Why isn't disfellowshipping a breach of contract?

by DT 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DT
    DT

Freedom of religion is one thing - but separating the criminals into groups for the purpose of punishing one and not the other because of a color, a gender, age or a baptism, is clearly prejudicial and I'm not sure how that can't be a major civil action on it's own. sammieswife.

That is a good point. I guess it would depend on whether baptism is viewed as a personal matter between the individual and God or as an agreement between the individual and an organisation. If it's a personal religious matter, then it would seem highly discriminatory to punish someone on that basis. The Watchtower society has added language to make it sound like it is a willing agreement to follow their rules, however, that's not how it is viewed by many witnesses. There are also people, like myself, who were baptised before the questions were changed. I viewed it as a kind of promise to serve God instead of men. The intent of baptism seems to be entirely inconsistent with the idea of subjecting yourself to a man made organisation.

The Watchtower Society seems to have a strong legal defense in their treatment of members, except when it comes to the time when the member has supposedly given up some of their freedoms and agreed to be subject to their disciplinary policies. There usually isn't enough disclosure to say this happens at baptism and it presents a special problem for minors. I hope the time comes when this will be challenged legally.

• mustang
    mustang
    Freedom of religion is one thing - but separating the criminals into groups for the purpose of punishing one and not the other because of a color, a gender, age or a baptism, is clearly prejudicial and I'm not sure how that can't be a major civil action on it's own. sammieswife.

I will respond to this gradually, in a couple of posts here. When I was on JWD daily, a few years ago, the subject of Baptism and particularly, UNDERAGE BAPTISM being not legally binding, came up roughly every 3 or 4 months. I have started to "can" the responses to that rather than reinvent the wheel each time.

ALL OF THE ABOVE is basically covered by the "Secular Law versus the Church Law shield" discussion. I have read this from Federal and Supreme Court cases [and decisions] that are thereby precedents and some few "Lawyers Letters" written for the WTS by Brumbley et al.

Ecclesiastical Abstention AND Freedom of Religion are the answers for this and are so well established that new cases frequently will not advance. It covers Baptism, DF'ing, DA'ing [shunning if you like] and other such treatment that would ordinarily be considered discriminatory.

If you "signed the articles" [alluding to old fashioned signing on to a sailing ship as a crew member] you have waived those rights that you may have had and traded them in for the Church Law.

Church Law is NOT interpreted by the Secular Courts. The Secular Courts allow the Church to do as they please, if they do not violate Civil and Secular Laws. That includes having their own Courts [Religious Tribunals, Judicial Committees, hearings under other names in various denominations] and even an Appeals process. And again, if you "exhaust those remedies" you have no recourse to Secular Law.

This is Ecclesiastical Abstention [EA for brevity] in a nutshell. And failing EA, the Secular Courts will consider Freedom of Religion. Your problem becomes a "he said, she said" case [which in this case does not care how many witnesses or corroborating statements are available] that has no STANDING or place in the Secular VENUE.

Contrasting the SECULAR VENUE versus the CHURCH LAW VENUE highlights the issue of Jurisdiction: the Secular Court doesn't have to deal with this and doesn't want to.

STANDING means your right or ability to speak or be allowed to speak on a matter. Basically the Judge of a Secular Court will tell you he has no place dealing with HOW YOU WORSHIP: that is between you, your Spiritual Leader(s) and God. [I'm outta here, raps gavel, fade to black]

Now, I was addressing [or starting to address] DT on the matter of DISCLOSURE. And yes, there is a massive problem with Disclosure here. But the Church cannot be brought to bear in this matter due to EA and Freedom of Religion, i.e. the Church Law shield is in place.

Disclosure [actually Failure to Disclose] is a major tool of the WTS: by the time you understand your Legal position, you have already compromised yourself.

Courts generally will go with the old saw "ignorance is no defense"; however this has been overcome at times. But the Church Law shield is strong enough to prevent that in this instance.

I believe that the "100 questions" was a move by WTS Legal to tighten any possible penetration of the Church Law shield. That closes the loophole that "you didn't try to screen [or inform] your converts or adherents". This is now a matter of record ["everybody" knows Fred is doing his "Oral Examinations" for Baptism] in the congregation. It ultimately leads to the "dunking" ceremony, which everybody is free to witness and the recording of the Baptism in Congregation Records.

The "100 questions" becomes Due Diligence in preventing any claim of Failure to Disclose. There becomes a trail of training which can conceivably disqualify a potential member.

Does this mean that I think the Church Law shield is impenetrable? No, but it is extremely strong. As it stands, a Church has to do gross Legal wrongs to cross the boundary. I am looking at a promising case that might indicate some openings have been made in their proverbial armor. I will not comment on that prematurely.

Personally, I never stood for the "100 questions"; I left the WTS BEFORE the 1980's changes in Baptismal Vows. Technically, it could be said that I am not a JW :)

That leads to the Ratification discussion, which I will do later.

[I am prepared to discuss the 1918 Sedition Act and the 1917 Espionage Act in regard to SSS (Selective Service System) issues, for instance; I am currently reviewing that at the request of a government official. Forty years ago, I fought two Federal appeals on this, Pro Se, as my own counsel: I prevailed.

I also have been arrested three times while in Field Service: the third time threatened to go to Court. A Lawyers Letter from Brooklyn nipped that in the bud.

I jokingly mentioned "human sacrifice" earlier, but that is not unheard of, historically speaking.]

Does the WTS think they have a problem or chink in the armor at the Church Law shield? I doubt it: they have had so many wins that usually today a "Lawyers Letter" responding to your "Lawyers Letter" brings things to a screeching halt. Your Lawyer shrugs and says that it is pointless to proceed. [Game, set, match.]

WTS Lawyers have this down to a science; they did this while you were asleep. They are about 90 years ahead of you before you put your running shoes on.

But they do not necessarily sit on their laurels. They are dealing with ongoing matters and seem to stop and consider the future. That to me is evident when looking at the Baptismal Vows and "100 questions". They are refining their technique to stay ahead of you and ahead of the game.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in favor of WTS, nor am I a JW apologist: I am explaining how their Legal strategy works and/or has been interpreted. Nothing that I say is intended or can be used as Legal advice. Seek proper Legal counsel for further details or visit your local Law Library.

Mustang

• DT
    DT

Mustang,

Thanks for your intelligent review of the applicable laws. I have a question, in case you or anyone else wants to comment. What if someone starts a lawsuit based on freedom of religion? It could be claimed that their punishments are so severe that it interferes with a person's right to freely resign or join another religion. I wonder how the courts would handle that. It would appear that they would be trampling on freedom of religion if they refused to hear the case. How can it be said that we have freedom of religion if we can't sue in an effort to protect it? It seems that there has to be a point when the courts would be justified in interfering if people's basic human rights are being violated.

• mustang
    mustang

Here are some Federal references to EA:

I have trouble getting large jpg's on the files, so here is a partial quote (using the famous ellipsis from WT fame):

"...on the ground of ecclesiastical abstention. See generally Serbian Eastern Orthodox Diocese v. Milivojevich, 426 U.S. 696, 96 S.Ct. 2372, 49 L.Ed.2d 151 (1976)."

Mustang

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

"Quote: Most Jehovah's Witnesses think their baptism represents some kind of lifelong dedication to God. It's really a contract with a publishing company." Indeed, people join a religion because they are attempting to satisfy a spiritual longing. When I got baptised, my reason was so that I could have the free gift of Holy Spirit. It was to deepen my relationship with my Creator, the Christ. First and foremost, my loyalty rests with my Spirit. If the religion fails me, I am free to leave, to pursue my spiritual longing elsewhere. I have found the jehovah witnesses to be a publishing company and not a link to God or spirituality by any stretch of the imagination. I am glad to be disfellowshipped because I don't belong in a book publishing company. I belong to Christ. If anything the jehovahs broke their contract with ME! Cheers, ESTEE

• mustang
    mustang

OK, DT: I applaud your

U may be getting there!!!

First, read the Paul Decision from the last post I just made. That uses Freedom of Religion to reinforce EA.

This gets to a thought that I have had: eLDER's are told to ascertain whether an individual still claims to be a JW. What if you felt that you were and disagreed all the way past DF'ing?

If you STILL CLAIMED TO BE A JW AFTER DF'ing, a Secular Court could not find FOR OR AGAINST YOU!!!

Using JW's own precedent cases, you could argue that the WTS Motions were not admissable, based on YOUR Freedom of Religion. Likewise, what if you went to the trouble of starting your own Religion? This is all in the realm of Church Law and is in "God's hands", per any number of precedents.

You and I know that God hasn't made an appearance in Court for thousands of years; so it is up to us humans to take the ball and run with it. You and I can do it just as well as the next religious hypocrite. Personally, I'm working on the Church of the Ancient Astronauts. I believe a pub would be the ideal location, as sacraments are quite handy.

BTW, notice that JW's aren't the only ones having had these spats: Serbian Orthodox, Hutterites, Lutherans, Catholics (RCC) come to mind in the cases that I have seen.

Your question, my question: they both head for unknown territory. I don't think this has been done

To that end, please read my Disclaimer: TWICE

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in favor of WTS, nor am I a JW apologist: I am explaining how their Legal strategy works and/or has been interpreted. Nothing that I say is intended or can be used as Legal advice. Seek proper Legal counsel for further details or visit your local Law Library.

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

In the end, I will agree with ESTEE.

This is exhausting; I am taking a break for some "sacraments". I will post on tieing in the Ratification to Baptism, but it will likely be tomorrow

Mustang

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Mustang,

Thanks for your intelligent review of the applicable laws. I have a question, in case you or anyone else wants to comment. What if someone starts a lawsuit based on freedom of religion? It could be claimed that their punishments are so severe that it interferes with a person's right to freely resign or join another religion. I wonder how the courts would handle that. It would appear that they would be trampling on freedom of religion if they refused to hear the case. How can it be said that we have freedom of religion if we can't sue in an effort to protect it? It seems that there has to be a point when the courts would be justified in interfering if people's basic human rights are being violated.

That is what I also wonder..and thank you Mustang for your explanation. I also have an issue with the freedom of religion since it is one way - but I do believe that the WTS is not made of solid stone. They continue to make changes as they quick step to changing times and new laws in our society..they must in order to survive. If I go before a judge and claim discrimination from a religion based on my color - do you think I would win? If the WTS were refusing to allow me to practice religion because of my race, do you think I would win? I am only asking because at some point the society will have to face either public humiliation from exposed prejudice or a legal system protecting the rights of people in the country. I think in many ways people are tired of the laws of the Church protecting the wrong people and we are seeing that in more cases where taxes or pedophilia are involved..or now where the lines between employee vs volunteer for life are involved with pensions and medical care...and people now, as opposed to days gone by, are not as willing to sit back and believe for the sake of believing. For a growing number of people, religion means less and thus the power a religion or a cult has over their members, is a moot point in efforts to protect others. sammieswife.

• mustang
    mustang
    Using JW's own precedent cases, you could argue that the WTS Motions were not admissable, based on YOUR Freedom of Religion.

I hasten to add that EA is the more powerful argument to exclude the Secular Court from entering a Religious squabble. In fact, the Secular Courts LOVE TO INVOKE EA TO STAY OUT OF RELIGIOUS SQUABBLES

EA is a SWORD THAT CUTS BOTH WAYS.

This needs to be considered in DT's ?, Sammie's last ? and my ?. WTS is likely to get burned by their own device, one of these days: How do you say 'hoist on your own petard'?

I suspect that the Secular Court would run for cover on these issues and leave the opposing parties hanging.

I've been waiting a long time to make this point

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

OK: a short break, large bunch of grapes and a small brandy

This is a quote on the Ratification theme:

And I hit Submit instead of Paste

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit