Two New Bibles Preach A Hip, Eco-Friendly Gospel

by betterdaze 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I understand they are poles apart. But you cannot argue that these verses have been misused, for millennia, to degrade the earth, animals, plants, and yes, mankind.

After all, God's going to make a new heavens and a new earth, right? And doesn't it state in Revelation that God will (soon) destroy those destroying the earth?

And if you're going to heaven to live with Jesus — the planet earth being some sort of cosmic testing ground — why be concerned with "earthly" issues?

Just leave it in God's hands and he'll sort it out! Religion, and wars resulting from religion, have done a lot to destroy this planet and everything in it. And that attitude
    goes right back to Genesis 1: "We can do it because our God said so, and he's gonna fix it all anyway."

That's not to say there aren't some common-sense environmental ideas in the Bible, there are. Like allowing a field to lay fallow every 7 years. I think that's what this
    "Green Bible" addresses, and it's a good start for religionists to finally take some initiative on environmental issues in a context and comfort zone that meets their approval.

~Sue

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But you cannot argue that these verses have been misused, for millennia, to degrade the earth, animals, plants, and yes, mankind.

People misuse a lot of things, but blaming the wrong source is a mistake. lot of verses have been misused, people will try to justify anything. But put the blame where it lies, and that is not on Scripture.

After all, God's going to make a new heavens and a new earth, right? And doesn't it state in Revelation that God will (soon) destroy those destroying the earth?

Name me one major religious tradition that does not have an apocalyptic element. An end of time. A new cycle. Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and native-American religions...they all have it. Even the New Agers are waiting for a coming new global consciousness, that will be a "new heaven and earth". If anything your statement shows that a disregard for the planet is biblically un-godly.

And if you're going to heaven to live with Jesus — the planet earth being some sort of cosmic testing ground — why be concerned with "earthly" issues?

Which Jesus are we talking about here? Is it the one that spoke of doing onto others? The one that talked about how we treat the littlest ones of his brothers? The one that not only fingered the evil action, but the internal motive and thinking that leads to the subsequent action as evil? The gospel is a message, not just of an act of faith, but of action.

And that attitude goes right back to Genesis 1: "We can do it because our God said so, and he's gonna fix it all anyway."

Who have you ever heard of with any leadership in any Christian denomination, even wacky ones, that has said anything along those lines? That says we can do evil in the world and it doesn't matter because God will fix it anywat? Heck, even the crazy fringes of Christianity don't talk like this, at least not that I have ever heard, and they only hold sway over a small minority of Christians overall.

BTS

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    "The actual form of the Bible, we think, is a green product," he says, noting that the entire book is made of recyclable materials.

Recyclable, eh? Like pretty much any book, then. Far better to make it durable than recyclable, as it's not intended to be a disposable product. Or make it from recycled materials, rather than virgin stock. Or don't make it at all, given that there's no shortage of bibles in circulation. Or campaign to have existing bible publishers improve their environmental credentials.

• mavie
    mavie

That is an error derek. The Green Bible website claims to use recycled paper.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Morning Edition, December 4, 2008 · Two new Bibles targeting a young, hip — even secular — audience are hitting bookstores. One is a slick, illustrated version of the New Testament; the other is an environmentally friendly edition that takes advantage of the popularity of the green movement.

This seems like a tall order when considering what kind of carbon footprint the temple must have left, with all of it's burning sacrifices. Maybe they added a verse where Hezekiah buys carbon credits.

And what do they do about the book of Daniel? Cutting down that large tree, and puting a band around it? How un-green!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

BTS, imperial China, the Maya, etc. never existed on a global scale. The body of scientific knowledge and communications abilities we have today didn't even exist.
    No different with the bible writers, who were even *less* knowledgeable.

Soviet Russia and modern-day China have a "lack of lineage in the Judeo-Christian tradition" as you put it. So what? The rapid industrialization in those nations
    has been copied from "Judeo-Chrisitian" nations like the U.S. If we who live in "one nation under God" can rape the environment, why shouldn't they? They don't even
    need the bible, they have *us* who supposedly follow it and founded our country on it.

I'm not blaming the bible for *all* environmental issues, it's foolish for you to even impute that. I do blame religionists of all faiths who believe the bible is some sort of
    God-given excuse to use/abuse the earth and everything in it with his express backing.

Thanks for taking a topic about two new bible editions into some political rant against those Godless Commies, LOL! I'll respond to your other points later, if I feel like it.

~Sue

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS, imperial China, the Maya, etc. never existed on a global scale.

Neither does any sort of "Christian" civilization. The industrial technical world has been variously described as "post Christian". It is interesting that such large, industrial scale abuse started just as Christianity began to seriouslt wane in the larger society.

The rapid industrialization in those nations
    has been copied from "Judeo-Chrisitian" nations like the U.S. If we who live in "one nation under God" can rape the environment, why shouldn't they? They don't even
    need the bible, they have *us* who supposedly follow it and founded our country on it.

So what evil they do they copy from us, but what good they do is their own? I can't help but think that you come across very prejudicial. Industrialization is harmful if not done properly, period. This has nothing to do with any ancient religious texts.

I do blame religionists of all faiths who believe the bible is some sort of God-given excuse to use/abuse the earth and everything in it with his express backing.

Who are these mysterious people, I'd like to meet them. I've never met one. Could you kindly point me to a source for these biosphere hating Christians? If any exist they must be few and far between indeed.

Thanks for taking a topic about two new bible editions into some political rant against those Godless Commies, LOL!

No rants here, it is just a comparison, and a valid one. Your posts suggested some sort of cause and effect, when there evidently is none. China was never a majority Christian nation for example, and Russia didn't really start industrial-strength trashing their environment until after the Soviets their fur and skin trading business notwithstanding.

I'll respond to your other points later, if I feel like it.

I look forward to it.

BTS

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

My connection isn't tenuous, Burns. Genesis does indeed promote, not a stewardship role of the environment, but a utilitarian view of it. Societies have used this mentality to justify territorialism and the "manifest destiny" belief system that subjected not only the natural environment to economic progress, but also by viewing native peoples as substantively part of the land. Now, with that said, in recent times people have interpreted the Bible to support a more environmentally-responsible stewardship ethic you mention, but it hasn't entirely reversed the effects of the former mentality.

I tend to believe that these people are, however, struggling to make a two-thousand-year-old text fit the socio-cultural norms of today, and that although Jesus had a distinctly different message than the Old Testament, the Bible as a whole is not overly concerned with Man's relationship with the physical environment.

edit: grammar

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My connection isn't tenuous, Burns.

You'll have to do a bit more than make an assertion. A bit of 'splainin, please. A bit of exegesis please?

struggling to make a two-thousand-year-old text fit the socio-cultural norms of today

The text has always spoken according to the times in which it was read. There are many layers of meaning. It is like a palimpsest. It has always been, and remains, a relevant text.

Genesis does indeed promote, not a stewardship role of the environment, but a utilitarian view of it.

It doesn't take much wrestling with the text (if at all) to see environmentally responsible principles outlined therein

The Jewish interpretation of the Torah in particular stresses the extreme respect for animal life embodied in it. We can think of Nimrod, and the negative way his bloodthirstiness was depicted. Esau was a hunter, and he was the less favored of Isaac's sons. Since you bring up Genesis:

Genesis 2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

In Deuteronomy 22:6, 7 we see that a mother bird should not be taken along with it's nest. Here we see a principle of conservation.

Jesus said that a even a little sparrow is of value to God, He feeds them, and not one falls to earth without His knowledge.

There is also a text in the OT that states that when a city is besieged in war, that its trees should not be destroyed, I am not sure where right now. There are many other examples.

I don't know of any Christian group (or Jewish) that actively calls for environmental destruction. We all have breathe the same air, drink the same water, and are fed by the fruit of the same ground. It is in our common interest to have a world free of undue contamination. God gave humans dominion over the earth, both figurative and literal, and we are to be good stewards of what has been entrusted into our hands. But ultimately, God owns it, He made it, it is sacred, and you don't go trashing God's property.

BTS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Rather than use the quote function, I'll respond to all those who posted comments blaming the message of the Bible for lack of environmental concern:

First and foremost, with or without a Bible or Bible training, it is a FACT that, if one were suddenly dropped into the jungle/ wilderness, for a month or longer, they would NOT survive without using nature as a resource, the "utilitarian" view alluded to in this thread.

Second, the Bible does not teach a disregard for creation, rather, to be good stewards of resources. Just because greed causes most to abandon that proper stewardship is not a "ding" against the Bible.

Third, as has been stated in this thread, God will bring to RUIN those RUINING the earth. This can hardly be interpreted as encouraging the rape of creation for profit.

BA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit