Any thoughts on this quote from the Bible?

by siegswife 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• siegswife
    siegswife

In Luke 13:20,21 it says: "And again He said: 'With what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and his in three large measures of flour until the whole mass was fermented."

I've been thinking about this. Now, discounting religions that don't share the common God of the OT, we have Islam, Judaism and Christianity. All three of these religions claim to have dibs on the 'truth' about God. Yet all three have different sects, views and classes within them. All three of these religions come from the same 'Source' yet each one is 'leavened' in its own way. All of them are developing separately.
    A question, would this 'leaven' be the leaven of the pharisees or the ingredient of 'truth' needed in each one to develop into a finished product? Or both?

• RR
    RR

Good question, I believe the leaven spoken of here is sin.
    Leaven in the Bible is always used as a symbol of corruption, of sin.

Consider what 1 Corinthians 5:7 says: "Purge out, therefore, the old leaven [sin, malice, hatred, strife, etc.], that ye may be a new lump."

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Pharisees, definitely!

Penn

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

RR,

You really think Christ is comparing the kingdon of heaven to sin?

"And again He said: 'With what shall I compare the kingdom of God?"

To sin??? I'll compare God's kingdom to sin!?!?!

Would Jesus really be saying the kingdom of heaven is like sin???

God's kingdom is GOOD, so Jesus must be meaning the leaven is GOOD and doing something GOOD.

I personally do not believe that Jesus is comparing his kingdom to sin.

I believe the "kingdom of heaven" is like leaven in that it will "infect" (like leaven) for good.

Sin as leaven (lies/hypocrisy) is bad, it corrupts the whole.

The kingdom of heaven as leaven (truth) is good, it exposes the three.

>>Consider what 1 Corinthians 5:7 says: "Purge out, therefore, the old leaven [sin, malice, hatred, strife, etc.], that ye may be a new lump."<<

Notice Paul says to purge out "the OLD leaven?"

I believe the kingdom of heaven is the NEW leaven.

Become a new lump and bring on the new leaven, the kingdon of heaven.

That's what I believe it means.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

The Five Gospels compares Luke 13:20-21 with Matthew 13:33 and Thomas 96:1-2. Here is the commentary that follows the passages in Matthew and Luke.

Ginny

Matthew 13:33

He told them another parable: Heaven's imperial rule is like leaven which a woman took and concealed in fifty pounds of flour until it was all leavened.

Leaven. This parable transmits the voice of Jesus as clearly as any ancient record can, in the judgment of most Fellows of the Jesus Seminar.

In this one-sentence parable, Jesus employs three images in ways that would have been striking to his audience. The woman takes leaven and "conceals" it in flour. "Hiding" leaven in flour is an unusual way to express the idea of mixing yeast and flour. The surprise increases when Jesus notes that there were "fifty pounds" of flour. Three men appear to Abraham in Genesis 18 as representatives of God. They promise him and his wife, Sarah, that she will bear a son the following spring, although she was beyond the age of childbearing. For the occasion, Sarah is instructed to make cakes of fifty pounds of flour to give to the heavenly visitors. Fifty pounds of flour, it seems, is a suitable quantity to celebrate an epiphany--a visible, though indirect, manifestation of God. The third surprising figure in the one-line parable is the use of leaven.

Jesus employs the image of the leaven in a highly provocative way. In Passover observance, Judeans regarded leaven as a symbol of corruption, while the lack of leaven stood for what was holy. In a surprising reversal of the customary associations, the leaven here represents not what is corrupt and unholy, but God's imperial rule--a strategy the Fellows believe to be typical of Jesus.

Luke 13:20-21

He continued: What does God's imperial rule remind me of? It is like leaven which a woman took and concealed in fifty pounds of flour until it was all leavened.

Leaven. Like the mustard seed, the parable of the leaven makes light of an established symbol. Leaven was customarily regarded as a symbol for corruption and evil. Jesus here employs it in a positive sense. That makes his use of the image striking and provocative.

The mustard seed and the leaven are picture parables: they paint a simple but arresting picture that depends, for its cogency, on the juxtaposition of contrary images. To compare God's imperial rule to leaven is to compare it to something corrupt and unholy, just the opposite of what God's rule is supposed to be. This reversal appears to be characteristic of several of Jesus' sayings, such as "the last will be first and the first last." The Fellows included the parable of the leaven in that small group of sayings and parables that almost certainly originate with Jesus.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

That's nice, but what do YOU think it means?

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Pomegranate,

I am not a Bible believer, so I frankly don't care what it means. I thought the commentary might be helpful to y'all in trying to determine what Jesus may have meant by it.

Ginny

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ginny

If that was really what jesus was like, it's now wonder the jews killed him. Why, if that jesus came today, in the flesh, with a message of that nature, he would be killed first by the fundamentalists, a second time by the protestants, a third time by catholics. I'm not sure there would be anything left for the muslims to stone. Since jews are already fairly corrupt, they would leave him be, but then they already did him one time.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pom

People living by spirit are as people without law, and so appear lawless/corrupt by your lawkeepers. But then my opinion doesn't count because i'm not a bible believer. The above may be a truth that has survived the writers and the church.

SS

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

>>I am not a Bible believer, so I frankly don't care what it means. I thought the commentary might be helpful to y'all in trying to determine what Jesus may have meant by it.<<

Hmm. A non-believer in the Bible showing believers in the Bible what to believe about the Bible.

That's interesting.

>>People living by spirit are as people without law, and so appear lawless/corrupt by your lawkeepers.<<

I believe you have that wrong. Here, let me fix it for you:

People living by spirit are as people without law, and so appear lawless/corrupt by MY lawkeepers.

>>The above may be a truth that has survived the writers and the church.<<

Now with the correction it is. Especially with you being Satan and all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit