A woman can run for 2nd in command of the free world but can't do the mikes

by Kudra 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kudra
    Kudra

...at the Kingdom Hall.

Yeah, a woman can run for the second highest position the world has to offer (I guess) but can't even give a talk that a 10-year old snotty-nosed kid can do at the f-n KH.

This used to annoy me NO END at the hall... there were these morons doing the bible reading or what have you and they couldn't even PRONOUNCE THE WORDS.

Fortunately, things my non-JW dad used to say, like, "I'll go to your Kingdom Hall when YOU can get up on stage and give a talk like those ..."brothers"" gave me a sense of self-worth that helped me escape. Seriously, how does this attitude that JWs have not drive away any thinking woman?? I know churches worldwide are like this but JWs are worse somehow... Maybe it's just because it was my own personal experience.

(Oh, by the way, I was thinking about Geraldine Ferraro not S.P. in the topic title)

;P

-Kudra

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I personally am very grateful to be ineligible for "privileges of service".

• shamus100
    shamus100

Kudra,

I guess you weren't one of those gals that put a towel on her head while giving a prayer.

• reniaa
    reniaa

You answered your own query, you consider Jws worse by virtue or personal experience knowing other religions follow this practise too. the bible is very clear on the role of men and women in congregations so that is were the ball started on this subject. 1 cor 11:3

3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
  • Kudra
    Kudra

Reniaa-

It is because of that scripture and others encouraging parents to beat their children, people to stone homosexuals, the fact that JC never took the opportunity to denounce slavery (well, even Gandhi didn't denounce the caste system), etc etc that I know that the bible is completely uninspired by any deity and is just a book that has happened to survive and influence peoples lives, oftentimes for the worse.

-K

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi Kudra!

That bothered me ALOT, too. Shortly after my dad got baptized he was appointed literature servant. My younger brother was allowed to help behind the counter but I was not. I was allowed to help with inventory count (done twice a year, i think). I helped my dad with business books and such but nothing with the literature counter.

In my early 30's, I was talking with a male friend that I had grown up with. He was applying for Bethel service (he finally made it and is still there) and we got to talking about various 'privileges'. I mentioned that it bothered me that I was fully competent to run a million-dollar business (dental practice) but the organization has almost no need or use for a single sister - no matter what her competancy. I mentioned literature counter assistant and he just howled with laughter. LOL Can you imagine a sister behind the literature counter??? LOL

I was insulted. and hurt. It was the beginning of the end of my friendship with this childhood friend.

At the very last DC I attended, I worked in the auditing department. Since I had done this for many years, the new brother-in-charge (an elder in my cong) asked me to help him understand how some processess and procedures were done. I assisted where asked. I also had brought my own printing calculator from work with my business card taped to it for identification purposes. My calculator was assigned to a pr*ck-assed MS who could not figure how to get a sub-total on the machine. Twice I offered to show him how to do it but he snottily dismissed me each time. The third time I caught him slamming on the keys and whining about a lack of sub-total I walked over, unplugged the machine, packed it in my bag and went home.

But?? How was he supposed to do his assignment?? Not my problem.

I had asked the elder-in-charge if he could maybe talk to the pr*ck but he said there was really nothing he could do. Some guys are just like that.

I was already losing faith in the org. This was one of the last straws that let me know they were heading down a wrong path.

Always good to hear other woman who have different stories about the same misogynistic society.

-Aude.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The church we belong to has women speaking from the stage (directly to the congregation not each other), praying, running ministries etc. Paul's admonition is that the church should be an orderly place, the problem he was addressing was everybody talking at once. Who is doing what is a lot less important.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Hey der Aude- good to see ya.

Yes- I really don't understand why the sisters couldn't do stuff that was totally unrelated to "teaching the congregation" (or whatever that scripture was) like being behind the magazine desk or any other secretarial or administrative positions- they weren't in any way teaching spiritual things- it was just the running of the business!!

But ya know, having a vagina sure is a good reason why we have no value for teaching spiritual stuff...

I wonder what that brother would think of you on a motorcycle!!? HE sounds like a "segue-way type" himself...

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

JeffT- yes, a friend of our officiates at a church nearby and when we go there we see women priests (? not sure what they are called) and stuff... I think many churches are going this way. People are starting to see that disallowing women in the priesthood is about as ridiculous as disallowing black people in the priesthood.

That damn "Paul". What a moron, more trouble than he was worth... ;)

• oompa
    oompa

aude and kudra...i love your stories and replies.......and thats all i have to say....about that..........oompa/gump

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit