The JW Dress Code

by sacolton 33 Replies latest jw friends

• andys
    andys

This is the part that I hated the most when I used to be in the borg was wearing a suit to the meetings, I felt that if I went anywhere public after the meetings or even just simply driving around or to the meetings that I was on the spot, even just stepping out my apartment door and people seeing me dressed in a suit I felt so much on the spot and hated it.

On occasion I go to several churches in the area when I feel the need to go to church and most churches I go to people are wearing blue jeans which is what I wear is just a nice pair of blue jeans and a nice shirt when going.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I remember my dad being counseled on the fact that he wore colored shirts - shortly after, they all started to wear them.

Also, one time he had to get dressed quick because he just got home for work, so he didn't wear socks and was counseled for that - it was on a Monday night in someone's house.

I don't understand why they can change their doctrines, but not the dresscode. Slacks and a nice shirt are perfectly acceptable for ladies. For our family, it became about how many dresses we could buy for every special event - like a fashion show!

In our church now, I wear jeans and it feels good that i don't have to worry about what I am wearing, but can just listen to the message!

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

All I remember is being pulled into the 'backroom' to be counseled about going braless,while wearing a black guaze shirt.seems that some of 'the brothers' were disturbed by my niples showing through the cloth.I was a very busty 15 yr old...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WTBTS always stated "Business attire" in the past.

In our area of California only low level lackies wear suits. The new look is Friday casual, or a nice shirt and slacks. Open collar. Black jeans or slacks and a Black silk shirt is practically formal wear. Black cowboy boots and black jeans are practically "Cowboy formal". Well shaped beards are now acceptable as are tidy pony tails for creative types.

JWs in cheap suits look ridiculous in service ..almost Amish. If 1890s "frock" coats could be purchased at Walmart WTBTS might require them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit