Should JW's Visit A Hypnotist?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

No!

I recall that the WT stated that one's mind was open to demon possession when in a hypnotic trance.

This is quite curious, during the 50's my Dad dabbled in hypnotism prior to becoming a JW, one of his old pals told me that he saw him hypnotise a woman who then allowed him to stick pins in her thumb without her feeling any pain at all.

I have seen a hypnotist transfix a friend of mine to the floor, he was unable to move without the hypnotists OK.

I also have another friend who uses a light trance to help people overcome their fears, it seems to work well on peple who have to give seminars or perform on stage.

Anyone here ever been hypnotised?

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I haven't, but my wife, an active JW, visited a hypnotist earlier this year. It's essentially a form of deep relaxation, and there is none of this "under a spell" stuff the JWs are so up in arms about. She was totally conscious and aware during the entire process, and still uses a tape from the session for deep relaxation. It was all for health reasons.

I think Discover magazine did a terrific article on hypnotism earlier this year, which debunked a lot of the myths. Seems it's another area of JW superstition, like yoga leading to the occult or those darn demonized Trolls!!

My best to you,
    S4

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It is unwise for JW's to visit a hypnotist. The reason for this is that
    at then end of the session, the hypnotist will typically snap his fingers,
    and the subject will awaken. If a JW is present when this happens, he
    may awaken from his slumber and realize that his beliefs were just a
    dream.

Actually, around my area, hypnotists are strictly forbidden among the JW's.
    They are certain that demon possesion is guaranteed if you visit one.

• LDH
    LDH

I'm going next week with friends.

Lisa

• target
    target

I went to a psychologist a few years ago, while yet a JW, for help in dealing with issues invloving my mother and my childhood. The psychologist used hypnosis to take me back to my childhood and also to change my reaction to the things my mother did. I was aware of what was going on the whole time. It worked beautifully and helped me a great deal. If only eight of my brothers and sisters would do the same. They still suffer with their memories.
    Of course this was something I could not mention to other JWs at the time.

Target

• Simon
    Simon

No one could ever hypnotise me but then I am a duck ... quack, quack.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i was hypnotised at my senior graduation party. this was after i'd been da'd for about 9 months. my mom found out (she saw the video tape) and was SO mad at me! so i guess hypnotising isn't for jws. but i argued back "I NOT A JW NOW!" hehe

• ISP
    ISP

Anyone seen 'Office Space'!

ISP

• crownboy
    crownboy

Ditto Seeker4 on the yoga comment (this is the 2nd time for the day I've dittoed you. Great minds think alike ).

I told my parents I was thinking of taking a yoga class next term in my school. I have trouble relaxing sometimes and it's supposed to relieve stress or something (plus the class is free ).

They damn near blew up on me, telling me how one can be demon possessed if one "leaves their mind empty" or whatever tripe the Watchtower has to say on the issue. I ask them for bible evidence that shows such to be the case (of course no real scriptures were presented). Lucky for them, with my work schedule I very well may not be able to take the class, but if I can make it I'll certainly try it (gotta keep away the yoga demons, though ).

To answer the question, no they don't need to. Aren't they already hypnotized enough?

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• Englishman
    Englishman

The most effective use of hypnotism that I ever saw was when I had to hold a seminar for a large number of very critical people. The hypnotist got me relaxed, then got me to visualise myself spluttering and hesitating, all the while imagining this on a mental full colour cinema screen.

Then she got me to visualise this screen turning black and white, at the same time, in the corner of my imaginary screen, a little "pop up box" would appear of me holding everyone spell-bound with my words. The little pop-up box was then instructed to sweep over the negative image, blowing it away completely. I had to imagine this in vivid colour, several times a day.

Well, it worked incredibly well. Come the day I was confident and assertive and presented my speech well, basically I had looked fear in the eye and swept it aside.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit