Atheism as a psychological phenomenon.

by BurnTheShips 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Fair enough, but I have always had a good father despite his attachment to a high control group. Unlike many of my peers, my parents are still married. I had a good childhood.

I did come to the conclusion that just because my parents believed something to be true, however, that didn't mean that they were automatically right. I am able to see myself as their equal in anything except for age. We have looked at the world with our own eyes and come to different conclusions.

As for fear of death, well, I don't really want to die. Wishful thinking, however, won't prevent that fact. I know my parents believe that they will live forever. I won't spoil the comfort they receive from that belief by forcing my beliefs down their throat.

Dave

• free2think
    free2think
    c. Personal convenience. It is inconvenient to be a believer in a modern secular society. It involves the renunciation of sexual pleasures and the necessity of committing time and money. We are reluctant to make radical changes in our lifestyle.

ql

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

BTS , This is an very old argument that has appeared and talked about before many a times that atheistic beliefs has been derived from psychological trauma via religion.

Its true that indeed for some their direct involvement with a religion has perhaps flicked a switch to rethink what was being presented to the individual,

Since most main stream religions today have been established from past mythology of thousands of years ago and are structured on human ignorance does it make logical sense

to immerse humanity with the moral and social psychology of ancient primitive times ? For the betterment of humanity I think not, possibly for the simple reason the Gods never existed

but human ignorance certainly has.

Religion poisons the mind and darkens it, science opens it and gives understanding and helps to nourishes further knowledge.

• beksbks
    beksbks

First of all, I wasn't specifically speaking of this thread. As far as the article goes, I think it's a bit much. I'm sure being angry at god may hold for some people, but in that case, I would not call them atheists. Most people don't go out and become atheists like this guy apparently did. He gave reasons such as being embarrassed about his Midwest roots? Thought atheism would make him appear more intellectual, upwardly mobile, glamorous????? Sounds like he's got other issues.

What do you think about my question? Why are you so interested in the subject from such a hostile perspective?

As I said, the whole subject has very little effect on my daily life. I think possibly because those who are religious make it such a big part of their lives, they assume that the subject consumes as much of the non believers time and thoughts. It doesn't.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Religion poisons the mind and darkens it, science opens it and gives understanding and helps to nourishes further knowledge.

You make it sound as if it was either/or.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_thesis

Hamilcarr had excellent insights on this, but he hasn't been around for a while.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why are you so interested in the subject from such a hostile perspective?

This site exposes me to other viewpoints and stimulates my interest in why some choose one path, while others choose others. Also, any hostility I may feel is solely directed at intolerance.

Now, I realize that I absolutely fascinate you, and it is understandable that I do, (and you have yet to see pictures of my glorious body), but back to the subject at hand.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Fascinate.............ummm not the word I would have used........... You keep your "glorious" body on your side of the country mister!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    other viewpoints

This article only deals with the motives for militant atheism.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    This article only deals with the motives for militant atheism.

Do you really think so? I think it can describe motives for other flavors as well, even if not necessarily to the same degree. It's a continuum after all.

Nice to see you chime in!

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

When I still lived in the town where I had been a witness, I would see Dubs who knew me. I worked at a bank, then a bookstore, so I had lots of public contact and saw them plenty. Almost without exception I got the same reaction from them when they found out I had no intention of going back. They would shake their head and say "I'm sorry". They could in no way consider the possibility that I had thought it out and knew what I was doing, and that just maybe I was the one that was right, not them. I see this situation as very similar. We're just deluded, we're angry at god, our JW upbringing ruined us for belief, we are going through a phase, we will turn to god eventually............etc. etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit