Did you SAVE money by using a hotel on the recommended lodging list?

by truthseeker 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Gram
    Gram

I was a young single sister travelling alone, by bus, no car to the San Francisco DA back in the late 60's. I had flown into Sacramento from the East Coast to visit relatives, then they put me on a bus to San Francisco. The Society had made my reservations at the Civic Center Hotel -- no longer there. No elevator, air, etc.etc. BUT the worst part of it was a shared bathroom down the hall with all the other guests. The neighborhood looked very unsafe to me -- around the Civic Center and on Market Street. I returned to the check-in desk and promptly checked out. I hauled my suitcases down Market until I came to the Cable Car which took me up to the Sir Francis Drake. Fortunately, they had a room, not much more expensive than the other one and just 2 blocks to where the bus picked you up to take you to the assembly...also a much safer place to stay. I often wondered if they took into consideration on my rooming request form that I was female, age 19 and travelling alone. It never made sense to me.

• bobld
    bobld

I agree 100% with Quotes.It has nothing to do with the R&F saving money.As I have posted before the WT does it only for the money.I was told that the convention organizers will go the the brothers that they can trust and tell them to make the payment direct to watchtower convention.And not to the hotel because they have a certain number of room for free because the have reserved so many rooms.So the hotel in sences have given the WT a number of rooms to do whatever, thus the money making scheme.It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bob

PS:The brothers who are selected to make the payments to WT are only for the free rooms that the WT is alocated for that hotel.Also they say to the brother that he would be paying for the room anyways so it does not matter to the brother because he would be spending that money in any case.The only thing I am not sure if they issue him a tax receipt as a donation for which he could benefit for tax purposes.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Thanks for the clarification, bobld. I thought that they were using a loophole somewhere to get paid.

Sounds exactly what the watchtower would do.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

this mentality also leakes to the "friends"

a couple of years ago relative witnesses of mine were invited to a group cruise. well, about 40-50 witnesses signed up. (I would never want to be on vacation with witnesses, so I declined).

after this cruise was over, a friend of mine told me the organizers (witness family) got free tickets because they got enough people in their "group".

never checked my family's price, but for the sheer principle..... I would detest these!

• minimus
    minimus

Personally, I was obedient and trusted that it was what we were supposed to do so I never checked.

So, my guess is I was very much *ucked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit