Were you atheist/agnostic BEFORE you came here?

by gumby 44 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Something has puzzeled me for a long time since I came to this board. First I would like to say I'm not judging any in what I'm about to say as we all are at different places in our lives and I respect that.
    Here it is: At what point in your life did you no longer believe in God or believe the bible?
    How many came to this conclution AFTER coming to this db?
    My reason for asking is i'm bothered that if my family (wife,married daughter,sisters,aunts,and all my old freinds)ever leave the borg.....will they too not believe anymore? I never thought about it till coming here and seeing all the ones who throw God or the bible out the window?

• Prisca
    Prisca

I still believe in God, as in a Creator, Greater Spirit, Higher Power. I doubt I could ever become an atheist.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy gumyby,

Good question. I was an extremely angry jw - but still a jw who wasn't going to be pushed off my fence in either direction. I was delighted to find a place just to have time to think & chat......and learn to discuss/argue.

As for the belief in God & the Bible - that ALL hinged on belief in the WTBTS - for who taught us most/all that we knew? So, it was necessary to relearn, rethink about politics, science, sex, love, beliefs.

All that kept her from being an atheist was her skepticism.

I'm an agnostic, I think.

waiting

• gumby
    gumby

Prisca:Thanks..your a sweetie
    Waiting: Thanks to you too but.... You didn't answer the question

• COMF
    COMF

Conversation is the catalyst for thought, hopefully. And as the bible says, "in the multitude of counselors there is wisdom." In a public forum you have an opportunity to see many different viewpoints presented, and you can weigh the relative merits of each and draw your own conclusions.

Yes, I was an agnostic before I came here. But when I first found H2O (the forum I frequented before this one) I was not only still a believer, I still thought JWs were the one true religion (even though I had disassociated).

COMF

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Gumby,

Thanks for asking. I had atheist tendencies that I fought for 28 years as a JW.

Your question is a little skewed and I can't answer it the way it is.

In a better form for me would be: did this board influence you to become an atheist?

Answer: No. My decision to become an atheist was my reading of books by Richard Dawkins, Jared Diamond, books on mythology and history, and books on atheism and the bible.

I found the board right after I started my independent reading program.

Actually, it was the Disney movie, "Dinasours" that started my investigative journey which has led in all sorts of directions. This board is just one of them.

So, my answer is the board did not influence me to be an atheist.

Cheers!
    Pat

• mommy
    mommy

Gumby,
    I left the Jw's 9 years ago, and remained a very active christian during this time. This past year after speaking to many people I would never have spoken to in any of the circles I travel, my mind was opened to many new possibilities. I had two choices, either stay in my little world and not explore other options, or explore this new world and try to understand why others had the beliefs they had.

I am not happy with you saying that those who do not believe in god are throwing him out the window. I think that demeans the act of logical thinking and the research I have put into this. I no longer believe in god, not because it is an easier road, I actually think it is much harder to not have a "reward" at the end of the tunnel. I no longer believe in god because I refuse to accept the god of the bible for who he/she claims to be. After learning even more about the evolutionary process, the concept is no loner tangible to me, I never had a problem with the lifestyle.

One thing I have a problem with is people who refuse to be honest with themselves and admit that belief in god is not an obligation of the human race. And those that are closeminded enough to think that if you don't believe in god there is something morally wrong with you.

Pssstt, it is okay not to believe in god. It is okay to talk to others who do not share your beliefs and still remain on friendly terms with them, and to hold your own beliefs. I think the benefits of your family getting out of the org, and the friendships they may find here, are well worth you sharing this site with them. Also honestly ask yourself how much different it would be if they no longer believe in god. There may be some things you won't share anymore, such as prayer, and religious worship, but I doubt their actual personalities will change at all. Are you thinking that when a person realizes that the concept of god is not for them, then they are not worthy of your love? Perhaps you feel that moral character and the belief in god is intertwined?
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• gumby
    gumby

Patio34:Your question is a little skewed and I can't answer it the way it is.

In a better form for me would be: did this board influence you to become an atheist?

Thanks for the correction...perhaps this should have been my question but hopefully my point will be made.

• COMF
    COMF

hopefully my point will be made.

You had a point to make? I thought you were "puzzled" and were not judging, but just asking a question.

COMF

• moman
    moman

Wendy,what you said iz almost exactly the way I feel, so ditto.
    -fastone-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit