A Question About The Kingdom Interlinear Translation

by FireNBandits 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

I no longer have my 1969 edition KIT (or 1985 for that matter), but I'm very curious as to how the literal English sublinear beneath the Westcott and Hort Greek Text translates the words "aion" and "aionios." The NWT usually idiotically translates as "system of things" when in actuality "aion" means "eon" or "age" and "aionios" means everlasting, eternal, and according to some translations such as Young's Literal and the Concordant Version "age lasting" and "eonian."

Here are some verses to look up to let me know how the KIT translates the above Koine Greek terms: Matthew 13:39,40,49,28:20

Thanks very much!

Martin

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

It's translated "age" in all cases in the literal translation and "system of things" in the text on the right.

• wobble
    wobble

Doesn't that sort of thing,and I know there are many many other examples,prove that the NWT is a PARAPHRASE not a translation?

"Age" and "system of things" are VERY different.

So to market it here in the UK,under the Trades Description Act,they should entitle it "The New World Paraphrase" version,or more acurately "JW's Wacky Interpretation Version" [subtitled] " with selected additions(to prove our weird theology) to the original texts"

Love

wobble

• Mary
    Mary

Here's the actual scan of it:

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It always felt awkward using the NWT when out in field service because of the peculiar expressions that it used. "System of things" being one of the NWT's strange phrases. Hebrews 1:2 is especially awkward as the NWT renders it: "has at the end of these days spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the systems of things."

The New Jerusalem Bible translates the same verse using wording that easier understand: "in our time, the final days, he has spoken to us in the person of his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things and through whom he made the ages."

I never could understand why Freddy Franz used "system of things" in place of "age" or "era." I guess because its a phrase unique to the JWs.

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Thanks Mary for the actual photographic evidence! Your kind work is very much appreciated. Thank you everyone else too. No wonder the Watertower Bottle and Trap Society dumped the KIT! On the left is the Koine Greek with a fairly accurate English sublinear, and on the right is the New World Abomination. For any JW reading this, get a copy of the 1969 KIT and use it, and you'll see why the Tower Boys dumped it. It exposes the NWT for the sack of ship it is.

Saint Martin the Grateful

• oompa
    oompa

could we get a list of some more of these wacky "paraphrases?"............oompa

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Athanasius, they hide the word "aion" and "aionios" behind the ridiculous words "system of things" for very sinister reason. System of things would be a good, albeit clumsy, translation of "kosmos" which does mean "system" but "aion" and "aionios" are time-related words, and are in fact a Key to resolving the conflict between two camps: One one side, those who believe in either the annihilation or eternal torment of unbelievers, and on the other side those who see that the NT--especially but not exclusively Paul--teaches Universal Reconciliation. If you'd like to pursue this further, I recommend this online book and the website associated with it:

http://www.concordant.org/expohtml/TheProblemOfEvil/index.html

http://www.concordant.org/version/index.html

http://www.concordant.org/

Saint Martin the Superbly Relaxed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit