A rubbish life for LA marathon recycler

by Sunnygal41 5 Replies latest social current

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

A rubbish life for LA marathon recycler

by Tangi Quemener Tangi Quemener – Tue Dec 23, 1:37 am ET AFP – Dave Chameides poses with his trash for 2008, in the basement of his home in Los Angeles, California(AFP/Robyn …

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Dave Chameides has spent almost an entire year living a life full of utter garbage, and hoping he can inspire other Americans to do the same.

The Los Angeles -based cameraman has lived in his comfortable Hollywood home without throwing away a single piece of trash, from wine bottles to chewing gum and pizza boxes.

Instead the 39-year-old Chameides -- nicknamed "Sustainable Dave" -- recycles his garbage or else stores it in his basement. He says he wants to show that it is possible to dramatically reduce his family's consumption habits.

And he can show astounding results. Rather than the 1,600 pounds of trash the average American family produces each year, Chameides, his wife and two daughters have amassed only 32 pounds over the last 12 months.

"If I were the average American, this entire basement would be filled with plastic water bottles ," said Chameides, who chronicles his campaign with an Internet blog (http://365daysoftrash.blogspot.com).

Chameides has shunned bottled water in favor of filtered tap water -- except when on holiday in Mexico, but even those water bottles were brought back to his home, compacted and stored with other trash.

His war on packaging also extends to the family groceries. Rice and pulses are bought by the kilo and placed in containers, while fresh fruit and vegetables are purchased at a weekly neighborhood farmers' market.

In fact, groceries was one of the easiest areas to eliminate packaging, Chameides said.

"The food is not so bad, but with DVDs, kids toys and so on, it's packaging you don't want, and it's frustrating," he told AFP. "What you don't realize is that you're paying for it, and pay for it again to dispose of it."

"So I buy rice and beans in bulk, there's no packaging. I pay less, it just makes sense. People need to wake up and say, this is not OK."

Ironically, even Chameides's rubbish will not go to waste. In January, his refuse will be sent to the Trash Museum of Connecticut to be exhibited.

Meanwhile, organic waste, such as banana skins and egg shells, is minced up by worms and used as compost. "Any kind of organic food and paper, except meat and fish. It's a really amazingly efficient system," Chameides enthuses.

His southern California home is fitted with solar panels while his car runs on used cooking oil . However, he insists that even if you don't follow his example to the letter, " sustainable living " can be achieved without huge sacrifices to your quality of life.

"I'm eating fresher food, I'm saving money , helping the local economy, supporting farmers instead of corporations. For me that's worth it. It's just thinking about doing the right thing," he says.

"It's just little steps. I'm not living in a cave. People think that the US quality of life should be living in a house with lights on all the time. We live a pretty decent life, by many people's standards we live a phenomenal life."

Even wrapping paper for Christmas gifts presents an opportunity to recycle.

"If we wrap something, it would be either in comics or something useful, reusable," he says.

• mrsjones5
  • snowbird
    snowbird

The time is coming when we ALL will have to do something similar.

Mark my words.

Sylvia

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    The time is coming when we ALL will have to do something similar.

it has already been an awakening for many many people of how much trash we generate and how WASTEFUL we truly are.........if you use paper towels, paper/plastic cups, dishes, and plastic utensils, then you are HUGELY wasteful, unless those things can be RE-CYCLED into something for RE-USE. At my last apartment complex, and not particulary ecologically minded, they had an area set aside to recycle newspaper, cardboard, plastic/glass bottles. I threw everything i could in them........empty plastic jars and bottles from food items of every sort........i figured if they could use it, they would, otherwise, something responsible would be done with the very unrecylable items. Here, in the new place, I asked a friend who already lived in the building about trash recycling options and she said that the waste company that picks up our garbage DOES recycle.........it makes me feel soooo much better to DO something, however small to try to make less impact on our Mother, Earth. Even on a larger scale, this has touched this town, regarding many lovely old buildings that were built in the early 1900's. One was recently destroyed and a local Executive of the Art League in town did a great piece on saving these architecural beauties of our town's history

Anyways, I'm sure that many people have similar stories and I'm not a member of a minority group........thankfully, it continues to grow and expand and using creativity and ingenuity, it transforms our trash into usable objects or even artwork, as in the story above.

• chickpea
    chickpea

our community has mandated recycling for nearly a decade now
    incl glass, plastic # 1 and # 2, cardboard and paper

it feels weird to have to "throw away" a
    recyclable plastic item in venues like public events

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

it feels weird to have to "throw away" a
    recyclable plastic item in venues like public events

not sure how we get a quote in that cool rectangular shaded block we used to on JWD, but, I know how you feel, CP.......that's a GOOD THING!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit