Why is it important for us to keep telling our stories

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I realize not everyone here was sexually abused while they were children in the WTS. But many of us were victims.

But many more of us were victims of other kinds of abuse; physical, emotional and definitely spiritual abuse.

In light of the wonderful work that people like JWD's researchers, pdf creators, the old guard (who were the first gaurd- Kent, Jan H, Jan G, Farkel, Lee Elder, Randy, Franz, Barbara Anderson, as well as non-JWs, Norris and Love, etc. . . . , have done, they have helped create an atmosphere where it is finally safe for us to tell our stories.

Simon has created the place to speak our truths.

We tell our stories because they are our stories. Uncensored. Raw at times. Stirring. Freeing. Because we were silenced for so long we really need to share our experiences and the long-term effects of it. I keep telling my story, not out of a need to do my venting but out of a real concern for others. So many new people come here. They feel lost, alone, and are terribly hurt. And we know the WTS doesn't listen. The elders don't listen. Even families don't listen. If telling helps one person then I will keep speaking my truth.

We tell because it really helps to:

• find out we were not alone
    • embrace the freedom to talk and share
    • get support
    • offer support to other victims
    • empower oursleves and take control of our recovery
    • know we are believed (especially true if we were told we were lying or mistaken)

We also want to protect others. Silence only makes more victims. The one thing that an abuser wants from his victims is silence. They threaten us with all kinds of terrible things. They blame us. They make us feel like we are reposible. They tell us we are dirty and deserved it. They tell us (through their behavior) that we are worth nothing. They tell us we are weak, undeserving, vile, debased,and wicked - ruled by Satan.

Abusers want one thing -- silence. Every time we are silenced about our experiences abusers get what they want - protection so they can continue to hurt people with no accountability. When people give abusers what they wants - that precious silence - they are empowered to continue abusing us and others. They are empowered to find more victims. Many abusers actually believe they are not hurting anyone. And many abusers think no cares. If no one sees then it doesn't matter

I have no desire to see one more person hurt. So I speak out now. I speak out now and know people are listening.

Some one told me it is too painful to read our stories. Yes it is painful to read. I ache for each story I have read. Sometimes I need to take time before reading another story. I can understand their pain in a way that only other victim's can understand. But I read them. It hurts but I read them.

I know how much it takes for a victim to tell his or her story. When I tell my story for a new group of people I no longer shake. My body used to react to the telling. Telling releases a lot of fear but it stirs up a lot of fear too. What if they don't believe me? What if no one responds? What if they think it wasn't that bad? It isn't easy to tell our stories. It means that in the telling we relive it. Too many can't even begin to tell you how bad it really was. I try to do that with my poetry. The feelings are raw. But it takes a lot to do that. I doubt there is one victim here who has told her story and not suffered that night because of the memories. It isn't easy. Trying to explain spiritual abuse to a person who has never experienced it is extremely difficult. Most often they have no frame of reference for it

Those of us who tell our stories want one thing from you.

Read them. Take your time and don't read them all at once. But please honor the effort and the pain it takes for many of us to tell our stories. You don't need to say a lot. A hug is good. Just a sad face will do. Sometimes that can be the most piognant. Let us know you were there. Let us know you will not stand by quietly and pretend you didn't see it.

There are so many of us here. Some tell their stories for the first time here on the pages of JWD. Even if you cannot express any words just let them know you took the time to share their pain.

We lived it. We only ask that you read it and share for a few minutes.

And please, when you are ready, share your stories with others. Here for now, on JWN when it opens, on other websites, even on your own website (they are quite easy to make).

Don't let anyone silence you again.

Thank you.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Lady Lee.....Very eloquently put. Like yourself, I try to read all the new posters stories. And yes, it is very trying at times to have to re-live the expierence of our own stories through theirs. These cannot and MUST not be minimized as it only reinforces the jw mindset of those who created and contributed to our own and sometimes very unique damaged psyche.

For many of us the story only continues as we have many loved ones still trapped in that mindset. I, for one am one of those. I have a continuing saga with my 2 two sons, ages 30 and 34. I will be relating another one this afternoon. It just hurts me so bad to have to learn of the depth to which my EX and my older son's wife are going to in order to keep their jw claws into my younger son's mind. It is only getting worse as it is now affecting my younger son's relationship with his new found love. More on this in my afternoon thread.

Lady Lee, again I laud you for your courage and insight as so well written in your threads.

I am and remain,

NMG

• oompa
    oompa

Double Ditto Lady Lee!....it is a Jehovah's Witness Disscussion Forum.....and if for discussing just about anything about them or how they have impacted our lives. My JW wife gives me a bit of grief when she sees me clicking away on my laptop, because she knows what site I am on and thinks she knows what us Apostates are doing on our Apostate website. I have set her straight that this is NOT an Apostate website and that is not the purpose of this forum. Fortunately our marriage counselor explained to her that I needed a SUPPORT GROUP!....and also that it is totally NORMAL to seek out others with similar life altering experiences. Fortunately, MOST of those posting here offer such support, and often by telling their own story.........thank you Lady Lee, and Simon....and soooo many others for taking the time...........................oompa

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lady Lee,

After I had been out for about 20 years, I became curious about my old religion and started reading those stories you mentioned. I was dumbfounded. With few exceptions, I would say to myself, "Good God. That was MY story, too." I've reads hundreds of them since then, and most of them are still MY story, too.

The plethora of so similar stories out there almost makes one wonder if they were all written by the same person. But they weren't. They were written by thousands of different people from every part of this world, under many different circumstances, and occurring in many different decades STILL they all sound so familiar and similar. There are hundreds of thousands more stories that still remain untold, too.

If a few people tell horror stories about a religion, it is one thing. If thousands of people tell horror stories about a religion and the stories all relate the same horrors, it is quite another thing.

If the WTS and dubs deny tons of evidence that ALL point to the fact that the WTS is rotten-to-the-core and is rotten for all the same reasons, they might as well deny that the Holocaust ever occurred, too.

Farkel

P.S. You inadvertently forgot to mention Alan F. He's been an active opposer for at least hundred years and is my personal apostate hero!

• dinah
    dinah

Well said, Lady Lee.

Reading the stories of other born-in's who escaped helped me more than anything else. I was not alone. We know we weren't the only ones who were freaks at school. We weren't the only ones who hated being dragged to meetings, but still believed God would kill us if we didn't go.

I never suffered any abuse at all from my parents. But being raised as a Witness is definitely abusive mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Thanks for the reminder, Lady.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lady Lee..What an Excellent Thread......The WBT$ would love to isolate anyone that opposes them..Years ago that was not possible..Then came the internet..All of a sudden there was information out there,about the WBT$.....And..Knowledgeable writers like Farkle, AlanF and so many others you have mentioned.........Then came Simon Green`s JWD..That created a Dub Cyber World like no one had ever seen before..I could`nt believe my Frigg`n eye`s!..LOL!!......JWD is about to Morph into JWN.........Our own evolution has been amazing to watch........................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I only tell my story in tiny bits and pieces. The scope of mine is too big, too complex to contain in a few paragraphs. Since I am raising a grandson alone and trying to support us, I don't have the energy it would take to try to write the whole thing down. I guess maybe I really don't need to tell it all at once. I go to therapy almost every week, with a godsend of a psychologist. She sees me nearly pro-bono. We work on mostly helping me to learn coping skills and how to reframe my thinking and perceptions of life and of myself.

One thing I am very grateful for is that through most of my childhood and life, I have been able to seize on the joys of life and expound upon them, no matter what other miserable things were happening at the time. The bad thing about being drawn into the WTBTS's way of thinking is that they did their best to gradually and systematically rob me of that ability. And when they finally succeeded in making me put my optimistic view aside, I fell apart. I collapsed in exhaustion and I have never been quite the same. I damn them for that. For robbing us all of our unique and natural coping skills. There is nothing healing nor healthy about the program they promote. They are indeed angels of darkness masquerading as angels of light. They seek to infuse deadly guilt as a mechanism of control, with no consience as to the live's from which they steal Quality. They have destroyed individuals and families.

We are here at this forum, in part, to be able to resurrect our dignity and abilities to cope. And being given a voice and place to speak out, even it's in bits and pieces, as in my case, is healthy and is a good program. People should always have a voice. Self-expression should never be silenced. Indiviuality should never be discouraged. Why do governments and people who find themselves in self made governments over self made countries, such as the Governing body and the org, seek to snuff out healthy individuality? I don't think in the Gov Bod's case they are planning it. I think it's an ugly weakness some people give in to, of the dark need to control.

How very like China, the governing body is. They took away individuality and put in its place enforced uniformity and conformity. The discouraged self expression. Have you ever seen that comparison?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nomoreguilt

It is so tragic that after leaving, sometimes years later, people are still affected by the long arm of the WTS. It acts like a virus that you can never quite get rid of. The best we can do when we have family still in is hang on in the hopes that one day they too will be free to leave.

oompa

good for you to get the counseling and excellent that he or she supports your method of getting help where you can

Farkel

I knew I was missing some. I agree that Alan F has done a lot to provide information that sets people free.

20 years - wow the WTS does have a very long arm. It controls so many even years after they have left.

Like you I saw myself in the stories of others. As you said a handful of stories can be easily discounted. But hundreds and thousands from everywhere around the globe is too much to ignore - if people begin to look.

dinah

Let's not forget having to go on service and knocking on the doors of our classmates.

OUTLAW

Many people came to Simon's new site after H2O closed down. I'll bet he never would have imagined what JWD would become and the vital role it has played in both exposing the WTS and providing a real forum for people to connect with others whi really do understand what it has been like to live as a JW and to discover life after.

We shall soon see where JWN takes us.

flyinghighnow

I too could only tell my story in bits and pieces. . I have been able to write the early years and put them in one place. The middle years are still stuck in my head or are scattered all over JWD.

Why do governments and people who find themselves in self made governments over self made countries, such as the Governing body and the org, seek to snuff out healthy individuality? I don't think in the Gov Bod's case they are planning it. I think it's an ugly weakness some people give in to, of the dark need to control.

How very like China, the governing body is. They took away individuality and put in its place enforced uniformity and conformity. Have you ever seen that comparison?

Actually it is just like China. When Lifton did his research on Thought Reform he studied the POWs of China's post war "re-education" Lifton's book Thought Reform andf the Psychology of Totalism describes his study. See my discussion on this at

Mind Control Techniques and Jehovah's WitnessesIt is also the basis for the video I made in 2001 http://exjwvideos.spiritualtechnologies.ca/

• flipper
    flipper

LADY LEE- I agree it is important for people to keep coming forward with their stories of being an ex-JW or stories of abuse as it's not only therapeutic for them as a person but helps others who have been through similar things to see they are not alone. It might has helped others to be more courageous to fight for their freedom and rights whether they have been under " mind control" by the witness cult or have been put under control by fearing a pedophile .

Right now my wife and I have been in contact with a lurking witness who is standing up to a pedophile in her congregation. It hasn't been easy for her ; however she is keeping the interests of the children at heart and their safety and protection ! We turned her on to a number of other posters who have been through similar things - and she is feeling stronger to face her situation because of these new friends she has made from the boards ! That is in my opinion what it's all about - like the Kevin Spacey movie " Pay it Forward " this whole thing in my opinion is about giving back to those who have and are suffering like we all did at one time. To be there for them because we know the WT society and witnesses sure won't be there for them. Great thread by you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Hear hear! Fortunately I didn't suffer sexual abuse but like many JW children I did suffer physical, emotional and spiritual abuse. Reading other people's stories has been a great comfort to me. As Farkel says, their story is my story!

MM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit