christians found themselves in the second heaven with the commandments of Christ and discipleship obligations. And as such they are promised a Kingdom at a future time then this of course would become the third heaven under which authority Christians would function with Christ as King. Such modern marvels as we now have well demonstrate the possibilities that will exist in this third heaven but under much better circumstances than we now have. Is it any wonder that Paul marveled over the unspeakable words that would be revealed at that time?

Joseph

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi,

Well, another interpretation would be:

The first heaven is just 'the heavens', ie where the birds fly

The second heaven is above first heaven, the abode of the planets and stars

The third heaven is the abode of God himself - what we call heaven

These three being represented by the three divisions of the temple arrangement.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think Barefoot Servant and I could ride the river together.

Sylvia

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The bible uses different analogies to describe spiritual advancement. Sun, moon, stars / eve, adam, christ / father, son, spirit / outer courtyard, inner sanctuary, most holy. It's the same with the heaven levels (imo) different stages of your spiritual growth.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sounds like Paul was very Pagan to me!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Sounds like Paul was very Pagan to me!

Not if you read the Jewish apocrypha Paul had access to such as the book of Enoch (which is quoted in the book of Jude and possibly alluded to elsewhere). The part I remember best is a whole detailed description of the underworld where the souls of the righteous are waiting redemption, and the wicked, judgement. BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Here is a collection of Near Death Experiences from a Christian perspective. These are accounts of those that claim they had an NDE. One of them was a Jehovah's Witness. What she learned when she left her body made her turn her back on the JWs for good.

http://bibleprobe.com/nde.htm

BTS

• Satanus
    Satanus

He prolly ate too many motza balls before bed.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit