how to understand 1 Cor 6:9

by Newborn 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Newborn
    Newborn

I'm not sure if I believe in the bible as God's word anymore. While some things are very clear in there much isn't.

Curious how you understand Pauls words in 1Cor that adulterers and men who lies with men shall not inherit Gods Kingdom? That's so judgemental.

Thanks for your thoughts.

/Newborn

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

"Newborn" it is very judgemental but I feel since no one really is going to "inherit" any imaginary "Kingdom" I feel much better. Build your own Kingdom in your heart.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

As I understand it, most literary works, no matter their source or origin, are limited by the socio-political belief structures of their day. It's a pretty old book. Not only are the semantics of each label debatable, but the historical context of the day and age it was written are key factors. Is there any particular reason you honed in on that script? As that book itself says, "there is wisdom in a multitude of counsellors". Even the JWs will ultimately say of most if not all things, when publicly and especially legally pressed, that it's a conscience matter. Really, appropriate ethical decisions are as variant as the circumstances producing a need for such a decision. Good on ya for looking elsewhere too for a well-rounded view of when and how to formulate opinions in life. Good health to you!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I want you all to know ,,,, I have a book called Hard Sayings of the Bible.
    So I went to look to see what the answer to your question is.

As I opened the book looking for that chapter,( I have not used the book since my daughter died (June 27/99)it was hers.) & in one of the pages I found a note from HER!!!!! Never seen it before!!!
    I would like to share her writing with you....
    she has 1 Peter 1...Rom 12.1 & 2...Rev 3 then she has written "What does Jesus hate most ?Conflict or conformity.????

On another peice of paper she has written

'Time is too slow for those who wait
    To swift for those who fear
    To long for those who grieve
    To short for those who rejoice
    But for those who LOVE time is eternity ( it is signed Sept the 6/97
    Over the other side of that note it says

Goodbye!
    Goodbye is very hard to say
    if you think it means she has gone away
    and is no more
    But goodbye is easier
    when you know it means
    "God be with you"
    And it does
    And he is"

signed Melanie with 3 xxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry to steal the thread ,BUT THANK YOU for asking the Question.....I will look for the answer when I can stop the tears... It is a very long answer,but the gist is all of us are sinners ,NONE are rightous that is why Christ died for all "OUR" sins because "Nothing is impossible with God."

• choosing life
    choosing life

There are some good principles in the Bible. It was written by men though who write with the predjudices and social beliefs of the time they lived.

I cor 6:9 reflects the beliefs of Paul. He had a lot of opinions, even stated them as opinions at some times. A literal word for word interpretation of the Bibleis just not believable or factual.

• mouthy
    mouthy

bttp

• still_in74
    still_in74
    Sorry to steal the thread ,BUT THANK YOU for asking the Question.....I will look for the answer when I can stop the tears... It is a very long answer,but the gist is all of us are sinners ,NONE are rightous that is why Christ died for all "OUR" sins because "Nothing is impossible with God."

nicely put mouthy,

PS - i had tears reading that....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If you are interested in the cultural context and the likely meaning of the difficult words (arsenokoitai, malakoi) in 1 Corinthians 6:9, here is a pretty good article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LAL/is_1_34/ai_n6147828/print

Check out especially the quotes by Philo of Alexandria. The main thing was an insistance on clearly distinct gender roles as dictated by "nature" (cf. Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 11:3, 7, 14), reflecting traditional Jewish mores. The diaspora Jews were in the midst of a dominant Hellenistic culture which had very different mores (including the socially-sanctioned practices of prostitution and pederasty) that were regarded with revulsion by Jews. Paul argues in Romans 1 that the Gentiles practice these things as a sort of divine punishment given to them by God for following their own polytheistic gods and philosophies.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, mouthy.

Thank you for sharing your daughter's words to us.

Those words also reached my heart which is a Japanese across time and the sea.

possible
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/

P.S.
    I share to you the music of the animated film "The Dog of Flanders" which the Japanese made.
    This music is sung the feelings of the lady who became an adult, after losing the man who loves through death.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=njABaCu0HMQ

Lyrics

I'm awakened without reason
    it's that restless kind of season
    I hear the thunder, I hear the raindrops
    then I see rainbows, a rainbow of you
    I can remember, just like that summer
    the summer when I found a friend in you

When I cry, I call out your name
    I can recall all of our childhood
    Like a dream that will never die, love
    I've taken my sorrow, and you bring me to the light When I cry, I call out your name
    Just touch me with heaven, at my doorstep
    to remind me that I won't be alone
    Forever is kinder if its you who will remind me
    That our love, no it will not die
    Show your face to me my love
    you are this darkness, let me know you're home You're my prayer when its night time
    You give strength to my life line
    Are you an angel, with all of your wonders?
    A star that is shining within the sky?
    Can you still see me, becoming a woman?
    Can you believe its been such a long time?
    when I cry, I call out your name
    the echoes of strangers sound familiar
    as if it were you I keep hearing
    I don't want to follow, if its here I belong
    but it's true, that I miss your smile I'll carry your memory throughout my lifetime
    though the winters and through the summertime
    I wipe away tear drops, cause I'm stronger than I know
    when I cry, no, it won't be the same
    The laughter of friends, my palm in your hand
    this what life seems to be telling me, I need to see

When I cry, I can be set free
    like journeys of rivers to the ocean
    it's like were together for always
    there is no denying, I found courage in knowing your love
    And I see, you will always be
    the sweetest love I have known.
    The sweetest friendship
    You've made me strong.

• mouthy
    mouthy

OH Possible-san Thank you Thank you Thank you it was so beautiful ,,,,It was really something I will keep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit