Sexual Molestation Case in Australian Media

by Dark Knight 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Dark Knight
  • fokyc
    fokyc

Jehovah's Witness jailed for molesting boys

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/jehovahs-witness-jailed-for-molesting-boys/2008/11/27/1227491709541.html

"Souter was expelled from the congregation before being readmitted after he apologised to church elders."

It doesn't mention any apology to the boys he molested.

Probably be made an elder when he gets out.

fokyc

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Judge blasts church over sex offences
    Illawarra Mercury/ August 5, 2000
    By Michelle Tydd

A Wollongong judge yesterday launched a scathing attack on the Jehovah's Witness congregation at Balgownie, accusing elders of failing to report child sex abuse.

Judge John Goldring in Wollongong District Court said he was surprised police had not taken action against the congregation.

``And I wished they had,'' the angry judge said.

The attack came as he sentenced Robert Leslie Souter to five years' jail for sexual assaults on two teenage boys 20 years ago.

Judge Goldring said congregation elders were told of the sexual assaults by Souter in 1990 and he was ``disfellowshipped'' or excommunicated five years later without any further action.

``The moral punishment imposed by a church is not punishment demanded by law,'' Judge Goldring said.

``I cannot criticise the church sufficiently enough ... it's well known in these courts that churches are criticised for failing to report criminal activity.''

``The church may have spiritual responsibility but it does not exceed the authority of the state,'' Judge Goldring said.

The congregation that met in Balgownie was known as the Corrimal congregation. It has since moved to Fairy Meadow.

Souter, 46, pleaded guilty to one count of buggery and four counts of indecent assault.

The court was told the offences took place when Souter and the two victims were members of the congregation at Balgownie. From 1978 to 1980 Souter committed at least five offences, four of which were committed on one victim.

The court heard Souter became known to the boys' families and earned their trust.

Souter committed the sex acts during outings to the beach and to the Blue Mountains.

Solicitor for the Crown Ines Chiumento said it had been a major violation of trust.

Souter's barrister Terry McGill, who defended the congregation saying it took great pains to care for its flock, told the court his client had suffered remorse since the offences.

He said Souter's marriage had broken up and he now lived in another state.

Judge Goldring said he reduced the jail sentence taking into account Souter had been a sex abuse victim. He imposed a non-parole period of three years.

Presiding elder in the Corrimal congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Roger Graham, said he could not comment about practices 20 years ago.

However, he said the approach the congregation took today was to speak to victims and offer them support and encouragement to come forward.

``If they choose to take legal action, we give them all the support they need,'' Mr Graham said.

``It is not up to the church to take that action without victim approval because it is they who have to face the interrogation and stress of the matter.''

http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw42.html

• Gregor
    Gregor

The congregation has now moved to Fairy Meadow? perfect.

• flipper
    flipper

DARK KNIGHT- Check this last quote out by the WT society representative. " It is not up to the church to take that action ( go to the authorities ) without the victim's approval because it is they who have to face the interrogation and stress of the matter . "

Translation : " We the WT society will bury our heads in the sand and not deal with the criminality of the pedophile , and because of our " inaction " to get him prosecuted , more stress will come on the victim because the child abuser will still be here in our midst ! "

The WT society is extremely liable when they fail to report these offenses to police authorities ! It's endangering the children further ! They'll never change their policies

• brinjen
    brinjen

Flipper, the link I posted isn't the same as Dark Knight's. It's from 8 years ago whereas Dark Knight's is from yesterday. There both about the same man, both mention his disfellowshipping and they're about two different jail sentences for pedophilia. Yet, he was only disfellowshipped once it would seem.

• flipper
    flipper

BRINJEN- Thanks for the clarification. So then it makes the elders doubly responsible that they let this pond scum seep through the cracks among their children ! Disgusting. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

"The guilt of the parents for allowing a fellow member of their church to defile their sons is palpable."

I thought that was a really interesting quote from the judge.

But what I want to know is in what way were the parents negligent? What were the signs that there sons were being abused. Did they suspect and do nothing?

• penny2
    penny2
    But what I want to know is in what way were the parents negligent?

"Palpable" means "readily perceived, obvious" (that's one meaning, according to my dictionary).

So another way of saying this would be, "The guilt of the parents....is readily perceived." I imagine it was obvious in the court, that the parents felt guilty.

The "Sunday" programme "Silent Witnesses" of 22 Sep 2002 gave a lot more details about this case. One of the brothers was 12 years old when he was first molested in the KH. He kept this secret until he found out that his younger brother had also been abused. The parents went to the elders and the abuser was disfellowshipped for 6 months. The parents were apparently told not to go to the police. Whether they were told that or not, the facts are that they (the parents) didn't go to the police.

The transcript of the Sunday programme says:

"Years went by as the family nursed its secret. Then finally Simon could cope no longer and went to the police."

Now if you were the parent, you might feel bad that it had been left up to the son to go to the police after years of mental trauma.

penny

• penny2
    penny2

I'll just clarify that the first encounter in the KH was only the start of the abuse.

penny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit