by compound complex 15 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

EXCLUSIVE BRETHREN FORCE IDENTITY DISCLOSURE FROM ANONYMOUS WEB SITE OWNER

Burlington Vermont, USA
    February 20th, 2008

The religious sect known as the Exclusive Brethren has forced the owner of a web site used as a world-wide support network for ex-members to disclose his identity.

The wealthy and powerful sect, known for its controversial political and financial activities in several countries, its rigid control over its flock and its long-held practice of splitting families, has launched a lawsuit in the USA aimed at closing the web site, PEEBS.NET.

Because of the litigious nature of the Brethren, the PEEBS.NET domain name was created as an anonymous domain in California, USA in May 2004. However the Exclusive Brethren have attempted several times to find out who is behind the web site.

Last Friday, Tim Twinam, a UK citizen who has been living in Vermont, USA for 12 years, was forced to disclose that he is the owner and originator of the domain. This was part of a Discovery process initiated by the Exclusive Brethren Bible & Gospel Trust, based in the UK, but through their lawyers located in Washington, DC, USA. The Washington lawyers, FULBRIGHT & JAWORSKI, served a lawsuit upon PEEBS.NET and TIMOTHY JOHN TWINAM in January, 2007 (Case Ref: 2:07-cv-17) and Mr Twinam, unable to afford legal counsel, represented himself until forced to find legal assistance during December 2007.

"The law suit is flimsy at best", Mr Twinam said. "The Exclusive Brethren do not state that any infringement has occurred, only that it might!"

By claiming possible damages of US$75,000, the Exclusive Brethren were able to enter their claim into the Federal Court system and eventually compelled Mr Twinam to respond to their questions. Mr Twinam believes that the entire case is about disclosure.

"The Exclusive Brethren have been very anxious to discover who is behind the web site. Although they only recently allowed their members to use computers, they regard the web site as evil, and they openly harass those who participate."

Mr Twinam added that anonymity was the sole reason that the web site has survived for almost four years.

"They forced the closure of two previous web sites back in 2004 and they would really like to see PEEBS.NET go away as well."

Mr Twinam believes that the fact that the Exclusive Brethren now have his name will generate further legal action.

"They do seem to enjoy litigation", he said. "Now that they have a name means that they can bring their full financial muscles into play."

The Exclusive Brethren were described recently by Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as "an extremist sect and cult". Mr Twinam strongly agrees with this comment and said that a primary focus of the web site was to help cult members escape.

“We help to re-unite families broken apart by this cult and also assist those who need counselling or just simply someone to talk to."

The PEEBS.NET community has created a number of busy Forums with almost 45,000 entries. Within the Forums the Exclusive Brethren are discussed both openly in public areas and also in many private forums where personal stories are shared and members assist the search for lost family members.

"We believe the web site serves a vital function in our world-wide community" Mr Twinam said. "There are many stories of people who say they might not have survived had it not been for the ability to make contact with our community."

Mr Twinam added that the community has researched many suicides and other deaths over the years and that the web site is poised to publish these findings.

Mr Twinam is uncertain of what exactly will happen next, now that the Exclusive Brethren have his name. He lives with his wife Sallie in Jericho, a few miles outside Burlington, Vermont where he works as part of a Technical Support team for an Internet Design company.

For further information see http://peebs.net/

ENDS

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

oh my, things like that make me feel so tired. I hope the Federal Court will uphold free speech. If they don't it doesn't bode well for any website where people speak their minds against organizations with money to pay lawyers.

• horrible life
    horrible life
    Burlington Vermont, USA
    February 20th, 2008

You can bet the WT knew about this verdict, the day it happened.

Because of the litigious nature of the Brethren

Talk about litigious, the WT would probably put thse bretheren to shame!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Hortensia and Horrible Life, for replying.

I'm speechless at the moment - the horror of it all, especially how it has hit home for us vis-a-vis our link to the WT.

Shivers,

CoCo Convulsed

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for posting CoC, for two reasons. First, the obvious resemblance to the WTS fits the motif of this forum's discussion. Secondly, it is important for those who have left the WTS to see the similarities to the cult mentioned in the article. Some of us may have felt that the WTS trapped us due to our ignorance, and that other groups are not similar in tactics, hence a lowering of our self-esteem. Seeing that many other similar cults are active, using similar teachings and methods of oppression, is positive to those people, in a painful sort of way. Though I dislike the axiom, there can be comfort in knowing that we were not the only ones duped. A look at the list of likely cults listed on Steve Hassan's site has the same effect on me. Of course it also has the effect of making me anxious to find a way to stem the pain of others so afflicted. Such pain is not easily assuaged. Jeff

• halcyon
    halcyon

Holy cow! Today is the first time I've ever heard of this group, and wow! after two hours of googling, I'm simply amazed!

AK - Jeff, you are right on the money with your comment. I guess I wasn't feeling "dumb" for being duped, but it really made me draw parallels to how HUMAN these organizations really are. Nothing God-inspired about them.

So it makes me a whole less fearful of the "what if they were right?" question.

• carla
    carla

Can't they get someone to bounce the site out of China or somewhere if needed? Not technically sophisticated to know, but seems like they should be able to.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Information wants to be free! Life will find a way!

Let the WT spend their precious time and resources fighting an unwinnable battle!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Friends, for your replies ...

See you again in a week. Off and running.

Love,

CoCo

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That sure sounds familiar--the Washtowel Slaveholdery has been attempting to close web sites that are against the witless religion ever since such sites began to appear. They succeeded in closing Quotes down, and they are currently attacking other sites by threatening to sue anyone that posts an "apostate" web site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit