a forum question

by Helen 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Helen
    Helen

now don't get mad or even upset with me and make me feel bad for asking..but how come you do not use your name? I know you want to be "unknown or incognito" but will someone really know its you if you are Debbie from Texas? or Mary from Ohio? or June from Idaho? like there is only one June in Idaho? Just curious...I was going by OTHG but decided to use my name, and nothing bad has happened to me yet..

• nelly136
    nelly136

donnt know about anyone else but I
    fancied a change:-)
    nelly

• Helen
    Helen

from? to?

• nelly136
    nelly136

if you click on the thingy that looks like a postcard next to the envelope you can look at members profiles, I always put my real name on mine, nothing bads happened to me yet either :-)
    nelly

• Simon
    Simon

I think you're right Helen - no one will really know if you use your real name BUT if you have your email address visible as well theis could identify you.
    Some people may wish to remain anonymous while they begin asking questions or getting advice and opinions and it's important that they can do this.
    I show my real name and Email address and nothing bad has happened to me either.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Helen,

I don't use my real name - I came onto this forum, posting for the very first time on the web. I think the jist of the post was "hello."

Thankfully, Frenchy and Seven were nice to me. I'd probably have gone away and never come back. I was new - can you tell? I was a fence-sitter within the WTBTS for a long time. I just wanted to read, think, and chat. I didn't want to leave the org. at that time - and I didn't want to be pushed either to stay or leave.

Therefore, with the paranoia that jw's are infamous for exihibiting - I chose a nickname. I was just "waiting" to see what would happen with the WTBTS and me. Well, still waitin' around on the web.

However, some of us have friends and foes who use the web and who know us personally. In reality, they could - and would - report us to the local elders to "keep the congregation clean" and all that.
    That would mean losing what remains of our family if they're jw's - and why go through that pain sooner than necessary?

Some of us are hoping that the WTBTS will have another bolt of New Light and soften the df'ing & da'ing before our turn comes. But after the assembly this time around - that seems doubtful. The CO in our area - in direct contrast to the Official WTBTS website doctrine - verbally encouraged, even demanded, that there be no association with df'd family members. Of course, this was verbal - so it can't be proven, and outsiders will be shown the official WTBTS website to prove that shunning doesn't break family ties.

waiting

• larc
    larc

Helen, when I first came out, my thoughts were the same as Waiting's. I did everything I could to keep family peace. Now, I really don't care, and you can find my name on the thingy next to my handle, so why do I use LARC instead of Carl, because I like to keep it light hearted most of the time and Larc denotes this.

Q; does this count as field service and if it does do I multiply the time to write a post times the number of people who read it.??

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Initially, I was a little nervous posting on this forum because I have been inactive for some time. I was really afraid that I would be booted...so I used my favorite pseudonym. You KNOW I like this nickname, silly.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Red,

I was really afraid that I would be booted.

Not after telling us all that you had a nifty plastic mounting block.
    We were fascinated.....

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Now, waiting, you know that I didn't just come right out and start talking about my mounting block. First, I made sure that everyone was on the same wavelength as I....THEN I told you about my mounting block. Don't want "pearls before swine" you know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit