Anyone here from Denmark? (or speak Danish?)

by inkling 12 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I really liked the Cheese Danish I ate at the old assemblies when I was younger, does that count?

• brinjen
    brinjen

I have heard from someone who used to live in Denmark that beards weren't frowned upon over there. They are not seen as a form of rebellion, as long as they are neatly trimmed. Not sure about the jeans though...

• Newborn
    Newborn

The main Elder character is shown giving talks (even at the district convention)
    with rather long hair and a clipped beard, and is shown speaking from the
    Kingdom Hall platform while not wearing a suit jacket. Is this common in Denmark?
    Some elders yes, especially younger brothers. It's very common in Scandinavia that brothers have clipped beard.
    Cultural style I guess.

Along the same line, Sara is shown going door to door wearing jeans. Even
    jean SKIRTS are frowned upon here, with pants of any sort completely out
    of the question, even dress pants, so seeing her out in service in jeans
    seemed really weird. I find this very strange too

The songs they sang in the hall seemed really familiar, but not exact... were
    they changed to avoid copyright issues? Are the words the same as any Kingdom
    Songs in Danish? Same thing with the pictures in the book they were studying...
    really close in feel, but not identical. I don't think there are copy right issues. Kingdom songs are the same. Maybe pics can vary but I didn't think so??

During Dinner with her boyfriend's atheist parents, they call her religion a
    "sect" and she seems to take some offence at the term, almost as if they were
    saying that she was in a "cult". To me, "sect" is basically just a "branch"
    and is not very descriptive or judgmental, like it seemed in the context of
    the conversation. What is the word translated here, and is "sect" really
    the best English word to describe it's connotations? Sect is a very negative term in Scandinavia as cult for you.

Whenever the subject of disfellowshipping is in dialog, the subtitles use
    "expelled" for "disfellowshiped" and "expulsion" for "disfellowshipping"
    What is the Danish word used here, and is it the same word used by local
    WT literature? Yes they use expelled in discussions and WT literature but I guess it's just a matter of translation, they could as well use disfellowhiped.

In the funeral/memorial scene everyone is wearing black, and there is a
    coffin displayed in the KH. This is unheard of here, as having everyone
    wearing all black and having a coffin present is considered to be too
    much like the "hopeless" funerals of "the world". Never attended a funeral in Denmark and I would also not think it's "appropriate" in the KH??

When Sara is talking to her dad about dropping out of "school", it's unclear
    wether she means the Danish equivalent of high school (basic education) or
    university ("higher" education). How does the education system work in Denmark,
    and what is the Witness feeling towards the various levels? Here, dropping out
    of college/university would often elicit the same happy "yah?" as in the movie,
    but dropping out of high school would be considered irresponsible. Most kids
    graduate High School at age 18. Sara is 17 in the film. she's probably in "gymnasium" i.e. optional after basic education. So she can drop out. That's considered very good if you pursue kingdom interests instead.

The scene of the district convention spread out over the grassy hill was a
    great scene cinematically, especially when they all stand up to sing, but it
    stuck me as odd that there were just sitting on the grassy ground. I've never
    seen that, and was wondering if that is a common setup for conventions there.
    Often lunch are eaten outside on the grass if possible in the summer. Some also go out for breaks with kids etc during the sessions.
    However, to be strict they should go inside for the song when the program starts but some doesn't.

When they get home from service, he says they "handed out" 21 magazines that
    morning. The English term is usually "placed". What is the Danish word? I think the direct translation is "handed out" but meaning the same...

In the scene in the rain, Sara says "Wake up Teis, I'm a Jehovah, and you're not!"
    Here, only "worldly" people refer to Witnesses as "Jehovahs". Would Sara have said that?
    To be correct she should have said "I'm a Jehovah witness".

Everyone kept their eyes open during the prayer. It that accurate?
    It's a personal choice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit