"we are so close to the end cause morals are worse than ever"....NOT!

by oompa 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

my JW-ex-wife told me this the other day...the one df'd three times and reproved twice that i know of (oh the irony of speaking of morals)...she was going on about evil movies and the violent cage boxing/wrestling events (sorry i forget the name of these).....well i went off!.....I asked her how can she say that when in jesus day and shortly after....the romans...IN REAL LIFE let huge animals devour humans as they tried to fight off the animals!.....and they watched REAL PEOPLE hack each other to bits withs swords!.....and that in LIVE PLAYS people would have sex and such.....and these were open public events.....not things in dark warehouses in third world countries......she just got mad............oompa

there was even "temple prostitutes" in the bible....now that could get me back to the meetings

• carla
    carla

Was there a talk about WWF or something? my jw had some comment about the commercials for wrestling and of course the show itself. Not a fan myself so I didn't pay much attention at the time.

Morals & society going to hell in a handbasket blah, blah, blah..... just shows jw ingorance where history is concerned. (well, I guess they would not use the hell phrase but you understand my meaning)

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I think that UFC has completely taken over wrestling as the violent sport mainly because it's *wink, wink* real.

If someone actually sits and does the research they'll realize that we are in a far less violent society than we ever had, we have more people alive right now and hence the numbers of murders are greater than some periods, however percentage wise we're FAR less than any other time in history.

I don't know when exactly these good old days were, as early as the 1800's they had duels and bear baiting. Next time someone tells me about the good old days and how things are worse I'm going to ask them compared to when. The 60's which were known for free love, and one hell of a speed epidemic. The 70's with Studio 54 and the beginnings of AIDS. The 1800's where crime rates in some towns were three times worse than current-day NYC, or people so unruly that the Mayor of NYC almost had to declar Marshall Law.

• oompa
    oompa

ya...the speaker was going off on how violent and brutal sports have become.....way worse than football and boxing....men brutalizing each other in cages (found it..Ultimate Fighting Championship...and MMA...mixed martial arts)....it is damm brutal, but no limbs have been hacked off, and no deaths.......oompa

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It's funny though how no one has died due to injuries received in UFC, however compare that to Football or Boxing.... something doesn't add up.

• carla
    carla

Most people I know who bemoan life compare the 50's to now. Anyone have a good site to compare crime/war/general mayhem from the 50's to now? including worldwide & US?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Damn Oompa! Your Ex-wife sounds crazier then my wife!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Ask her about the Temple prostitutes and Lot's daughters getting him drunk and having "relations" with him.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager
    or people so unruly that the Mayor of NYC almost had to declar Marshall Law.

Would Marshall Law involve Angus Young wailing out licks to restore law and order?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Most people I know who bemoan life compare the 50's to now. Anyone have a good site to compare crime/war/general mayhem from the 50's to now? including worldwide & US?

Well off the top of my head the 50's began with the Korean War. The Apartheid began in South Africa. McCarthy and his communist trials. The violence dolled to those who were attempting to gain Civil Rights. Cigarettes were regularly advertised on TV as being great. I don't think there's a definitive site, but I'm sure if you look around enough you'll find a bunch of stuff. Also bear in mind that the 50's were an age of propoghanda so alot of it was surpressed in order to make those soviets look bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit