How the "family study night" could backfire on the WTS

by sir82 24 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm sure that most will study the TV and the mall. I would have, even when I was a hard core JW. I never liked the meetings and was relieved when they were over. I would have been jumping for a free night from meetings.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

JW's are used to being directed. This self study night will soon have a list of instructions

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I think there is a general consensus developing here:

• Most won't bother
    • The Society will soon start to dictate what should be studied on 'study' night
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'm willing to bet a pretty fair number will actually start to study the Bible, rather than studying books or magazines about the Bible.

Considering how mind-numbingly boring the New World Translation is to read, I doubt it. And it's so skewed towards JW belief that it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

What I think will happen is that JW's will start getting a flood of reminders™, encouragement™, suggestions™, and experiences™ in the pubs and at meetings regarding the benefits™ of having a family book study. Get ready for back-to-back 25 paragraph study articles regarding the family book study arrangement™ in an upcoming WT rag, oh joy, complete with loads of cheesy pics of both a supposed first-century Christian father studying scrolls with his wife and kids and also of some modern JW family, all dressed up and perfectly groomed, sitting around a perfectly clean table in a perfectly clean room with perfectly arranged flowers in a vase appearing somewhere in the scene, listening with rapt attention to the father, who will be holding up an open NWT in one hand and have his other raised as if gesturing to make some important point. Ugh.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, jw parents have been directed for years to have weekly home studies with their children (and to some degree with their spouse). There are numerous articles on how to do that past and present. Historically, parents have not had these studies, just a few die-hard ones. I have determined that based on my family, that of my cousins, and my contemporaries and current families I know. Good intentions that rarely get off the ground. The biggest offenders were elders not having studies with their family and in some only the mothers having the study. The WTS was unable to "influence" jw families in the past and having one more night (before had 3 weeknights, and 2 weekend nights already).

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit