Scams that relate to your phone, and phone bill. GOOD TO KNOW!

by free2beme 11 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I work for the phone company ... here are scams related to that, that people fall for a ton!!!

The prison scam

"You accept a collect call from someone who says it was a mistake reaching you, but it was their only call. They give you a hardship story, working on your good nature. Tell you they really need to reach someone and ask you to call them and give them a message. They tell you the number is unique, as it is an office or secure location, that the person they want you to call, is located. The number is something like *727025551414. You tell them, okay and hang up and dial the number. Someone answers and tells you the number you called was wrong. You think nothing of it and then a few minutes later your phone rings once and stops and you think, 'That was odd.' It happens more times and you wonder what is up. This is what is up.

A person in a prison scammed you. *72 is the sequence to forward your calls. They had you forward your number to a phone booth. That person at the phone booth is taking your calls and accepting the collect calls from the prison or jail. Cost you a lot of money.

How often does this happen? I take 100-120 calls a day, I see it happen at least 2-3 times per day with just the people I talk too. Now take that a times it by the thousands of others online. Yep, people are that gullable! You would hit *73 to shut down the forwarding by the way. In case this happens to you and all phone companies will normally reverse the charges, if this happens. Only once though and it will cause headaches. As the prison correctional company will most likely send you a collections notice for a while and you will get collection agency calls. Your SSN is not attached though, so do not worry about your Beacon score. Being an idiot, comes with a price.

The third party biller scam

ILD, ESBI, USBI, The Billing Resource Company, ... ever see these on your phone bill? If so, they are from what is called "Third Party Billers." Basically in 1996 the Telecommunications Act passed regulations of phone companies, that told them they had to allow third party charges to appear on their billing. Why? Because it allowed people a choice to have who ever they wanted for long distance and not have to do seperated billing. It also opened up the scam of third party billing, which really took off with the internet.

How do they happen? Ever see a really cool online test, survey or fun little game. That just asked a couple simple questions; like your name and phone number. You do that and they take your number and bill it to your account. Best part (In case anyone wants to make another person's life hell), they do not even confirm if the name matches the phone account. Meaning, you could put your neighbors number in on every one of these and make their next bill a living hell of messes. Other ways they come on; viruses, spyware, and even through subscriptions to magazines and even local business. Most if not all, will have names of products that sound real, but there is no product. For example, you see "SuperVoicemail" as a title in one. You think 'I want to use that and call to see how it works.' You call and ask for instructions and they are all "Humm, well... we're having technical issues." Yeah, more like "It does not exist, this is a scam on you."

These companies make millions each year, maybe even on you. Why? Because most people, NEVER READ THE DETAIL OF THEIR BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that is the case, your an idiot. I have seen people pay for these scam products for years or several months and not even know it. They think "The phone company will look after me, no worries!" Yet be ignorant to what congress did to the phone companies in 1996. Which ties their hands.

What can you do? In some states, like Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, North Carolina, and a few others. Your state government requires that the phone companies send back these charges if you say they are not something you approved ... ON YOUR FIRST CONTACT with the phone company. Also, ask your phone company to put a THIRD PARTY BILLING BLOCK on your account. It is free, and it prevents this crap billing. Calling these companies to get credit, can help. Most have customer service in the Carribean, especially Trinidad for some reason. Some just have recorded messages that say they will call you back, and never do. Either way, they can make your life HELL HELL HELL. You get mad and turn off your phone saying "I am not going to pay this crap!" You don't and one day your applying for a house and you get turned down, why? Because that crap got turned over to collections. Oh the joy of third party billing. Bet people here, at least some. Have experienced it.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

after having discovered charges from MQube on my AT&T bill, I called to find out what it was, apparently, they said I had signed up for something.

I did not.

Anyway they credited me the amout of 19.99, back to my account.

Then I went on a website and found out thousands of people are being scammed by this company..whoever they are.

http://classactionconnect.com/cell_phone_issues/2007/08/30/m-qube-complaints/

so check your cell phones bill each month for strange add ons.

lisa

• ninja
    ninja

there's phone scammers working round my area....they're called british telecom

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks for the heads up.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I am one of those that check out every phone number/billing/charges...I do that with my cable and my electric also. I don't have money to throw out the window...not even a few bucks. Though again, I also don't provide much information on the net or on the phone unless I'm sure... (100%) sure they are up and up. Internet scares me when it comes to those things.

Another scam that's been going on is with Child Support payments. When I had my cell phone I'd get text messages at least once a week saying that my support card had been canceled because of "suspicious" activity and I needed to call such and such number or go to such and such web site. Instead of doing either one of those, I called my local child support person and asked her if it was true and she told me right then that it was a scam and it was being looked into. Scammers...they deserve what they get when caught...if caught.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'm getting scammed right from my cell phone now , twice just recently I had someone call my cell phone claiming that I have won a trip to some exotic

location for 2 weeks and all I have to do to claim my prize is to press the number 1 on my keypad and they would make the appropriate arrangements...right

So be aware of that one if it should ever happen to you.

What has happened recently is crooks are taking advantage and are utilizing electronic technology to operate their illicit deeds of sorts and they are

unfortunately are succeeding at it.

There so many gullible people to take advantage of and sadly they know that.

• minimus
    minimus

I hang up on anyone that I don't know. I'm not a trusting soul.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

As Minja said , here in the UK the biggest scammers are B.T, British Gas, and all the Electric suppliers

• LDH
    LDH

I regularly review my phone bill, not a month goes by that we aren't billed 'third party' for some crap. The most recent one was for a company called "Agoura Hills Discount services" for $8.95 per month....I called them, and was very rude with them, as I don't give a shit about their 'feelings' and don't have the time to waste on their shit.....they told me I signed up for "discount email" I said, why the fuck would I pay for discount email when I have yahoo and gmail for free? DUHHhhhh

I ripped them a new one, then got their physical address in San Jose California, any body live near there and wanna have some fun?

• LDH
    LDH

By the way most recently have been getting INTERNATIONAL calls from numbers I don't recognize, I pick up because my daughter's in Japan and it could be her, only to hear some heavily accented Punjabi calling himself "Sean Taylor" <yeah right> asking me if I want information on "free government grants." The first time I was polite.

Not anymore. That's all I'll say about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit