Did your Parents force you to do School Projects out of the JW magazines

by orangefatcat 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

My dad was not that bad, but he said it they have hold of the pulse of the world; (i thought ah that is BS!)

• Nowman
    Nowman

I forgot about this!

The worst one was I had to pick a subject to give a presentation on in my speech class, my parents made me do it on how all the different races, and nationalities came about...it was crazy standing up there in front of all the non-JW kids, and I was so scared! I worked so hard on it though, in the end, I was made of big time at school for months!

I remember how bored all the kids looked and they probably wondered why in the world I would have picked that subject for my speech, I wonder what the teacher was thinking, but she knew I was a JW...

Nikki

• penny2
    penny2

I wasn't forced, I did it voluntarily. And I did usually get A's.

Let's face it, most of the stuff you learn in school isn't rocket science (at least the subjects most JWs do). So some of the Awake magazines would fit in OK.

• Kudra
    Kudra

mmm, some of the stuff in the Awake was ok for school- like, up til 5th grade.

My worst EVER was a paper I did in COLLEGE. Well, it was an ethnobotany class and the topic was "What was the most important plant to humans over the course of history?" Well, the professor was looking for cotton, or hemp, or wheat or something like that I think. The body of the paper was where we had to back up our position.

Can you imagine: I chose ...The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Bad. (or the Tree of Life? Were there two?? I never can remember.)

I had all these reasons why it was so important to the destiny of mankind... ugh. Looking back on it I am so utterly embarrassed. I am less embarrassed now but still...

I supposed that you COULD make a point about that "plant" being the most important if you consider it being the foundation of Christianity and that Christianity spurned the Crusades etc and a lot of the religious intolerance we see today... but you all know that wasn't the tack I took as a steadfast JW...

Can you imagine, a junior in a University writing that??? I was really seriously a brainwashed JW.

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

Spawned! I meant spawned the crusades! ugh, JWism kills my brain.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I remember my first oral compostion, it came from a WT I think in 1965 the subject was Is There Life in Outer Space,

So of course momzy and popzy see this article and suggest strenuously that I do an oral presentation on this subject. Momzy says yes you can turn it into a good witness to your teacher and class mates. Wow mom just what I needed.

So me as obedient as I was prepare this five minute speech. Of course it is all about the angels, God and Jesus Christ and evil angels that were hurled down from heaven. I mean do you think any other grade six student gives a rats ass about all of this. Apparently neither did my teacher, he gave me an F

However when it came around to doing my second speech I choose the topic from the Awake mag. It was about the Sign Language, Not only did I get an great big A I also got to present it to several other classes in the school and that was cool that one. But I practised that speech long and hard and taught myself the sign language.which went over very well.

My fellow students didn' t like me from then on. I was also chosen to do the presentation in the school auditorium in front of all the students.

Oh well. Being a witness had a lot of down sides to it, who am I kidding it had major downsides to it.

Being a student and different was really a hard thing to do. I use to get beaten up all the time after school and even had my coat set on fire with a ciggarette and had been beaten up punched in the face and spat upon in the face with phelgm.

Fun eh?

Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit