Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and those who leave cults

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

That's sad about your dad, Lady Lee. I must admit, I find it weird when we label the person that shares their natural human responses to upsetting experiences as somehow mentally disordered rather than perhaps listening and learning and adjusting course appropriately and/or AT LEAST accommodating the healing of vets as part of the whole process in a serious and committed fashion. I sometimes think of immigrants from war-ridden countries in a similar context.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Spaz I don't think of him as a father. He was my mother's third husband and I was married with 2 kids when he married into the family.

It's still sad to see so many people in the past that didn't get the help they needed. I can only hope it is better now.

And yes there has been a lot of research on victims of war and the impact they suffer as a result of being in such a horrid situation. I know there are professionals who specialize in this group of people. And there are also people who specialize in helping children who were kidnapped and forced to be soldiers.

It's all insane that people could go so far as to take children away from their families and teach them how to kill.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Great thread. Thanks Lady Lee. I can relate to so much of this. I can see it in my sister also. And my mother was a longtime victim of physical (and probably sexual) child abuse. This could explain her attraction to this religion. It probably did "help" her for a number of years.

• caliber
    caliber

I have not been to meetings in 10 plus years but I hear that there is a rash of people suddenly being diagnosed with Bi-polar like 4 in one congregation.. seems either no one is mentally ill or

suddenly they all are !

This past post got me to thinking

I think a lot of times they give the wrong diagnosis and confuse Bipolar with PTSD and I am pretty sure that a lot of JWs especially Ex-JWs have PTSD ... trueblue http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/183284/1/Anyone-here-have-Bi-Polar-II
    Any thoughts out there ??? Could it be that the cult is the problem and they don't even know it.. That they are wrongly being treated for the wrong disorder ??
  • caliber
    caliber

btt.. I really would like to know if there is a sudden trend across the board of JW's now seeking help for mental issues

unlike the past.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

I know I have it

• Watchtower-Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit