Worshiping the cross

by Amyfa 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

There is a poster on here called reniaa and she has said a few times that we worship the cross. I know I don't and know my family don't. So I decided to look into it to find out if what she is saying is true.

I asked between 40 and 50 people who I know are Christians and they all said NO why would anyone worship a cross, what can a piece of wood or metal do for us, why would we worship it, how can you pray to a cross.

Is this something the watchtower tells their followers we do?

I had never heard of worshiping the cross until Reniaa kept saying it's what we do.

• carla
    carla

Yes, they say we 'worship' the cross not what it represents (the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross & the forgiveness of sin, etc......) They also say we evil folks who have Christmas trees actually worship the tree. Me & my jw had a doozer about that once! Here is a man who grew up with Christmas (he joined the cult later in life) and claimed some people actually kneel down and worship at the foot of a Christmas tree. Can you imagine such insanity? finally he admitted it may be an erroneous conclusion about Christmas trees but not until after the most ridiculous assinine conversation on the face of the planet.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I worship my wife. Am I evil too?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't and I do not know of any Christians that do. Christians honor and worship what it represents. The cross isn't an idol, it isn't something that people are supposed to worship. It is a reminder of the of Jesus' sacrifice and of his death and resurrection. A gift of love. It's a reminder to those that believe in all that God has done for all of us. It isn't to be worshipped or prayed to, it's a reminder of the One who should be worshipped and prayed to: God. The reason people wear the cross and keep the cross on the altars of their churches is that it is always and constantly a reminder of that sacrifice.

1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Galatians 6:14
    May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

BTS

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I do not worship the cross, but it provides a reminder of the sacrifice made to provide me the chance for eternal life.

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

To me it is a reminder of the sacrifice as well.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I reflect on what it means and it reminds me of what I was taught about God as a child.

That he loves everyone, and he died for all,

not just a few who proclaim loyalty to the WTBTS.

• Mary
    Mary
    There is a poster on here called reniaa and she has said a few times that we worship the cross. I know I don't and know my family don't. So I decided to look into it to find out if what she is saying is true.......I had never heard of worshiping the cross until Reniaa kept saying it's what we do.

Well if Reniaa says it---it must be true!!

Seriously though, yes, this is something that Witnesses are taught: That other Christians all "worship" the cross. Of course, they have no evidence that they do, but since this sort of crap is written down in the Watchtower, then no Witness is allowed to question it. For myself, I don't know anyone who "worships" the Cross----they might have a cross for a necklace or have a cross in their homes but it's more a representation and reminder of Christs' sacrifice for mankind----not an object that they worship.

Reniaa is a typical Witness: she will completely ignore all the evidence showing that Jesus did, in fact, die in a cross, and will simply claim it was an "upright stake". Why? Because that's what the Borganization says. If they conceded tomorrow that Jesus did die on a Cross (like they did in years gone by), Reniaa would change her tune completely.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Yes, the worship of the cross is a WT lie. Chirstians do not worship the cross. It is a reminder to them of what Jesus did for us. They do not pray to the cross...they may well pray with a cross in their presence as a reminder...that is all. Any who claim that "false religions engage in worship of the cross" are simply parroting back what the WT tells them.

They do this to create a strawman logic...in misprepresenting the facts they create a sin that all other religions engage in and then lambast them for it.

Reniaa is simply regurgitating what the WT tells her.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Reniaa is simply regurgitating what the WT tells her.

She's a typical JW troll who posts on this board to incite hatred.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit