401K, do you still have one?

by DJK 22 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

Several years ago I considered starting one. Didn't understand it at all. The HR dept where I work had closed and to start a 401K I had to do it online. It was so hard I gave up and never did it.

Yesterday I learned from someone at work that the 401K plan tanked and everyone lost their money. $30K to $40K in just two weeks for most was gone.

Is that really possible? If it is, my ignorance has been my savior.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

What is that?

• DJK
    DJK

401K is an investment plan for your retirement.

• ninja
    ninja

witney thought they had upped the numbers for the anointed....."yeah ..I met one of the 401k"

• ninja
    ninja

he he

• DJK
    DJK

LOL ninja.

My wife has lost half of her money. I say do something about it. She tries to explain to me it isn't that easy. I just don't understand. I spend 2 dollars a week on the lottery for the last 10 years, break even and she call's me a gambler.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

did you put the money you would have saved in a 401K somewhere else?

lisa

• DJK
    DJK
    did you put the money you would have saved in a 401K somewhere else?

Just a savings account. Over the years the interest rate has dropped to half of a percent. That isn't earning much. I'm still in the company retirement plan that will always grow. Money put in by my employer and I can't contribute to it, that's why the 401 plan is available. If I live and stay employed where I am 12 more years, I could retire with 1 million dollars. After taxes that isn't a lot.

• musky
    musky

There is no money lost until money from the plan is taken out. If people cash in their 401K's, then that is money lost. That is a mistake right now. The market will eventually recover over time. The time to have made changes/reallocations would have been back in July 08 or so. Also, if you stay contributing to the plan, you are buying at a much lower share price. (Buy low sell high)

• choosing life
    choosing life

Our only retirement is in 401ks from work. We will receive no pensions. It was hard to watch them go down 30-40%. They say to ride it out though and it will balance out.

I sure hope they are right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit