Riots in Greece

by purplesofa 23 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

What are the circumstances as to why the 15 yr old boy got shot by policeman in Greece?

Does anyone know?

thanks,

purps

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Riots in Iceland, now in Greece. Hundreds killed in India. Seems like the planet is getting thrown into an uproar lately. It is going to be a bumpy ride for a while.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm wondering how JustHuman is faring.

Sylvia

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Well, I finally found this, was wondering why he tried to throw a firebomb?

I also read it is against the law in Greece for police to enter universities in Greece?

http://brennybaby.blogspot.com/2008/12/riots-in-greece-over-shooting-of-athens.html

The shooting of Alexandros Grigoropoulos,a youth who tried to throw a firebomb at a police car in Exarchia, Athens, has sparked three days of riots.

According to Al Jazeera, hundreds of youths in Athens attacked police cars with missiles, destroyed shops and set dozens of cars alight on hearing of the boy's death on Saturday.

The protests spread to Komotini and Ioannina in northern Greece and Hania in Crete, with thirty seven police injured.

This morning, there were further riots in Thessalonica, Greece's second city.

There are also reports that the Greek embassies in London and Berlin have been occupied.

University tutors have threatened a three day walkout and rallies are planned across Greece at dusk, according to the BBC.

Two police officers have been arrested over the shooting and Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis has written to the dead boy's family with his condolences.
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It is still looking pretty bad over there, they are on day 6:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081211/ts_nm/us_greece_unrest

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've just pm'd JustHuman to see how he's doing.

Waiting for a reply ...

Sylvia

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Originally gang of 30 youths attacked a police car...the Police fired a stun grenade to disperse them...one officer fired his gun in warning, the autopsy shows the youth was killed by a ricocheted bullet maybe off a wall} if this youth was involved in the gang he deserves it, RIP in hell you don't attack Poilce officers. Here in Australia we had riots 4 years ago. A youth crashed his un-licensed ass and was killed so everyone in his poor neighbourhood blamed the police chasing him.....only 16..boo hoo....how stupid could people be! I have no compasion for idiots.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Witness007,
    no wonder you are scared of demons.

purps

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes I am a demon for justice...how do you justify such behavior which endangers peaceful citizens?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    one officer fired his gun in warning, the autopsy shows the youth was killed by a ricocheted bullet maybe off a wall}

That doesn't make much sense to me. First of all, they teach (at least here) not to fire "warning shots", since those fired in the air come down hard, and those fired down can ricochet up. However, this bullet bounced of a wall.....not the ground. Maybe there are other details but this looks to me like the cop was actually aiming towards them and it bounced off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit