Questions about A.H. Macmillan

by Junction-Guy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Wow, I was just reading the online section of my old hometown newspaper. They have a section about famous and contoversial people who are either from that town or who visited it.

There were several people mentioned in that column that were ministers and that the town hosted the National conference of Free Will Baptists back in 1941.

But half way down the article it mentioned Alexander Hugh Macmillan and that he gave a talk at the local theater in 1923. It mentioned his involvement with the Bible Students. I was surprised because his name and also the JW's were mentioned alot in that article.

My knowledge of him is sketchy, so what do you know about him? Did he remain a JW until his death?

The article was quite detailed, but something tells me there is more to this man, than what was stated.

I find it odd that he chose to come speak at that town back in the 1920's, why? I wonder if my great grandfather was responsible for inviting him there? I will have to ask my grandma and see if she knows any details.

Seeing this article was the biggest shock, as I just never expected to see it in that paper. I am also shocked that I was not aware of this piece of history of my hometown.

• sir82
    sir82

Google is your friend.

A.H. McMillan was one of the 7 other guys thrown into prison in 1918 with Rutherford. He was a Bethel big shot until his death some time in the 60's. He wrote the JW apologetic "Faith on the March" in the 1950's, a whitewashed history of the JWs (sort of a pre-"Proclaimers" book). You can always tell which one McMillan is in the photos of the "Rutherford 8" - he's always the one in the bow tie.

I'm sure lots of other posters will fill in more details.

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.quotedstatements.com/FOTM.htm

Google and garlic are our friends.

Sylvia

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks, I knew a little about him, but nearly as much as with Russell and Rutherford. For some reason I thought that McMillan had turned apostate. So any juicy tidbits about him that I could share with the local paper?

• sir82
    sir82

He was pretty bland, as far as I can see.

It turns out "Faith on the March" is available online here: http://www.e-cepher.com/books/fotm/

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Without reading the whole book, I wonder if he mentioned in the book about his visit to my hometown? Does anyone here who has read it remember him saying anything about visiting in Kentucky?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I read his book many years ago, but I don't remember anything about it other than being "encouraged" by it. That's probably because I was a die hard JW at the time. I don't think I could stomach reading it now.

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Judging by the date, my guess on the reason why he came to talk in your town is that he was promoting the "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" claim with respect to 1925. Quite a few of the Bethel bigshots -- Rutherford, Van Amburgh, Franz, etc. -- went on tours across the country with these talks and they all got heavy newspaper coverage. Van Amburgh even created his own collage of newspaper articles about his talks, with headlines like "Van Amburgh Says Dead Will Rise in Four Years" and "Predicts Boise Residents Will Know Abraham".

• booby
    booby

from faith on the march "A scholar from his youth, Franz is a keen student of the Bible. Born in Covington, Kentucky, in 1893". Could that be why he was in Kentucky.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I always thought there was an interesting back study to AH mac. I always found it interesting that he wrote an 'autobiography.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit