Do You Give Others the Benefit of the Doubt?

by compound complex 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning all:

Is it your nature to do so, or do you have to work at it?

Thanks,

CoCo

• d.boon
    d.boon

Folks are basically decent conventional wisdom would say.
    But we read of the exceptions in the papers every day.

-Neal Peart

• minimus
    minimus

Good Minimus type question.

I try to recognize where people are from, their background, etc. I try to look at the good in people but I'm very much a realist and when something doesn't smell right, I take notice right away. I'm very seldom wrong.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm gonna give this thread the benefit of the doubt and post on it...

...and my answer is: Depends.

Depends on the person, depends on the situation.

If someone has proven in the past to not deserve the benefit of the doubt, then no, I wouldn't give them that benefit. If it was someone who either has been fairly trustworthy in the past or doesn't have a track record with me, I'll give them the benefit of the doublt until they're proven to be okay or not.

If we're talking strangers, it depends on the situation. Some situations call for giving the benefit of doubt as common courtesy. Other times, it might mean going too far to allow someone to run rough shod over you which in that case I wouldn't.

So you see...you'll have to give my answer the benefit of the doubt as in it was not very concise...

• compound complex
    compound complex

d.boon:

Great quote; thanks!

minimus:

Imitation is the sincerest [fill in the blank].

Undercover:

Yes, there's a distinction re: to whom you would or would not give the benefit of the doubt and why.

I have found your response suitably concise so will not give you the benefit of the doubt as it is not required in this instance!

Many thanks!

CoCo

• happy1975
    happy1975

I trust my intuition. If I was to "work at" giving someone the benefit of the doubt then I would be going against my inner voice, which I try not to do.

Happy

• snowbird
    snowbird

I try to do so.

However, I've learned to trust my instincts.

Sylvia

• Robert7
    Robert7

I absolutely do, especially after leaving the cult. Learned that things aren't so black & white, and things tend to not be as extreme as you may think they are.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Typically I have learned when I can give others the benefit of the doubt and when I cannot. People that make a mistake or have problems beyond their ability to control, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and blame their misdeeds on those problems or a simple slipup. However, when a person is mean spirited, I will never give them the benefit of the doubt.

And that goes double for the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. There is a tiny chance that they could be misled; however, as consistently as they have created problems, I discount that possibility.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I may have but I doubt it now.........My motto is from the X-files...trust no one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit