Favorite Xmas Tunes?

by undercover 32 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Someone started a thread asking everyone's favorite Xmas movies.

How about favorite Xmas music/songs? Even when I was an active JW I had a soft spot for certain Xmas music. The standards, the jazzy ones, the rocknroll ones.

While I like a lot of different ones...I even collected my favs onto a playlist that I keep for this time of year...there are a few that really stand out as my favs. Partly because they were big htis when I was growing up or a teenager maybe.

There as so many good ones its hard to pick but one of my all time favorites...when I hear it I pretty much have to stop what I'm doing and enjoy it...and I'll probably be alone in recognizing this as a great song but here it is anyway:

I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake of King Crimson/Emerson, Lake and Palmer fame.

• minimus
    minimus

Porky Pig does a beautiful Blue Christmas. Seriously.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - it seems my soft spot is for the melancholy ones.

S4

• undercover
    undercover
    Porky Pig does a beautiful Blue Christmas

I have a copy of that Min, it's on my list of favs as well.

The actual name of the band is Seymour Swine and the Swinettes, or sumthin like that, since they couldn't use Porky Pig due to licensing. It's a couple of DJs in Charlotte, NC that did that. On air they call it Porky's Blue Xmas, but on the novelty record they had to use the other name.-

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Fairytale of New York.............

• loosie
    loosie

Trans Siberian orchestra - Carol of the bells

• sandy
    sandy

Happy Christmas - John Lennon

Christmas Shoes - not sure who the original singer is

I'll Be Home for Christmas - Josh Groban

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The 1993 release of Hey Santa by Carnie and Wendy Wilson. That song really pxxxes the witlesses off even worse than most Christmas songs, for some reason.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have no religious reasons for this, but I love "O Holy Night"

Years ago, while still a JW, I was working serving and cleaning up, for a large Christmas party at the home of some rich people I cleaned for. They had a string combo playing for their guests, and one of the guests got up and sang that song...........he had a fantastic operatic voice. I was in the pantry making up dessert platters, but the song brought tears to my eyes, it was so beautiful. Now I have many versions that I play all the time.

My favorite is the one by Il Divo. Josh Groban does a great job too.

• DJK
    DJK

It's not as much the song, it's the version or artist version I could have a preference to. This is one of a few version's of "Oh Holy Night" I enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-8jYpa1-o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit