JW wife loves Wiz of OZ...says it is not demonic in any way??

by oompa 29 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I am sure there is much material in it that one can pick out symbolism and criticize it for that. Most people are familiar with the 1939 version with Judy Garland. I see a lot of campy humor in that version and obvious gay references. It surprises me that anti gay religious groups are not complaining about that element instead of the demonphobes.

When Jesus was shuffling about making an invisible comeback in 1914 an Oz version was made, His Majesty the Scarecrow of Oz. It was a silent film that only barely resembled the 1939 version. A 1925 silent version was made starring Dorothy Dwan as Dorothy. It also starred Oliver Hardy as the tin woodsman. It had a passing resemblance to the Oz story, but was mostly a vehicle for director/actor Larry Semon's onscreen slapstick antics.

I grew up in a house with no TV for many years, and then we had a B&W set that I watched Oz on. I never saw it in color until a few years ago when I got it on DVD. So I missed a lot of stuff, like the transition from a sepia Kansas to Technicolor Oz. A horse of a different color indeed!

• oompa
    oompa
    beks:You're a weird little guy with a hunchback, what are you talking about?!

rolitflamao....no my superfine idol has a hunchback that moves from side to side....you need to meet me........oomps

• beksbks
    beksbks
    the transition from a sepia Kansas to Technicolor Oz

Ohhhh Honey Bunny is a tech dude, and has interaction with people from all over. He was telling me, that a group from Russia were discussing this movie, younger people, and that one said something about a colorized version.

He had to explain the actuality of it. I found that rather cool in 2008.

• oompa
    oompa

geeze this is weird...i have posted here a bit...but have NEVER had so many responses from one of my posts so quickly!....and this is not even a WT or Bible post!..........oompa

wiz of oz must rule................

• beksbks
    beksbks
    have NEVER has so many responses from one of my posts so quickly!....and this is not even a WT or Bible post!..........oompa

There's your clue!!!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I agree with the JWS that the Wiz of OZ should be banned from view, do to its demon inspired content, viewing it should

is akin to supporting the dark side of Satan.

Cinderella and Snow White are two other movies that should be banned for their spiritualism and magic.

Isn't it obvious

• beksbks
    beksbks

You're so mean!!!!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

There are at least 2 witches and various magic spells, magic shoes,

*** w92 12/15 p. 6 How Can the Gospel Benefit You? ***Another individual, Isabel, also needed help, for she was known for her bad temper. She was deeply involved in spiritism and witchcraft and was tormented by demons.

*** w83 1/15 pp. 8-9 Modern Trends in Music—Can They Sway You? ***For example, one group plays a piece called "Mr. Crowley." Who is Mr. Crowley? A 20th-century satanist and promoter of modern witchcraft! In many cases, one look at the album cover should be enough for a Christian witness of Jehovah to decide whether to buy the record or not, especially when there are portrayals of witchcraft and demonism, or symbols of paganism and the occult.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

When I was little the Wizard of Oz came on TV once a year. It was an event in my family. My JW dad popped popcorn and the whole family watched it every year. It was a family favorite.

Fast forward 25 years and my Dad asks me one day what I'm currently reading. My response, "Harry Potter." My dad goes into his rant about how it's demonic and yadda yadda yadda... I ask him if he's read the books and he says no. So I ask him what it is he's basing his opinion that the books are demonic on. Well, it's about wizards and witches. My brother calmly raises an eyebrow and says, "You mean like the Wizard of Oz?" I so wish I had credit for that one. I always love the one line that shuts my dad up ;)

Jackie

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Mysticism is a fantasy, its part of are imagination

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit